Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by nuckster »

I saw this quote by Green that kind of addresses my concern around how he sees Goldobin:

"There are not many players in the game who take shortcuts....the best players work hard all over the rink. We want Goldy to be a full-time NHL player you can win with. I’m not interested in having 20-goal scorers you lose with.”
cc oldtimer
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

nuckster wrote:I saw this quote by Green that kind of addresses my concern around how he sees Goldobin:

"There are not many players in the game who take shortcuts....the best players work hard all over the rink. We want Goldy to be a full-time NHL player you can win with. I’m not interested in having 20-goal scorers you lose with.”
Well I hope it works for Goldy, he definitely has the skill he just needs to learn the nuances of the game - the little details that can help a team win.

If Green can get Goldy to learn that, TG deserves kudos.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:It is just the Canucks luck. :(
You guys are so used to coming out on the wrong end of the favour of the Hockey Gawds that you don't know what it looks like when they throw you a bone.
I like that you've put a silver lining on things. And you provide great reasons.

But it is far from ideal. Being in the playoff race, with young players taking on key roles and their roster spots, that's ideal for their development. And for entertainment. Losing is a cancer. Thinking you've "made it" by holding down a roster spot on a 75 point team is like pouring a bowl of cereal and calling yourself a chef.

This team looked like a team that could battle for a playoff spot a week ago. The record wasn't fluky. The success was earned. There was obviously room for improvement, but step by step the confidence was growing.

Exit two guys on the first line to combine with loss of 2 guys on the checking line that was such a big part of a decent October and what do you have?

A team that is looking like and playing like their dog got hit by a car. Or their season is over.

Now we've only seen 3 games without Horvat (and mostly without Baerstchi). There is time to get it back together. But I don't think there is the personnel. Still, the dangerous thing isn't whether they get it back together, it is whether they shake the expect-to-lose mentality that I fear is creeping in.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

UWSaint wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:It is just the Canucks luck. :(
You guys are so used to coming out on the wrong end of the favour of the Hockey Gawds that you don't know what it looks like when they throw you a bone.
I like that you've put a silver lining on things. And you provide great reasons.

But it is far from ideal. Being in the playoff race, with young players taking on key roles and their roster spots, that's ideal for their development. And for entertainment. Losing is a cancer. Thinking you've "made it" by holding down a roster spot on a 75 point team is like pouring a bowl of cereal and calling yourself a chef.

This team looked like a team that could battle for a playoff spot a week ago. The record wasn't fluky. The success was earned. There was obviously room for improvement, but step by step the confidence was growing.

Exit two guys on the first line to combine with loss of 2 guys on the checking line that was such a big part of a decent October and what do you have?

A team that is looking like and playing like their dog got hit by a car. Or their season is over.

Now we've only seen 3 games without Horvat (and mostly without Baerstchi). There is time to get it back together. But I don't think there is the personnel. Still, the dangerous thing isn't whether they get it back together, it is whether they shake the expect-to-lose mentality that I fear is creeping in.
+1 Great post. Very well said.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Per wrote:
micky107 wrote:
TDA Rum wrote:Dan Murphy‏Verified account
@sportsnetmurph
1m1 minute ago
More
Baertschi out 4-6 weeks with fractured jaw. #canucks
The time frame is bad enough.
Even worse will be if when he returns, he has to wear one of those caged full head protection things
like Gagner did after Kassian sucker sticked him when he was an Oiler. Was never the same.
It ruins your game and completely destroys your on-ice awareness.
IMO, it's better not to play games until it isn't needed.
I suppose a person would have to have played hockey at a pretty high level to know what I mean.
There is much more to on-ice awareness than is generally talked about. Like using the glass around the arena
out of the corner of your eye to help you read the ongoing play. Stuff like that.
Then of course there is the equilibrium difference. There is a lot to it.
If Öhlund could play with just one good eye, I'm sure Baertschi can play with a goalie mask...
Well Per ,Fred obviously knows because he has played at a high level
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Well Per ,Fred obviously knows because he has played at a high level
Playing high and with a bird cage on sounds exactly like something Fred would do.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Well Per ,Fred obviously knows because he has played at a high level
Playing high and with a bird cage on sounds exactly like something Fred would do.
:lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Question...why has Gudbransons name been in trade talks since we got him? Has there been comments made leading everyone to this?

He seems like a natural to hang onto given the state of the franchises' defensive depth
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Question...why has Gudbransons name been in trade talks since we got him? Has there been comments made leading everyone to this?

He seems like a natural to hang onto given the state of the franchises' defensive depth
Yeah should keep him if the price is right.

JB should do the classic early 2000's Senators move and ask all the players with NTC's to ask if they can waive em and make a list of teams on who they can trade with.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Just once somebody stand up for themselves here Just one time please...

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

olpaddy wrote:Just once somebody stand up for themselves here Just one time please...

Retaliation is for pussies.
They need to be starting that shit not reacting...

i’d Like a couple of assholes under the tree this year please.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
The only thing high is you. On yourself!
Typical prima donna forum boy. Sarcasm is pretty bad but you better stick with it cause you know sweet FA about
the game and it shows.
Maybe you should listen harder when hanging around the water cooler.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

We have an angry little guy here
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:We have an angry little guy here

Why is he responding to posts about Fred?
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:We have an angry little guy here

Why is he responding to posts about Fred?
:lol:
If you need air...call it in