Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Hockey Widow »

Goldobin is slated in to replace Baertschi, Green confirmed today. This is good news for him as he will get a long stretch without fearing a mistake will see him benched. Of course Reid Boucher leads Comets offensively and is getting Cull's praise. I guess we could see him recalled but with Sutter expected back sometime next week maybe not.

The good news on Baertschi is that he did not require surgery but it does mean he will have a liquid Christmas.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

TDA Rum wrote:Dan Murphy‏Verified account
@sportsnetmurph
1m1 minute ago
More
Baertschi out 4-6 weeks with fractured jaw. #canucks
The time frame is bad enough.
Even worse will be if when he returns, he has to wear one of those caged full head protection things
like Gagner did after Kassian sucker sticked him when he was an Oiler. Was never the same.
It ruins your game and completely destroys your on-ice awareness.
IMO, it's better not to play games until it isn't needed.
I suppose a person would have to have played hockey at a pretty high level to know what I mean.
There is much more to on-ice awareness than is generally talked about. Like using the glass around the arena
out of the corner of your eye to help you read the ongoing play. Stuff like that.
Then of course there is the equilibrium difference. There is a lot to it.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Goldobin is slated in to replace Baertschi, Green confirmed today. This is good news for him as he will get a long stretch without fearing a mistake will see him benched. Of course Reid Boucher leads Comets offensively and is getting Cull's praise. I guess we could see him recalled but with Sutter expected back sometime next week maybe not.
I think Boucher's ship has sailed as a part of the club's future. IMO he's a more offensively talented Chaput/Megna - a placeholder who can skate at the AHL/NHL until one of the prospects is ready. If Goldobin is ready for a look (and his window is closing IMO) then management should let him loose and see how he can progress with the ice time. Hope he grabs this opportunity with both hands.
Hockey Widow wrote:The good news on Baertschi is that he did not require surgery but it does mean he will have a liquid Christmas.
That's the downside of these injuries - the strength and mass he will lose as a result of his temporary diet will put him behind the 8-ball when he comes back. So much for Christmas turkey. :wink:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

micky107 wrote:...
Even worse will be if when he returns, he has to wear one of those caged full head protection things
like Gagner did after Kassian sucker punched him when he was an Oiler. Was never the same.
I suppose a person would have to have played hockey at a pretty high level to know what I mean.
Kassian didn't sucker punch Gagner on that occasion, the broken jaw was a result of an extremely careless high stick on Kassian's part. See the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7iBrFWVXsE
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Lancer wrote:That's the downside of these injuries - the strength and mass he will lose as a result of his temporary diet will put him behind the 8-ball when he comes back. So much for Christmas turkey. :wink:
Hello egg nog!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
micky107 wrote:...
like Gagner did after Kassian sucker punched him when he was an Oiler. Was never the same.
Kassian didn't sucker punch Gagner on that occasion, the broken jaw was a result of an extremely careless high stick on Kassian's part. See the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7iBrFWVXsE
I fixed it for ya. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Jovocop wrote:
@sportsnetmurph
1m1 minute ago
More
Wow, the Canucks will have a tough time staying alive in the next few weeks with 2 of the top 6 out. :(
Yup. They've done a great job overcoming the several early season injuries but now they are really start to overlap and pile up. These ones, i fear, will put them in a spot that I just don't think they will recover from in terms of a playoff spot that they would have been hard pressed to secure as it is.

It sure seems the last three seasons have had more injuries and man games lost than ever before in this team's injury plagued history. That's just an impression i have - anyone have actual numbers? Im not knowledgeable in the realm of team health procedures like preventive measures, maintenance of minor hurts, general health and conditioning programs, and so on - and I realize injuries like baerstchi's are a fluke - but i still wonder sometimes, did they do themselves a disservice firing Mike Burnstein at the end of the 14/15 season. On the surface it seems like things have gotten worse in terms of overall club health and it's becoming quite a decent sample size now.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
@sportsnetmurph
1m1 minute ago
More
Wow, the Canucks will have a tough time staying alive in the next few weeks with 2 of the top 6 out. :(
Yup. They've done a great job overcoming the several early season injuries but now they are really start to overlap and pile up. These ones, i fear, will put them in a spot that I just don't think they will recover from in terms of a playoff spot that they would have been hard pressed to secure as it is.

It sure seems the last three seasons have had more injuries and man games lost than ever before in this team's injury plagued history. That's just an impression i have - anyone have actual numbers? Im not knowledgeable in the realm of team health procedures like preventive measures, maintenance of minor hurts, general health and conditioning programs, and so on - and I realize injuries like baerstchi's are a fluke - but i still wonder sometimes, did they do themselves a disservice firing Mike Burnstein at the end of the 14/15 season. On the surface it seems like things have gotten worse in terms of overall club health and it's becoming quite a decent sample size now.
It is just the Canucks luck. :(
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Someone better start a game day thread for tonight. I'm on a losing streak!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Jovocop wrote:It is just the Canucks luck. :(
You guys are so used to coming out on the wrong end of the favour of the Hockey Gawds that you don't know what it looks like when they throw you a bone.

Horvat and Baertschi are out for an extended period this season with injuries. Bad for them, in that I'm sure they'd rather play, but good for your team over the longer term in that:

1) The organization gets a chance to see what it has for depth (e.g. what do they have in Goldobin, at least at this stage)
2) Neither injury (Fred's opinion notwithstanding) looks to be a long-term threat to their careers
3) A weaker season statistically will make Baertschi cheaper to re-sign
4) Being clearly out of the playoffs at the deadline will mean that the ownership/management group will not be tempted to be buyers at the deadline, and might be persuaded to be sellers
5) With productive young players out, veterans will be asked to step up. This might improve their stats and inflate their trade deadline value.
6) Out of the playoffs keeps the team in the lottery

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the best chance for the Canucks to win a Cup is for the GM that many here think is a drafting genius to have as many picks as high in the rotation as possible until such time as the best of those picks are roster mainstays. Like maybe 1-2 years from now (depending on how fast Lidström-lite and Forsberg-lite can physically mature, and whether or how long it takes for the Treant to come back).
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
You guys are so used to coming out on the wrong end of the favour of the Hockey Gawds that you don't know what it looks like when they throw you a bone.

Horvat and Baertschi are out for an extended period this season with injuries. Bad for them, in that I'm sure they'd rather play, but good for your team over the longer term in that:

1) The organization gets a chance to see what it has for depth (e.g. what do they have in Goldobin, at least at this stage)
2) Neither injury (Fred's opinion notwithstanding) looks to be a long-term threat to their careers
4) Being clearly out of the playoffs at the deadline will mean that the ownership/management group will not be tempted to be buyers at the deadline, and might be persuaded to be sellers
5) With productive young players out, veterans will be asked to step up. This might improve their stats and inflate their trade deadline value.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the best chance for the Canucks to win a Cup is for the GM that many here think is a drafting genius to have as many picks as high in the rotation as possible until such time as the best of those picks are roster mainstays. Like maybe 1-2 years from now (depending on how fast Lidström-lite and Forsberg-lite can physically mature, and whether or how long it takes for the Treant to come back).
great points....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m not sure Elmer can survive another bottom five finish especially with some of the long term shitty contracts he has saddled the team with. FTR I’d extend him a year as I hate the lame duck GM and what he may do. I think he has gotten a bit better over his tenure but I’m not sure I’d trust him with the chequebook next summer if he is still around.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I’m not sure Elmer can survive another bottom five finish...
Managing a rebuild does require ownership that understands it's a rebuild (and in JB's defence, that might have been much of what was lacking in those years that walked, swam, flew, and quacked like a "retool on the fly"), and then their patience and confidence. If the plan really did change at the end of last season, that might also have been a re-set on his evaluation period.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:

A few decent silver lining points. I'm one who just likes the team to do well, compete and preferably win. The tank theory has been shot full of holes the last two off seasons with no need to rehash. Not to mention their golden boy (boeser), whose impressive body of work is now growing in length without tapering off, was picked up at 23. I have no idea in hell why goldobin sits tonight. Total WTF move. If you aren't going to play him then send him back or move him before you shatter any value he has.
0-3 trying the likes of Chaput Dowd and Gaunce. They aren't scoring and not keeping the puck out of the net either so why not try your hand with Goldy and say Boucher? Can't do any worse defensively.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I’m not sure Elmer can survive another bottom five finish especially with some of the long term shitty contracts he has saddled the team with. FTR I’d extend him a year as I hate the lame duck GM and what he may do. I think he has gotten a bit better over his tenure but I’m not sure I’d trust him with the chequebook next summer if he is still around.
Wow talk about misrepresenting the facts. When your boy Gillis got his papers the team was loaded with NTC's and players at the end of their useful careers. There was nothing on the farm and what? Horvat in the pipeline?

With no options, this was always going to be at least a 5 year tour of NHL sewer. Long term contracts or no long term contracts.

However, here is the fact you cannot deny without being labelled a troll... Never in 50 years have the Canuck's had so many potential NHL players in the pipeline from Benning's draft picks.

It may take a year or two, but as those players come on line and those LTC's expire... This team will be on the upswing as those teams on the top now, will be on the way down. Then even you Blob, will not be able to deny.