Pens move to Hartford?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Where would you like to see the Pens moved to?

Stay in Pittsburgh
11%
Hartford
4%
Winnipeg
74%
Hamilton
No votes
Elsewhere (specify)
11%

Total votes: 27

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Pens move to Hartford?

Post by jchockey »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=161588&hubname=

I don't exactly remember, but what was the reason behind the Whalers' move to Carolina? Mellon Arena has received criticism for being old and small, yet the prospective buyer is looking to build a 16 000 seat arena? Isn't that kind of ironic?
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I don't care when or by who or why they move the Pens but I sure think they should go to Winnipeg. It has always been my feeling that the good people of Manitoba were ripped off when the moved the Jets.
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

how do I vote in this poll?

As a recovering Jets fan ( I watched them break the record for consecutive losses by a professional sports team in the 80s) I'd love to see the 'Peg get back in the game.

The question is whether or not the Blue collar fan base that used to fill the Winnipeg area could afford modern NHL ticket prices. The salary cap was supposed to deal with that, but we all have seen what's happened to ticket prices in Vancouver.

Check out http://www.jetsowner.com/
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

Here's a logo for ya!

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Go to Quebec!!!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

I vote for Portland, even though Winnipeg would really be the best choice from a hockey perspective. But as I'm selfish, I want the Penguins to move to Portland because it suits my vacation plans better... It's rather boring to go by car from California to Vancouver without having any decent stops along the way ;)
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I have always felt bad for the abandoned fans in Winnipeg. They really got shafted. So, I voted for the 'Peg. However, the fan base in Hartford was pretty loyal as well. If I recall, they too lost their team for 'luxury box' reasons.

It strikes me that Winnipeg and Hartford are less fairweather hockey fans than those in Pittsburgh. (there's nothing fairweather about Winnipeg) ;)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Winnipeg deserves a team ceratinly but when they built the new arena they mader it to small for an NHL franchise. The flightless birds will not go to Hartford within stones throw of 5 other teams. The TV market there has already filled it's NHL quota, Portland looks good, big arena Rose Garden and history to go with it although the Winterhawks are pretty popular.
cheers
Fin
AHL Prospect

Post by Fin »

Winnipeg
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Winnipeg .. no doubt ... they were driven out of the NHL because of economics ... I think under this new system they should be given another chance ... the fans there were always quite supportive.

Grizz
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Didn't the 'Peg just blow up thier old arena a couple weeks ago??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Didn't the 'Peg just blow up thier old arena a couple weeks ago??
Yeah last week but they built the new one i believe with only 14,000 seat Capacity,what ever the figure it's to small in NHL terms
cheers
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

14,000 is a couple thousand short of ecomic stabilty I think. Hartford would be a mistake unless they get a new arena. Portland might lose their basketball team, Paul Allen isn't making money so what makes anyone think hockey would sell if basketball won't? Also heard that Kansas City was also interested, another band aid IMO.

Toronto could use a team! :mrgreen: Toronto Maple Penguins sounds good to me!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!