Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by nuckster »

We should build a shrine - 'here lies the written prediction of a poster on a low volume hockey poster board'. Praise be.
cc oldtimer
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Someone posted an Elias Pettersson highlight reel for September/October:

So, yeah, we've seen most of those before, but damn, he has some smooth hands! :D

Some of those goals make me think of the Harlem Globetrotters.....
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Per wrote:Someone posted an Elias Pettersson highlight reel for September/October:

So, yeah, we've seen most of those before, but damn, he has some smooth hands! :D

Some of those goals make me think of the Harlem Globetrotters.....
Besides accurate one-timers, Pettersson can really stickhandle and pass the puck.

Young players like Boeser, Horvat and Virtanen are already contributing in the NHL. The Canucks also have a lot of talents in the pipeline, Goldobin, Dahlen, Juolevi, Gaudette, Lockwood, Demko, Lind, Gadjovich and Tryamkin (if he ever decides to come back to NA). There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about the Canucks' future.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Not to mention, quite likely, making Vancouver a more attractive destination, once again..
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Pettersson translates into the NHL it sure will be nice to have he and Boeser in the top six, on different lines. That could give us that elusive secondary scoring we always missed during the West Coast Express days and during the twins hay day.

How many times did we bemoan the fact that after our top line talent and skill fell off dramatically, especially when all we had were the twins carrying our offence.

It sets up to be an exciting time for sure. The Horvat line followed up with

Dahlen/Pettersson/Goldobin!
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That video clip was all about how not to pull a groin if you are a goalie!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pettersson the energizer bunny - just keeps going and going with the scoring. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote:Pettersson the energizer bunny - just keeps going and going with the scoring. :o
You can say that again; he assisted on the first goal and scored the next two as the Växjö Lakers beat Malmö Redhawks 4-2 last night. Weirdly, he was not involved in their fourth goal. :o

http://www.shl.se/play/video/Malmo_Redh ... autoplay=1
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Per, any insight on Dahlen? He's 7th in scoring in Allsvenskan (9g/9a in 13gp), but with 7 fewer GP he is leading in PPG by quite a bit at 1.38.

I wonder if there's any precedent for an NHL club influencing a Euro team to trade a player to a different/more competitive league.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:Per, any insight on Dahlen? He's 7th in scoring in Allsvenskan (9g/9a in 13gp), but with 7 fewer GP he is leading in PPG by quite a bit at 1.38.

I wonder if there's any precedent for an NHL club influencing a Euro team to trade a player to a different/more competitive league.

Now I'm not Per nor do I have any insight to which you ask, but......

The plan with Dahlen was to play in Utica but mono got in the way. The Canucks sent him back to Sweden to to play his way back to being healthy. But, his contract has an out window after January which will allow him to return to North America. So I'm assuming the plan is to try and get him back to Utica in the New Year.

Benning has previously said he feels he needs to be on the North American ice as the next step in his development.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Thanks HW.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in that plan - play himself back into shape in a league that is less physical and (arguably) less challenging than the AHL.

Then transfer to a more challenging league after a few months to continue upwards on the development curve.

I wish this gradual approach had been taken with Rodin, but I suppose he needed to be seen in an NHL camp/preseason.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:Thanks HW.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in that plan - play himself back into shape in a league that is less physical and (arguably) less challenging than the AHL.

Then transfer to a more challenging league after a few months to continue upwards on the development curve.

I wish this gradual approach had been taken with Rodin, but I suppose he needed to be seen in an NHL camp/preseason.
Rodin got caught in a numbers game. First, he didn't do enough in camp to earn a spot over anyone that was kept. His bad luck, we signed Burmistrov, Gagne and Vanek.

Second he was in a numbers game in Utica due to their veteran rule. When he did play he wasn't showing enough to stay in the line up.

But I guess if what you are saying is loan him out to the SEL for 2-3 months then bring him back, not sure that was possible or would even be allowed.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

End of the day, Rodin wasn't good enough.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ESQ wrote:Per, any insight on Dahlen? He's 7th in scoring in Allsvenskan (9g/9a in 13gp), but with 7 fewer GP he is leading in PPG by quite a bit at 1.38.

Well, obviously he is too good for the league his in...
That being said, Swedish teams are not farm teams. They will do whatever is best for the team. That particular team. And what is best for them is of course to keep him. Two teams from the SHA will get to challenge the two worst teams from the SHL over a seven game series for SHL status next year. This means an SHA team has really strong motivation to finish at the top, and to have a roster that can compete with an SHL roster.

Still, Dahlén has some out clauses in his contract, so he can decide to leave the team and play elsewhere, under certain conditions. Not sure exactly what the contract stipulates, but there has been widespread speculation that he will transfer to the SHL or the Swiss league (they offer good money) at some point.
Perhaps even go back to Utica. We'll have to wait and see.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:End of the day, Rodin wasn't good enough.
End of the day, Rödin never got a fair shot at proving himself in the NHL.

That freak knee injury was really unfortunate both for him and the Canucks.
The way he played that last season in Sweden, that was definitely NHL worthy.