Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Mickey107 »

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-d-juolevi-s-2 ... d-1.871805

forgive the writer's f instead of h

rather complicated eh ?
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Thanks for posting that micky.

It explains a lot and why his agent said it looks like he's heading to London. London obviously won't grant permission for him to go to Europe so his agent needs to figure it all out. If MacKenzie has it right, and he usually does, I assume his agent is working hard to make Europe happen.

I think the concerns about him playing on the big ice are valid but I also think there are huge benefits to playing in Europe, especially if it's with Salo. It would also be nice for him to get some chemistry with Palmu.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Juolevi will come around - top pairing dman

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote: :lol: :lol: are you really trying to compare Brad Fucking Ference (the junkyard dog) to Juolevi now? bro relax man.
Can't relax dude have to have clean piss or its rehab. God damn Nazis with their rules.
If Jew-levy sucks and fails then you will start looking for comparable. Consider me ahead of the curve

Edit-I'm gonna cut myself out of the bust camp right now before everyone jumps all over me. I don't think he's a bust at all like ference but I do doubt he tops out as a franchise type top pairing guy. Ollie Maata seems like his ceiling which is decent.

The needs of the franchise unfortunately lead us all to hope but the reality is generally far less intriguing
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: I think the concerns about him playing on the big ice are valid but I also think there are huge benefits to playing in Europe, especially if it's with Salo. It would also be nice for him to get some chemistry with Palmu.
Why the constant need to overthink things? I'd keep him in London. That place is a pro factory, and he didn't exactly blow the league out of the water in his draft +1 season. Very rare are the players that have nothing left to prove in junior. Is Juolevi at that level?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don't agree with INbred much but I agree London is the best place for him, they're going to be a good team again anyways with Pu, Thomas and Jones all heading back there. London he goes. It will be a good wake up call for him, sounds like Olli might be a bit too arrogant and cocky for his own good. He seems to be doing the Jake Virtanen in the head, "I just need to talk the talk and not walk it, cause well, I'm a 5th overall draft pick, I'm great"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And Victor Meat looks like he might make the Habs.

I agree about Juolevi going back to London. The Hunters have been putting a lot of youngsters into the NHL lately and it isn't like Juolevi dominated that league. He wasn't even the best defender on his team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I believe Olli will be a very good defensemen in the NHL "one day". He's just not playing with any conviction at all, the tools are there, no arguing that. He seems to need an attitude adjustment or a wake up call since his cockiness is well documented. Going back to the OHL is the slap in the face he needs.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Juolevi will come around - top pairing dman

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Can't relax dude have to have clean piss or its rehab. God damn Nazis with their rules.
If Jew-levy sucks and fails then you will start looking for comparable. Consider me ahead of the curve
lol that's rough pal.
RoyalDude wrote:I believe Olli will be a very good defensemen in the NHL "one day". He's just not playing with any conviction at all, the tools are there, no arguing that. He seems to need an attitude adjustment or a wake up call since his cockiness is well documented. Going back to the OHL is the slap in the face he needs.
6'2 190lb Thomas Chabot (who gets more love than 6'2 183lbs Juolevi) who also has a full year of more development than Juolevi just got sent to the AHL. I can see a similar path for OJ, one more year in junior & then some time in the AHL to further acquaint himself to the pro's speed and strength, don't rush the OJ.

Jesse Puljujarvi also sent down to the AHL, crazy hey how he was so closely regarded to Laine at one point during pre-draft.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Does anybody know, will Virtanen lose his waiver-exemption as soon as he hits the NHL gp threshold? Or will he lose the exemption the season after he hits the threshold?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote:Does anybody know, will Virtanen lose his waiver-exemption as soon as he hits the NHL gp threshold? Or will he lose the exemption the season after he hits the threshold?
He will need to clear waivers next year. As far as I know he is fine to go up and down this year without waivers
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:I believe Olli will be a very good defensemen in the NHL "one day". He's just not playing with any conviction at all, the tools are there, no arguing that. He seems to need an attitude adjustment or a wake up call since his cockiness is well documented. Going back to the OHL is the slap in the face he needs.
Olli just needs to follow Jake's example. Just go wherever the Canucks assign him whether it be Utica, London or Europe. Have 2 a days and show up to the rink to meet with his coach for 1-1 time at midnight to watch videos, skate, workout. No one around, nice and private, they can do whatever they want. What happens @ the rink stays @ the rink. *ahem* *brokeback mtn* *ahem* *LOL* Then in the summer, live @ his mother's basement in the burbs. Just do nothing but skate, workout and work on his skillz, don't go into the city @ all to avoid all temptations/distractions. :lol:

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:I will say that although Juolevi will be a fine NHL'er, passing on Tkachuk was not so genius. Benning got too wrapped up in OJ's Lightning in a Bottle WJC performance. like I said OJ will be fine but this organization on many different levels, mainly waning fan interest, could use the media hype and fan interest that Tkachuk drums up, not too mention this city loves Tkachuk type a-holes. oh well, it is what it is

Lol were you on a bender when you posted this ? Stepping out of line a bit buds. What is Doc gonna say ?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I will say that although Juolevi will be a fine NHL'er, passing on Tkachuk was not so genius. Benning got too wrapped up in OJ's Lightning in a Bottle WJC performance. like I said OJ will be fine but this organization on many different levels, mainly waning fan interest, could use the media hype and fan interest that Tkachuk drums up, not too mention this city loves Tkachuk type a-holes. oh well, it is what it is

Lol were you on a bender when you posted this ? Stepping out of line a bit buds. What is Doc gonna say ?
Nothing compared to the two week bender you have obviously been on. I posted that Oct. 1st
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Doesn't matter when you posted it. Doc will have your nuts in a sling
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Why the Canucks were bad for all those decades, sans not winning the draft lotto ever they were atrocious at drafting overall since 1970.

https://sports.yahoo.com/canucks-won-fi ... 39889.html

Which is why I'm more hopeful for the Canuck future under the tutelage of JB.
Sure Nylander/Ehlers>>>Virtanen, but JV is only going to get better and become the rare power forward this team can't seem to acquire since Bertuzzi left.

Lost 2016 lotto to miss out on Auston Matthews, Laine, but got a pivotal dman in Olli Juolevi whom the team can use a #1b type dman to hold the fort in the future, sure he's no assholey Tkachuk who can chip in points, but JV could slowly evolve into that.
Plus the Canucks defense is looking shaky as it is, they are going to need a future Edler who can log 25+ minutes and help the future MDZ's play on the 2nd pairing.

Lost the 2017 lotto to miss out on Patrick, Hischier, but still got Mr Elias whom imo has elite talent for a possible #1 center in a few years.

:arrow: Notably even on that playoff run in 2014, that draft year after Jim Benning picked our current best forward in Brock Boeser, a steal at 23rd overall, so maybe it's not a bad ideal at all to make the playoffs and make solid picks latter in the round. :thumbs: :-D Right HW?

Besides that, team has made much more shrewd picks at all rounds, much more so than the past 40+ years.

If JB can keep making solid picks overall, this franchise might have a longer and better future that's more stable to contend...just like those American pro sports teams who analyze and draft well.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.