The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by ESQ »

I gotta say, Marleau is the first truly awful signing of "Free Agent Frenzy".

In the last year of that deal, Leaves will be trying to re-sign Matthews, Marner and Gardiner :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I had to look up if Marleau had retired lol...hey I guess you guys wanted an Eriksson of your own! Talk about perimeter player...they probably thought signing him would lure Thorton...and then it didn't but you guys are stuck in the friendzone anyway
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Well Doc, seems some over there in leavesville seem to think that they can now trade JVR for top four on D and Bozak should bring some nice picks and or top prospects.
I know, they're hilarious! :lol:

What this tells us is that the Marleau signing signals that JVR and Bozak will not be extended.

(even Leafers now realize this!)
Hockey Widow wrote: And re Marleau, his contract is mostly bonus money paid out July 1 so they can pay his bonus year three and trade his ass after July 1 that year to Vegas for a cap dump. Of course that's if he waives his NMC which of course he'll do because he'll have earned most of his contract by then and will just retire. Which of course is all possible since Vegas or a team like that would love the dead cap hit.

But no cap circumvention here right?
What this tells us is that the Marleau signing is a bad one even in Leafer eyes.

(they must invent magical ways to see it as a good contract because they can't accept the truth)

The League would definitely nail Lou (yet again) for cap circumvention if he attempted such a thing.

And of course a proud man such as Marleau would never go along with such a thing...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: *Looks at Stats* Hainsey has never been a 3rd pairing player.
Hainsey is most definitely a 3rd pairing player moving forward.

Go read what Canes/Pens fans have been saying about his play deteriorating all year.

(no surprise both the Canes and the Pens dumped him last year)

There have only been TWO 36+ defensemen in the modern era that could still handle top-4 icetime:

Chara and Markov (these two were once 25-28 minute dmen though, Hainsey a 22 min max dman)

Obviously those 2 are slowing down big time and their mins have been pared back due to old age.

Those two have pared back by 2-5 mins-per-gm and Hainsey should be a 18 min guy moving forward.

(should also mention those two are physical freaks of nature... Hansey NOT)

Note Markov is still an unrestricted free agent, Montreal knows the dangers of signing the oldtimer.

36-yr-old Beauchemin was playing similar minutes to Hainsey last season and HE JUST GOT BOUGHT OUT.

Yet the Leaves give 36-yr-old Hainsey A RAISE!! :lol:

You must know 95% of Leaf fans consider this a bad signing (unless you don't read Leaves boards).

Most Leafers assumed the original Lebrun report meant $3M total over 2 years

... they were stunned and outraged to find it was $3M per.
BigTuna wrote: And you're trying to tout the greatness of Matt Hunwick?
I said the Stanley Cup Champs considered Hunwick a better 3rd pairing dman than Hainsey moving forward.

(but yes I agree with them)
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote: *Looks at Stats* Hainsey has never been a 3rd pairing player.
Hainsey is most definitely a 3rd pairing player moving forward.

Go read what Canes/Pens fans have been saying about his play deteriorating all year.

(no surprise both the Canes and the Pens dumped him last year)

There have only been TWO 36+ defensemen in the modern era that could still handle top-4 icetime:

Chara and Markov (these two were once 25-28 minute dmen though, Hainsey a 22 min max dman)

Obviously those 2 are slowing down big time and their mins have been pared back due to old age.

Those two have pared back by 2-5 mins-per-gm and Hainsey should be a 18 min guy moving forward.

(should also mention those two are physical freaks of nature... Hansey NOT)

Note Markov is still an unrestricted free agent, Montreal knows the dangers of signing the oldtimer.

36-yr-old Beauchemin was playing similar minutes to Hainsey last season and HE JUST GOT BOUGHT OUT.

Yet the Leaves give 36-yr-old Hainsey A RAISE!! :lol:

You must know 95% of Leaf fans consider this a bad signing (unless you don't read Leaves boards).

Most Leafers assumed the original Lebrun report meant $3M total over 2 years

... they were stunned and outraged to find it was $3M per.
BigTuna wrote: And you're trying to tout the greatness of Matt Hunwick?
I said the Stanley Cup Champs considered Hunwick a better 3rd pairing dman than Hainsey moving forward.

(but yes I agree with them)

Oh do tell Miss Cleo. How many minutes will Hainsey play in 2017-18?

36 year-old Beauchemin was terrible in playing for the WORST team by far in the entire NHL. How bad were they? The leaves were 30th the previous year and had 21 more points than them. Yes, 21!

36 year-old Hainsey was very solid and was second in TOI on the team that won the Stanley cup. You are comparing a guy on the 30th team with the cup champs. All guys are not equal because they are the same age, you are aware, right?

And Maybe 40 year-old Markov is still UFA because he asked for a reported INSANE 12 million over 2 years from the Habs. If he asked for a sensible deal he could have been signed by now.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/27/rep ... -montreal/

I don't think you could have come up with a worse example if you tried.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: I don't think you could have come up with a worse example if you tried.
I compared him to the only three 36+ defensemen to ever manage top-4 minutes in the modern era.

No other defenseman has managed it, and all 3 of these guys are shells of their former selves.

If the Leaves hand Hainsey top 4 minutes moving forward he will most definitely fall apart.

The odds of him earning even half of that $3M-per are remote to say the least.

You must be freebasing that koolaid, the only Leafers supporting this signing are teenyboppers

... and you. :eh:

Although your silence on the Marleau signing and the age of your team is deafening.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Sportsnet article states that the signing of Marleau in Toronto is an announcement that the leaves are finished rebuilding.

I guess they don't care whether or not they actually rebuild their blueline at all.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hainsey to leaves
Glad to see the Leaves settle for the 36-year old!

He's a LHS who can play the right-side.

$3M-per for two years to the old man. :thumbs:

35+ contracts can come back to bite you.

They didn't get either of the 2 young RHD dee they wanted in Hamonic and Stone

... Flames got them both! :D

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Flames.

But I hate the Leaves much much much more.

I suppose the Leaves could still trade for a RS guy

... but that would create cap trouble for them now.

The other two UFAs the Leaves signed are also old men.

(McElhinney and Dominic Moore)

Gonna make it tough for Tuna to brag about how young his team is. :mrgreen:
How do u hate the leaves more than the Flames Help me understand cause that makes zero sense...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

olpaddy wrote: How do u hate the leaves more than the Flames Help me understand cause that makes zero sense...
Haven't you heard, the Leaves have always been one the most hated teams in the wide world of sports!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:Sportsnet article states that the signing of Marleau in Toronto is an announcement that the leaves are finished rebuilding.

I guess they don't care whether or not they actually rebuild their blueline at all.
They tried to patch that blueline but Lou was outmaneuvered and too cheep (Hamonic, Stone, etc).

So instead they blew their wad on over-the-hillers Marleau/Hainsey/etc.

(UFAs charge more for teams that don't allow any facial hair) :)

I could see them adding get-wot-you-pay-for cheepies in Polak/Franson.

But right now they need to re-sign Connor Brown, and they don't have the cap-room for that!

(yes, even with the 10% extra off-season cap-space)

(all players on one-way contracts count toward dat dere, so they're within ~$1.5M)

Leaves are very obviously about to trade JVR for pick(s).

Or they will dump LTIR Lupul at a cost to the Leaves.

Or both.

But regardless, yes I can't see them fixing that gaping hole in their dee.

And the FOUR old men they signed this off-season are only going to drag them down moving forward...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
olpaddy wrote: How do u hate the leaves more than the Flames Help me understand cause that makes zero sense...
Haven't you heard, the Leaves have always been one the most hated teams in the wide world of sports!
Oh ya...still to this day one of my favorite memories
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Mëds"]Sportsnet article states that the signing of Marleau in Toronto is an announcement that the leaves are finished rebuilding.

I guess they don't care whether or not they actually rebuild their blueline at all.[/quote]

They just drafted a great young D in the first round. What exactly do they rebuild? Gardimner/Reilly Zaitsev are young and going nowhere.

Their D is underrated. better than the D of the cup champs (They added the D with the 2nd TOI in the playoffs to play a lesser role on that team).
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote: I don't think you could have come up with a worse example if you tried.
I compared him to the only three 36+ defensemen to ever manage top-4 minutes in the modern era.

No other defenseman has managed it, and all 3 of these guys are shells of their former selves.

If the Leaves hand Hainsey top 4 minutes moving forward he will most definitely fall apart.

The odds of him earning even half of that $3M-per are remote to say the least.

You must be freebasing that koolaid, the only Leafers supporting this signing are teenyboppers

... and you. :eh:

Although your silence on the Marleau signing and the age of your team is deafening.
Why would I respond to someone who believes the leaves are an old team? That person doesn't know what they are talking about. 2/3rds of the NHL are still older BTW.

Mattews is 19, Marner is 20, Nylander just turned 21. Connor Brown is 23, Hyman 24, Rielly 23, Gardiner 26, Kadri 26, Andersen 28. What the hell are you smoking? Adding older vets in Marleau, Moore and Hainey (And these are supporting pieces who won't be around very long hardly makes them old.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote:Sportsnet article states that the signing of Marleau in Toronto is an announcement that the leaves are finished rebuilding.

They tried to patch that blueline but Lou was outmaneuvered and too cheep (Hamonic, Stone, etc).

So instead they blew their wad on over-the-hillers Marleau/Hainsey/etc.

(UFAs charge more for teams that don't allow any facial hair) :)

I could see them adding get-wot-you-pay-for cheepies in Polak/Franson.

But right now they need to re-sign Connor Brown, and they don't have the cap-room for that!

(yes, even with the 10% extra off-season cap-space)

(all players on one-way contracts count toward dat dere, so they're within ~$1.5M)

Leaves are very obviously about to trade JVR for pick(s).

Or they will dump LTIR Lupul at a cost to the Leaves.

Or both.

But regardless, yes I can't see them fixing that gaping hole in their dee.

And the FOUR old men they signed this off-season are only going to drag them down moving forward...
I would love to see your reaction if they did give up next year's first rounder for Hamonic. You wouldn't have liked that deal.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Why would I respond to someone who believes the leaves are an old team? That person doesn't know what they are talking about. 2/3rds of the NHL are still older BTW.

Mattews is 19, Marner is 20, Nylander just turned 21. Connor Brown is 23, Hyman 24, Rielly 23, Gardiner 26, Kadri 26, Andersen 28. What the hell are you smoking? Adding older vets in Marleau, Moore and Hainey (And these are supporting pieces who won't be around very long hardly makes them old.
http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

(click on Avg Age)

As I pointed out a few days ago in this thread, Leaves are the 20th oldest team in the NHL.

And getting older every year, no more "rookies" or "prospects" for you to brag about...
____
Try to focus on someday.