2017 Canucks UFA signings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2017 Canucks UFA signings

Post by Cornuck »

Short terms we can handle - any more coming in?

Forward Sam Gagner, after a 50-point season in Columbus, signed for three years and a cap hit of $3.15 million.
Stats link

Forward Alexander Burmistrov, after splitting last season between Winnipeg and Arizona, signed for one year and $900,000.
Stats Link

Defenseman Michael Del Zotto, after three years in Philadelphia, signed for two years and a cap hit of $3 million.
Stats Link

Finally, goalie Anders Nilsson, after registering a .923 save percentage last season in Buffalo, signed for two years and a cap hit of $2.5 million.
Stats Link

#Canucks sign Defenseman Patrick Wiercioch to a one-year contract.
Stats Link
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2017 Canucks UFA signings

Post by BladesofSteel »

Patrick Wiercioch signs one year $650,000
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Weren't they all on waivers at some point over the past year?
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Del Zotto

Wanted Cnd team

Grew up cheering for Canucks as one of his fav teams

Loves the opportunity to mentor young D

Gagne hinting he will play with twins, or at least given a chance to earn that spot. Very strongly suggesting he will be in the top 6.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hard to argue with any of these. Placeholders on a tanking team picked up in UFA.

No assets squandered and not going to have to force the kids. Going to be a real easy team to play against, though.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Hard to argue with any of these. Placeholders on a tanking team picked up in UFA.

No assets squandered and not going to have to force the kids. Going to be a real easy team to play against, though.
These all make more sense for a rebuilding team than Erikkson's signing last year.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Hard to argue with any of these. Placeholders on a tanking team picked up in UFA.

These all make more sense for a rebuilding team than Erikkson's signing last year.
Yep, and none of the deals should be hard to move, if these guys prove they can still produce.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning:

Wanted to add speed skill and experience.

Wanted to create depth

Forces young kids, named Virtanen, to earn a role

Wanted to improve PP

With prospect pool had to create competition

Selected character guys in same age range, 27ish

Selected versality

Increased point production+80 over last year

Green now has options and versatilty

Miller, all about family and location. Couldnt compete with those variables

Nilsson, cloutier recomendation. Can still grow and develop. Cloutier wanted a chance to work with him. Net competition up to green

Green had a lot of say re needs and identify players.

Strategy was to keep cap and term limited. No big FA on team radar.

If players produce they have 2-3 year windows to earn new deals.

Plan wasnt to sign and flip at TDD. Doesnt rule it out though if it comes to it but not the plan. In other words not a rebuild strategy.

Then TSN cuts out press conference. Idiots
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

From the Province:

The acquisitions will have an impact on the youth movement. There’s no room for Olli Juolevi and probably only one spot for Brock Boeser and Nikolay Goldobin to fight over in training camp.

That was by design, by the way. The moves today are about buying time for the youngest prospects, an effort to insulate them and avoid a scenario where they’re not rushed and overwhelmed before they’ve matured.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm going to assume / hope that there are not NMCs involved in these deals, so if and when the kids are ready, the placeholders can be easily moved.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There is a lot of room. We had, what should have been, a good portion of Utica on the team or in the press box.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:I'm going to assume / hope that there are not NMCs involved in these deals, so if and when the kids are ready, the placeholders can be easily moved.
While I don't know the answer er trade protection Benning said they didn't sign any of these players with a mind to flip them at the TDD. He said they all had a chance to play for new contracts when their term was up. If they deliver they will get rewarded, if not, the hope is the kids will be ready to step in. He did say that even though the intention was not to sign and flip them that option was not ruled out depending on where the team is in the standings and the individual players play.

So a traditional re build path.

Miller replaced cap wise by Gagne, Nilsson, Burmistrov

Sbisa's cap replaced by Del Zotto and that other guy.

Five guys for the price of two!

While these moves by no stretch make us a contender, they do exactly what Benning says they were intended to do. By the way, he said if a young guy comes to camp and earns a job the team will make room. He was speaking of Virtanen and Juolevi when he made that statement. Past history shows he will do just that. So no one needs to worry about lack of development. If a kid is ready, he stays. If not Jim bought them time to develop.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

At first glance, Benning seem s to have had a good day.

I wouldn't have minded a bit more size, but he has done a good job to insulate the youngsters to avoind a McCann/Virtanen repeat.

IMO, it don't matter where we finish in the standings next year as we won't draft before 5 anyways, so we might as well try and end up in that 16-20 range :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm seeing nothing but pure Genius today.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm seeing nothing but pure Genius today.
Give it a rest for a week or 2 please.

Good pickups by GM.