The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Devils have taken 2 centres in the first round of the last drafts, McLeod in 2016 and Zacha in 2015. They also have two other decent centre prospects in Blake Speers and John Quenville. They currently have Henrique and Zajac at centre. Do they really want to grab another centre in Patrick or Hischier? Especially since they are both not considered generational? The Flyers are definitely taking one of Patrick or Hischier, they have a pretty damn fine young defence core - Ghostisbierre(sp), Provorov, Philip Myers, Sanheim, Morin etc.,.

New Jersey said to be very interested in drafting Makar. If that's the case the top 5 will get very interesting.

Dallas is a wild card, but I expect them to take a forward. Colorado will be prove to be the morons they are if they take a forward instead of a much needed defenseman. The last two drafts they have drafted forwards - Jost and Rantanen. They already boast - Duschene, McKinnon and Landeskog. THEY NEED DEFENCE, but nothing surprises me with this idiotic franchise.

The Devils could shock all and take Makar. If Makar and Heiskenen go in the top 4 the Canucks have an embarrassment of riches to choose from - Vilardi or Glass?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

So RD just curious, do you think it's possible that Benning opts for Petterson even if Vilardi and Glass are available? And if he does, is he still a genious?
cc oldtimer
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Aaronp18 wrote:I'm with everyone that says we don't want smallish players. However, some of these kids are just that, kids! There are kids in the draft nearly a year apart in age, that year at 17-18 can make a massive difference.

This is where the research and interviews come in, what players are close to maturity and who is going to be able to put on 20-30 lbs of muscle?

It's great to grab an 18 year old who has a close to NHL physique but those are pretty few and far between. Instead look for the players who are dedicated, willing to put in the effort to gain muscle and work their ass off on their game.

We aren't going to get an NHL ready prospect unless we move up, so look for someone who is still filling out and will be ready in a year or more!
The Brendan Gallaghers and even (I puke at mentioning him) Marchands of the league have proven that size only factors so much if you have the moxy and the skill to play with the big boys. That's why kids like Shaw or even Lodnia are intriguing because they have that feistiness to their games.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:I'm with everyone that says we don't want smallish players. However, some of these kids are just that, kids! There are kids in the draft nearly a year apart in age, that year at 17-18 can make a massive difference.

This is where the research and interviews come in, what players are close to maturity and who is going to be able to put on 20-30 lbs of muscle?

It's great to grab an 18 year old who has a close to NHL physique but those are pretty few and far between. Instead look for the players who are dedicated, willing to put in the effort to gain muscle and work their ass off on their game.

We aren't going to get an NHL ready prospect unless we move up, so look for someone who is still filling out and will be ready in a year or more!
The Brendan Gallaghers and even (I puke at mentioning him) Marchands of the league have proven that size only factors so much if you have the moxy and the skill to play with the big boys. That's why kids like Shaw or even Lodnia are intriguing because they have that feistiness to their games.
Those types are extremely rare in the NHL, hence why I'd only pick Shaw in the 4th round, the odds are stacked against them.

'someone who is still filling out and will be ready in a year or more!' is hard to predict who has the dedication and the family genes to prove that they can fill out, and not be like the Brandon Sutter's of the world 6'3 and top out at 190, bones with a bit of muscle.

Anyways yeah the one guy I'd trade up for in the 1st round is Poehling, probably can deal a 2nd+3rd for a 20-27 pick.
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017/NHL-Draf ... n-Poehling

His combine he looked pretty built already, and had a good Hlinka tourny.
The 6-2, 183-pound forward brings speed and smarts and seems to make things happen at the right time.
Benning's scouts have to persuade JB to move up to get him.

Unless there is a way to get AZ's #7 and #23.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

nuckster wrote: And if he does, is he still a genious?
Do you mean - genius?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chef Boi RD's Best Player Available List

1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Makar
4. Heiskanen
5. Vilardi
6. Glass
7. Pettersen
8. Necas
9. Rasmussen
10. Tippett
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:Chef Boi RD's Best Player Availabke List

1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Makar
4. Heiskanen
5. Vilardi
6. Glass
7. Pettersen
8. Necas
9. Rasmussen
10. Tippett
Wheres Medal-stadt?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Chef Boi RD's Best Player Availabke List

1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Makar
4. Heiskanen
5. Vilardi
6. Glass
7. Pettersen
8. Necas
9. Rasmussen
10. Tippett
Wheres Medal-stadt?
I hear he is starring in the next Lego Movie. With his yellow lego hair no audition was required. A natural
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

1. Necas
2. Heiskanen
3. Hischier
4. BUST
5. BUST
6. Realization this is the worst draft ever.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cherry Picker wrote:1. Necas
2. Heiskanen
3. Hischier
4. BUST
5. BUST
6. Realization this is the worst draft ever.
1996 says hi.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

These kids are taking such a beat-down in hockey cities saying how this is a terrible draft class,
they'll either prove otherwise and it'll go down in record books as "Class of 2017), a stupendous draft, or,
every damn one of them will have (I can't do it), complexes, quit hockey at the age of 22-- :(

It must be working on their brains by now.
Oh ya, I forgot. Hockey players have never been known as having much for brains... :devil:
"evolution"
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

All draft classes really take a few years to show their true colours. Some classes have a one or two that make a splash right away but most players take time to develop. That is why I don't understand why so many people get so excited about giving away proven players for a commodity that you really won't reap the benefits of for years if at all. I do think this draft class may start slow but will catch up in quality in time.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Chef Boi RD's Best Player Available List

1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Makar
4. Heiskanen
5. Vilardi
6. Glass
7. Pettersen
8. Necas
9. Rasmussen
10. Tippett
I think you will be right in the top 5, Heiskanen and Makar the top dmen in the draft going #3 and #4.

Bob McKenzie is usually on point in the 1st round with his final rankings of the draft here's his top 10.

1) Hischier
2) Patrick
3) Heiskanen
4) Makar
5) Vilardi
6) Mittelstadt
7) Pettersson
8) Glass
9) Rasumussen
10) Tippett

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft-rank ... s-1.778987

IF that draft selection happens then we don't need to move up and we don't have to trade any dmen for a young center.

Team would just need a stop gap playmaker for the next couple of years like Kerfoot who seems more and more likely to reach UFA.

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2017/06/ ... r-kerfoot/
New Jersey Devils fans were hopeful Harvard star Alexander Kerfoot would sign before he becomes a free agent in August. That’s become an unlikely fantasy.

It’s been a few weeks since Andrew Gross of The Record spoke with New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero. Out of that interview, we learned Harvard star Alexander Kerfoot will likely take his talents to free agency.

The fifth round pick in 2012, who played four seasons at Harvard, can become an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15 and Shero didn’t shy away from hinting that’s the path he believes Kerfoot will take.

Since that interview, there has been exactly zero news coming out of the Kerfoot camp.

That could be the reason Shero is so happy to just let Kerfoot become a free agent. For one, he plays center. The Devils currently have Pavel Zacha, Michael McLeod and John Quenneville who aren’t old enough to drink. They also have Travis Zajac and Adam Henrique, both have multiple years left on their contracts. Then, there’s the whole Nolan or Nico thing that will be resolved in a few weeks.

The loss of Kerfoot won’t hurt terribly. He’s a very skilled player, but at a position the Devils will have a ton of potential for the future. It’s okay if he signs elsewhere.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:Chef Boi RD's Best Player Available List

1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Makar
4. Heiskanen
5. Vilardi
6. Glass
Boy, I'd luv to see JB get that 3rd pick from Dallas. I wouldn't mind offering Tanev+ for it (throw in Bearcheese?). If JB can come out of the draft with a D-man and a centre, he'll be laughing. I think my top 2 choices are Makar and Glass.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Team would just need a stop gap playmaker for the next couple of years like Kerfoot who seems more and more likely to reach UFA.
I think you've cracked the code! That explains why JB has been saying he's looking at a dman at #5.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Boy, I'd luv to see JB get that 3rd pick from Dallas. I wouldn't mind offering Tanev+ for it (throw in Bearcheese?).
Dayum, that is an aggressive proposal! I dig it. I don't think Tanev+ a 2nd would get it done.