Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:So. The hillbilly/INbred translation of ^^^Hatfield and McCcoy's^^^ opinion(s) regarding the Gudbranson signing? A good signing? Lack of hillbilly hissy fitting on their part must mean they like it.
The dollar value is fine, it's not like the Canucks could offer him less.

But it's also a great move for Gudbranson, who can now cash in as a UFA next summer at 26.

If he has a good start to the year, it'll cost north of 5 to lock him up. If he has a bad start, we won't want to and his trade value plummets as a rental.

The one year deal is definitely better than signing him long-term for big money, but losing him for nothing makes that trade significantly worse than it already appears to be. Not a great situation for the Canucks to be in, with a player who hasn't lived up to his trade value yet and may walk for nothing after 100ish games.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:
Well surprise to us all Guds accepts a one year 3.5m contract!
Nice to see him back aboard, we really need him with the loss of Tryamkin. Hopefully he can be healthy for most of the season.
Island Nucklehead wrote: But it's also a great move for Gudbranson, who can now cash in as a UFA next summer at 26.
Weird, I thought he would be UFA as well, but NHLnumbers lists him as a RFA next season. Maybe a mistake?

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2018
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Weird, I thought he would be UFA as well, but NHLnumbers lists him as a RFA next season. Maybe a mistake?

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2018
Yes nhlnumbers is wrong.

You can become a UFA if your contract expires after your 7th NHL season.

This one-year contract should motivate Guds, a small fortune is riding on his performance next season.

Then, after a better performance (hopefully) the genius negotiates a fair contract or trades him at the deadline.

Benning said a while back that he was going to sign Guds to a one-year show-me contract...
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I think this is a reasonable contract given his disappointing play over the last season. Better to ensure he comes as advertised and last year was an aberation than to sign to big money and find out he was nothing more than a flash in the pan. Would have been nice to sign him long term at super low value but everyone knew that wasn't going to happen. So given the circumstances, I like the signing.

JB is slowly moving up in my books. Interested to see what happens in the next 10 to 20.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:But it's also a great move for Gudbranson, who can now cash in as a UFA next summer at 26.

If he has a good start to the year, it'll cost north of 5 to lock him up. If he has a bad start, we won't want to and his trade value plummets as a rental.
It was an early signing in the offseason, so it doesn't seem like some kind of hardcore negotiation tactics are going on by either side, thus he won't reach UFA.

Plus it seems fairly obvious that Gudbranson is what he is - a big tough guy who can play defense that won't get much points at all. Taking into account analytics CF% corsi, his next contract should not go above 5m per...and ya know what, our defense doesn't have anyone like Guds, an assertive leader type that can scrap it out with anyone, so he does bring a good tough dynamic to the D-corps that is sorely lacking.

Not to mention Hutton was giving him some props this past season as opposing teams were going after him (Hutton), but Guds stepped in like a Zdeno Chara and chilled out the opposing teams aggressive dudes...team could a few more soldiers like Guds out there.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks have already said they would like to open the door to negotiating with him in January. They figure, if healthy, both sides should have a good understanding of his value.

For Gudbranson's part, he has said he wants to make Vancouver his home and would love to sign a long term deal here.

All early signs point to a deal sometime in the new year.
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

And he's a guy that can be re-signed for the max 8 years, and still only be 33 in the final year, i.e. still within his prime.

That 8th year will likely give the Canucks an edge on re-signing him, should his play warrant it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:And he's a guy that can be re-signed for the max 8 years, and still only be 33 in the final year, i.e. still within his prime.

That 8th year will likely give the Canucks an edge on re-signing him, should his play warrant it.

With a modified NTC please!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:And he's a guy that can be re-signed for the max 8 years, and still only be 33 in the final year, i.e. still within his prime.

Or none at all. Lol.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Or none at all. Lol.
He will ask for and receive some type of trade protection. Modified NTC are pretty well the norm for above average players, no longer for superstars or franchise type players, who get the NMC.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

FriedgeHNIC: "BTW, VAN settles with Michael Chaput at $687.5K"

Button thinks the Canucks should sign Horvat 8 years and be done with it. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Craig Button: Canucks should give Horvat an 8 year contract;

Boeser a star and should be in NHL next year

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-1268?smc=10
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I can't see either side balking at an 8 year term. What's unknown is the distance between the AAV.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat bridge contracts comparable's.

2015 Zibanejad 20g, 46 points - 2 years, $2.625M aav.

2015 Galchenyuk 20g, 46 points - 2 years, $2.8M aav.

So...

2017 Horvat 20g, 52 points - 2 years, $2.9M or $3M aav?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:Horvat bridge contracts comparable's.

2015 Zibanejad 20g, 46 points - 2 years, $2.625M aav.

2015 Galchenyuk 20g, 46 points - 2 years, $2.8M aav.

So...

2017 Horvat 20g, 52 points - 2 years, $2.9M or $3M aav?
Um,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUdhaDCvPWY
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Seriously though:
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... m-per-year

Comparatives are very hard in Bo's case because so much more will soon be falling on his shoulder's, well, hopefully.
But then again, WE DON'T KNOW if this is the Sedins last year!!!!

So many intangibles. That's why I still have the "sort of" fear that it might be just a one-year deal for now.
That would give arbitration rights next year.

Or maybe he signs on August 21st at 10:21 am.
"evolution"