The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ya gotta wonder why these kids haven't been training for the comby. If i knew i would be doing pull ups in front of the entire hockey world i sure as shit wouldve spent the previous couple months training to do at least a dozen...Mittlestadt looks like hes already 50 years old and ready for the special at swiss chalet
If you need air...call it in
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

In looking over the tops at the combine list, I saw Joshua Norris and Kailer Yamamoto's name come up a lot. It appears that Makar had a good combine as well. I like the idea of getting Vilardi if he is available. However, if Canucks don't get the 3rd OA pick from Dallas and Vilardi is gone, is it worth taking Makar at 5 and hoping that Norris is still available at 33? Norris is a 6'1", 192 lb center. I don't know much about him but a couple of rankings had him going in the second; however, I expect his stock has gone up from the combine.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Generally-speaking, I only put so much stock in the draft combine. IMO, they give indicators of the physical NHL readiness of the prospects. Do they have NHL size, strength and fitness already? Not sure how predictive the results are in the mid-term or even long-term as some of these kids are still growing and may make significant strides in 3 years when they should be getting onto an NHL squad.

That said...

The fact that you couldn't find Mittelstadt's name in any but two of the draft combine's top-20 results, despite having 201 lbs to his 6'1" frame makes you scratch your head. No doubt he can make up some ground in the fitness department in college (which makes his NCAA route a bit of a blessing for him and whoever chooses him). Yeah, I know Sam Bennett couldn't do a chin-up either and look how he's made out so far. Even so, it does raise a question mark.

Contrast that with Petterson, who was able to put in some good results in the anaerobic drills and other tests, and you wonder if he can't make gains on what he already has physically? If Mittelstadt can gain muscle and fitness, why can't Petterson make the same gains and give the club a stronger, fitter player? Especially when in some physical respects his 160 lb frame is stronger than Mittelstadt's 201 lb frame? Genetics, perhaps? Wouldn't it be something if the league required prospects to give up DNA samples to provide clubs the opportunity to do predictive analysis down the road? Cue the human rights fight...

One player who did pop out at me from the combine results who figures to be available at #33 or even #55 (though not likely) is Jonah Gajdovich. Scored really well in a lot of tests. Scouting reports have him as a power forward with concerns about his skating speed but that's the only knock on him. Worth a shot even if he doesn't top out as more than a 3rd-line grinder. Mason Shaw apparently did well in the anaerobic tests and bench press as well. Worth it at #33? Some interesting finds in the combine results if you look past the obvious top-tier first rounders.

Then again, it was one day so a small sample size. Something to keep us interested until the draft if nothing else. ;)
Last edited by Lancer on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

The Apple of Jim Benning's eye... Mr NO REGRETS who rather play with his childhood buddies than a tougher level of competition and calls himself PUDGY...
Last edited by olpaddy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

The level of competition tho... YIKES :( but our GM knows these kids inside and out...
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

to put Middlestadts struggle in perspective a visual of Nolan Patricks Bench & Pull ups the Bench I wanna say 45 pound bar 2- 45lbs plates and 2-10lbs plates we are talking 155lbs on the bench and Casey Middlestdt 200 lbs kid couldn't get it up more than once at 200lbs... I know it doesn't translate to on ice performance but wow....
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:Mittelstadt isn't totally out of shape, lacking upper power.

Special Olympics?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

olpaddy wrote:to put Middlestadts struggle in perspective a visual of Nolan Patricks Bench & Pull ups the Bench I wanna say 45 pound bar 2- 45lbs plates and 2-10lbs plates we are talking 155lbs on the bench and Casey Middlestdt 200 lbs kid couldn't get it up more than once at 200lbs... I know it doesn't translate to on ice performance but wow....
This picture is very telling. Look at the fat from the elbows up. Now look at the tiny forearms.
I guess you give him a break getting over an injury but those lower arms and wrists look weak.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Yeah I'm starting to be sold on the idea of Pettersen. Him and Dahlen were lighting it up together all season as linemates. He doesn't look so rail thin there.

Give it up SKYO, Dallas ain't trading the pick
Instead of #3 the other targets are #8, #9 and/or #11.
Sabres, Wings and Kings.

Buffalo and Detroit want to improve defense and the kings want to dump contracts.

AZ at #7 also wouldn't mind moving up.
Lancer wrote: Contrast that with Petterson, who was able to put in some good results in the anaerobic drills and other tests, and you wonder if he can't make gains on what he already has physically? If Mittelstadt can gain muscle and fitness, why can't Petterson make the same gains and give the club a stronger, fitter player? Genetics, perhaps?
I think we could snag Pettersson at #5 to be safe and try to get another top 10 pick with Tanev so we can get another dman.

Elias would solidify somewhat our future center situation to build around, and drafting pettersson would shut the analytic nerds up as they like him, a lot of fans of other teams in the top 15 hope he drops.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Yeah I'm starting to be sold on the idea of Pettersen.
Okay, Pettersen it is! :rockin:
____
Try to focus on someday.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Strangelove wrote:
Look at us agreeing Doc this is oddly strange...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

olpaddy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Look at us agreeing Doc this is oddly strange...
Then it must be destiny! :rockin:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

You guys are nuts.
That guys is way too Barry Pederson homophonic
the worst trade in Canuck's history
Avoid Pettersen like the plague!
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:Mittelstadt isn't totally out of shape, lacking upper power.

Special Olympics?
:lol: At least he gets a medal
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

After the top 2 picks It's so disarray nobody really knows who for sure is going.

#3 - #4 has a mix of opinions Mittelstadt, Heiskanen, Makar and Vilardi, it's no secret Avs and Arizona want dmen, same with Dallas wanting dmen, but who knows. Nashville is providing an incentive to shore up your D.

IF AZ really wants a shot at Makar they should swap picks with the Canucks.

So the easiest thing for the canucks to do is wait and see if GV is avail at #5 if not, team trades and can drop down #7 and swap #5 + #33 for #7 + #23.

At #7 we can still select a decent center and a decent dman at #23 (20's Benning special)

#7 take pettersson or necas.
#23 take hague or brannstrom or poehling
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.