The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Cornuck »

I just KNOW I left a 'trade' thread around here somewhere... has anyone seen it? :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Skyo and trade fantasies need constant herding to the pen
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Benning would probably win a lot of fans if he can trade for Drouin.
We could certainly use him. Like the Gudbranson deal, it's the price he's willing t pay that's worrisome.
Nothing unusual about the price paid for Gudbranson when you factor in what other young D-men drafted in the first round cost like - Reinhart, Larsson, Hamilton, Jones, Zadarov, Shattenkirk etc
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Benning would probably win a lot of fans if he can trade for Drouin.
We could certainly use him. Like the Gudbranson deal, it's the price he's willing t pay that's worrisome.
Exactly, it's why I wish they'd hire Lombardi who has some solid GM trade experience, let Benning be the scout GM, who looks for young talent to trade for, while Lombardi can assist in the more veteran player trade negotiations.

Seems JB and Linden listen to their coach too much in trades, Willie vouched for a lot of his players and those were bad ideals.

JB and Linden need an experienced GM guy to bring in to help facilitate trades. (senior advisor/assistant GM) whatever you want to call it. ...also I think TL was trying to bring in Pat Quinn (rip) for assistance.

If they can't or don't want to bring in an experienced GM as an assistant/advisor for trades, then I hope Benning sticks to trading vets for prospects and picks as he's done well in this regard.
Lombardi has made some bad trades. The Kings are at the beginning of a slide due to some of Lombardis recent roster decisions. He was universally lambasted for the Bishop acquisition, a completely weird trade he made their. Made zero sense
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lombardi's best trades were prior to the teams Stanley Cups.

A young Johnson for Gleason swap.
Williams for O'sully+2nd.
then swapping Johnson+pick for a younger Jeff Carter.
bold move of schenn, Simmonds, pick for Richards back when he was Selke like.

His errors were long term contracts trying to be like the blackhawks with hossa etc.
Then like Gillis not prepping for long term success.

In any case I hope Benning keeps on with moving vets for blue chippers and picks.
Lombardi would be nice to have for the (keeping in the topic) rebuild if JB plans on targeting a younger but further developed center that can make plays.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: His errors were long term contracts trying to be like the blackhawks with hossa etc.
Then like Gillis not prepping for long term success.
Yeah, it's not fucking rocket science.

Like Gillis, his long term contracts were signed to keep short-term costs down.
Like Gillis, his teams were deep and successful because of this.
Unlike Gillis, he's got two cup rings.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

^^^Somebody likes Mike^^^
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:^^^Somebody likes Mike^^^
Dude your raging hate for gmmg is illogical.

He steered the team to the finals in yr 3 of his tenure and yes as with every other gm around pro sports, can attribute some of the success to his predecessor.
The team was the class of the league for most of his run and just like every single other gm that has run an NHL team his time was done and he needed to be moved along.

Time to move on...its not your fault.

If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

We should start planning on contending in 2019-2020 when Bo Horvat is 24 he'll be ripping it up for a solid 4 years after that 28/29 seems to be when the average dude starts to lose it in pro sports, unless you're a generational HHOF - It's why Tampa and Dallas should be loading up from here on out, as Stamkos/Hedman are gonna be 27, while Seguin is 25 & Benn is gonna be 28 in July.

So we got two years to load up in the draft and prospects to hopefully start blooming in 2019, 2020, just when Demko, Juolevi, Boeser, Stecher, Gaudette, Dahlen, Goldy, heck even Virtanen, (2017 picks), the inevitable Tryamkin return, the junior+college UFA's all hopefully should be developing into regular NHLer's together.

And with JB here he should keep our prospect cupboards full while churning out new NHLers every year.

So it's a good year to acquire more high draft picks this year, so we can better the odds of contending & to help Horvat in a few years when all our prospects should be fully developed.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:Tanev + Baertschi for Drouin straight up even better HW. :thumbs: 8-)
Tanev and a 3rd for Drouin and Garrison. Tampa needs cap room, and Garrison is addition by subtraction.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Tciso wrote:
It's a fine line though. The GM has to break a few NMC, but still keep Vancouver as a destination for future UFA players, and ensure that future NMC/NTC clauses do discount the salary. If the GM is seen as an a$$hole, that does not happen. OTOH, if he is seen as a schmoo/shmoe/schmuck, then he is behind the 8 ball on all negotiations.
I think its important to accept that Vancouver will never be a desirable UFA destination.

We'll never be the Rangers, or any of the other "metropolitan" teams where travel is basically non-existent. Many hockey players don't like non-stop media attention and high pressure, and you couple that with high taxes and expensive real estate.

The only UFAs that will sign here will be players who already are determined to come - i.e. Demitra, Hamhuis, Eriksson, Miller, etc. In those cases, the Canucks were only negotiating against themselves.

If you want to see what it will take for a true top UFA to come to Vancouver over other options, look no further than Mats Sundin. And I have to give MG credit for recruiting UFAs, as I think he was the best Canuck GM at it.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:
Tciso wrote:
It's a fine line though. The GM has to break a few NMC, but still keep Vancouver as a destination for future UFA players, and ensure that future NMC/NTC clauses do discount the salary. If the GM is seen as an a$$hole, that does not happen. OTOH, if he is seen as a schmoo/shmoe/schmuck, then he is behind the 8 ball on all negotiations.
I think its important to accept that Vancouver will never be a desirable UFA destination.

We'll never be the Rangers, or any of the other "metropolitan" teams where travel is basically non-existent. Many hockey players don't like non-stop media attention and high pressure, and you couple that with high taxes and expensive real estate.

The only UFAs that will sign here will be players who already are determined to come - i.e. Demitra, Hamhuis, Eriksson, Miller, etc. In those cases, the Canucks were only negotiating against themselves.

If you want to see what it will take for a true top UFA to come to Vancouver over other options, look no further than Mats Sundin. And I have to give MG credit for recruiting UFAs, as I think he was the best Canuck GM at it.
I don't accept that premise. For sure there will be players who see negatives. For sure playing in the west with all the travel issues will hindered, not just Vancouver, but most western teams from attracting UFAs. But Vancouver has in the past been a desirable destination and will be again. What is a huge negative right now is the state of the team. We still have another 1-2 losing seasons to suffer through. That will keep more UFAs away than anything else.

Most players it seems sign their UFA deals with their home club anyway. That seems to be the bigger issue. How many top UFAs have left their team in the last 10-15 years, including Vancouver's own? Praise, Suter?
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Luckily this team is in a rebuild so we have zero need to target any key UFA's, plus it's a weaker one anyways.

The only players who'd want to come here currently is one's needing a NHL job in a depth role, in addition to young junior or college UFA players who know of Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Juolevi etc.

And all it takes one key draft to get a high end player (center usually), to make it more desirable in the future.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Agree HW, Vancouver will be a desirable location again once they start winning.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:Agree HW, Vancouver will be a desirable location again once they start winning.
That is, of course, true.
Not meant as a put down in any way but it will also make a difference when it is clear to the hockey world, the Canucks are moving on without the Sedins. We already know that but it takes time to sink in around said hockey world.
Younger dynamos may actually want to start coming here and making something different.
"evolution"