NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: NHL business

Post by Hockey Widow »

The NHL has announced it will release the expansion lists to the public. Vegas gets the lists June 17th, the rest of the league and the public will get the full lists on June 18th. Vegas makes its selections on June 20th with the results released June 21st.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-to-make-ex ... -288228438

I'm glad, as a fan they are making the lists public. Let's face it, it generates internet hits and hype. It may be unsettling for some players but such is the nature of the business. Although we may see a few surprises for the most part players should already have some insight into whether a team will protect them or not.

With the various release dates GMs will have an opportunity to play expansion draft fantasy selections and try to strategically make deals with Vegas before their selections. There was some earlier suggestion that between June 17th and June 20th Vegas was to be given an exclusive widow to talk to soon to be UFA players, before their selection, to gage interest that those players may have in signing with Vegas. Other GMs naturally protested that that was an unfair advantage. Vegas is free to select any player on an expiring contract as it is. It seems, but I'm not sure, that that provision may have been dropped or is still being debated.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Vegas gets the lists June 17th
Vegas makes its selections on June 20th
A busy 3 days for Vegas! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Arachnid wrote:
dbr wrote:SKYO you left out the best part by a country mile. The Globe & Mail published a search of the unsealed emails here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incoming ... e29425257/

Looks like a lot of email addresses follow the first initial last name format, so you can search "bburke" and have a look at all of his bellyaching to the league over the years.

They really should have tried to redact a lot of this stuff.. one of the emails has Campbell telling Burke he's going to call him in his office, with the full telephone number, which still seems to work.

The Canucks appear to be firstname.lastname so maybe you can hit up jim.benning@canucks.com about your Seth Jones plan :lol:
Just sent him an e under the address male.blob.courgar@pigsty.com ...he's doing a bang up job and we approve of every move he makes....every breath he takes....we'll be watching him though...
Hey Ball Hockey where are you ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The NHL just confirmed, it is NOT attending the 2018 Olympics in South Korea.............
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

micky107 wrote:The NHL just confirmed, it is NOT attending the 2018 Olympics in South Korea.............
I guess they have enough fans?

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote:
micky107 wrote:The NHL just confirmed, it is NOT attending the 2018 Olympics in South Korea.............
Good, we don't need the schedule compression that goes along with it.

But then I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like my Canucks getting shanghaied into China in September.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Good, we don't need the schedule compression that goes along with it.
But how can the league attract more expansion money fans in the desert and other places that never watch hockey? :D

I enjoy watching Olympic hockey, but don't like what the schedule does to our travel - and besides, won't we be on our way to a Cup about then? ;)

*Bettman didn't get his kickback, did he?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Good, we don't need the schedule compression that goes along with it.
But how can the league attract more expansion money fans in the desert and other places that never watch hockey? :D

I enjoy watching Olympic hockey, but don't like what the schedule does to our travel - and besides, won't we be on our way to a Cup about then? ;)

*Bettman didn't get his kickback, did he?
Hmm, define "on our way". :wink:

Actually: DON'T!

We need less fans and less teams IMESHO.

*Bettman is an an errand boy sent by grocery clerks (to coin a phrase)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote:

But then I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like my Canucks getting shanghaied into China in September.
I don't think there would be many Canucks getting the nod to play in the Olympics. Not to mention they will be long out of any playoff race at the start of the games. Short sighted move by the owners.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote:

I don't think there would be many Canucks getting the nod to play in the Olympics.
Regardless, I still don't like the NHL schedule compression the Olympics causes.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Short sighted move by the owners.
Fools, they should listen to guys like you if they want to get super rich! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It's about growing the game. It's about growing revenues. It's stupid and it's short sighted.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

So you're saying these owners got rich by accident! :shock:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:It's about growing the game. It's about growing revenues. It's stupid and it's short sighted.
But they'll send two teams over to China to 'grow the game'... :?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cornuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:It's about growing the game. It's about growing revenues. It's stupid and it's short sighted.
But they'll send two teams over to China to 'grow the game'... :?
This is what I really don't understand. They just finish releasing they are sending teams over to grow interest in China then barely taking another breath say they won't be sending players to the Olympics, in China.

:roll:

So fuck over a couple west coast teams who suffer form the hardest travel schedule year in and year out but don't send the worlds best players to the largest and most watched hockey tourney! Ok then.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Why are some of you interested in "growing the game"? :eh:

Do you want the billionaires to become trillionaires?

Do you want 300 NHL teams spread around the world?

I figure less fans would drive ticket prices down.

I figure less teams would increase my Canucks' chances of winning the Cup.

I dream of a day when my team is one of only 6 teams in the NHL.

Think of all the Stanley Cups we'd win!
____
Try to focus on someday.