The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sure they are good players but they are not even in your Tavares/Benn tier of star players. I'd take Sean Monahan and even Bo Horvat over fellow draft class mate - McKinnon. Drouin is starting to prove to have a better game as well as Jones. Barkov is an excellent 200' player so has more value than McKinnon. Linfholm in Carolina is a nice player as well

Duschene, McKinnon and Landeskog are not much better than the infamous Oiler draft dud trio - RNH, Yak and Hall. McKinnon and Hall cancel each other out, RNH and Landeskog cancel each other out, so the Avs win with Duschene vs Yak but Duschene is almost as bad as a primadonna as Yak is
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So it's looking like we should finish no worse than 5th best odds at the lottery, when you include LV. If only the Devils can get their shit together and win a couple we could get 4th best odds but that is looking very unlikely. I believe the further back you finish the less chances of falling in the draft. At least we are in that Patrick, Hirshier, Vilardi, Mittlestadt zone. Still think we should take Glass if those 4 are gone
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

RoyalDude wrote:So it's looking like we should finish no worse than 5th best odds at the lottery, when you include LV. If only the Devils can get their shit together and win a couple we could get 4th best odds but that is looking very unlikely. I believe the further back you finish the less chances of falling in the draft. At least we are in that Patrick, Hirshier, Vilardi, Mittlestadt zone. Still think we should take Glass if those 4 are gone
For what it's worth, I think we win this one and I'm just basing that on law of averages.
If that happens, take the best player available.
"evolution"
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Nico Hischier is starting to take over some scouts #1 overall status.

Nolan Patrick's game has been declining while Hischier's has been only getting better.
Patrick missed Canada’s summer world junior camp due to sports hernia surgery; then missed this year’s world juniors, a big chunk of the regular season and all four of Brandon’s playoff games as the Wheaties were swept by Medicine Hat. Again, due to injuries.

But here’s the challenging thing about Patrick: his points production during the regular season actually dropped a bit year over year, from 1.42 to 1.39.
In Halifax, the rookie Nico has been a huge driver on a very young squad. The Mooseheads have one NHL draft pick on their roster (Tampa Bay seventh-rounder Otto Somppi) and a bunch of kids with a lot of promise. So for Hischier to come in and throw up 1.5 points per game in his first North American season is pretty significant. The No. 15 Mooseheads are current battling the second-seeded Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in the first round of the QMJHL playoffs and have taken two games off the defending champs already. Hischier has six points through five games to lead the team.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... t-prospect
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Saw a mock draft today from canuckway and we finished the season with 5 th pick and dropped to 6th

Detroit ended up 2nd
Getting old is not for the young...
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:So it's looking like we should finish no worse than 5th best odds at the lottery, when you include LV. If only the Devils can get their shit together and win a couple we could get 4th best odds but that is looking very unlikely. I believe the further back you finish the less chances of falling in the draft. At least we are in that Patrick, Hirshier, Vilardi, Mittlestadt zone. Still think we should take Glass if those 4 are gone
Arizona is within our reach too now!!
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:Nico Hischier is starting to take over some scouts #1 overall status.

Nolan Patrick's game has been declining while Hischier's has been only getting better.
Patrick missed Canada’s summer world junior camp due to sports hernia surgery; then missed this year’s world juniors, a big chunk of the regular season and all four of Brandon’s playoff games as the Wheaties were swept by Medicine Hat. Again, due to injuries.

But here’s the challenging thing about Patrick: his points production during the regular season actually dropped a bit year over year, from 1.42 to 1.39.
In Halifax, the rookie Nico has been a huge driver on a very young squad. The Mooseheads have one NHL draft pick on their roster (Tampa Bay seventh-rounder Otto Somppi) and a bunch of kids with a lot of promise. So for Hischier to come in and throw up 1.5 points per game in his first North American season is pretty significant. The No. 15 Mooseheads are current battling the second-seeded Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in the first round of the QMJHL playoffs and have taken two games off the defending champs already. Hischier has six points through five games to lead the team.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... t-prospect
Yeah I can't decide who I like more but Patricks hernia issues could be something permanent like Tyler Benson, or easily tweaked. Not sure you want to take the chance on him if picking 1st overall. Would not be disappointed if we selected Hischier if we win the lottery. He was quite impressive at the WJC.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

So RD who ya got 2nd round?

31st - 35th ish.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So frustrating. We'll finish 29th and draft 6th. I just can't get myself to believe Canuck luck will change.
The only HW the Canucks need
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

SKYO wrote:So RD who ya got 2nd round?

31st - 35th ish.
Maxime Comtois
Robert Thomas
Jonah Gadjovich

Hopefully one of those guys falls out of the first round.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:So frustrating. We'll finish 29th and draft 6th. I just can't get myself to believe Canuck luck will change.
Welcome to my plane of hell, Wids. :evil:

I don't even believe in the hockey gods anymore, just the spite, malice and corruption of the league. No luck involved, just the smirking nut kicks courtesy of the league's Toronto/New York insider crowd. Been that way since the club's very first draft.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Would be nice to get Thomas. Not big but he's a very good player, another Knights alumni, good program. Speaking of the Knights they won their playoff series against Vilardis Windsor Spitfires last night. 7th game, won 3-2. Guess who scored a goal and was selected 1st star? Juolevi. Oli potted 3 goals in this series. Yup he sucks alrighty

Has it been confirmed if Columbus is giving us the 2nd they owe us in this draft? Would not be disappointed if they didn't because the 2018 class is a very good class.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is this Next game against Arizona gonna be fun or what? Both teams battling to lose. The winner falls back to 4th best odds and the loser moves up to 2nd best odds. Watch Miller and the Sedins have career games making Wilbrod proud.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:Is this Next game against Arizona gonna be fun or what? Both teams battling to lose. The winner falls back to 4th best odds and the loser moves up to 2nd best odds. Watch Miller and the Sedins have career games making Wilbrod proud.
I see very little good coming from this game as a Canucks fan. The biggest fools will be those who paid to watch that sorry farce.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:Would be nice to get Thomas. Not big but he's a very good player, another Knights alumni, good program. Speaking of the Knights they won their playoff series against Vilardis Windsor Spitfires last night. 7th game, won 3-2. Guess who scored a goal and was selected 1st star? Juolevi. Oli potted 3 goals in this series. Yup he sucks alrighty

Has it been confirmed if Columbus is giving us the 2nd they owe us in this draft? Would not be disappointed if they didn't because the 2018 class is a very good class.
Juolevi standing out in carrying London to the next round is encouraging - keeping in mind that he is playing against mostly teenagers vice men. We'll see if he pans out against men with that supermodel physique of his. Even Benning admits the kid needs meat on those bones.

Columbus announced a while ago that they were giving Vancouver their 2nd round pick this year. Because nothing says nut-shot quite like a 2nd rounder in a street-puddle deep draft...

Hate the League.