The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote: just tired of mediocrity, this team is frustrating, yo-yo'ing all season, from worst team to a team on fire, back to bottom feeder, then win a few games. Team's tiptoing on last wild card spot at times, then back to the worst.
Some people can't handle a rebuild.
I know right, it's so annoying. 8-)

Hard to predict where the Canucks will land at this point, do they go a .650 pace from here on out? where we pick 14th overall or nah.

No I didn't do the calculations on what place that would land us if you want to get technical. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote: just tired of mediocrity, this team is frustrating, yo-yo'ing all season, from worst team to a team on fire, back to bottom feeder, then win a few games. Team's tiptoing on last wild card spot at times, then back to the worst.
Some people can't handle a rebuild.
I know right, it's so annoying. 8-)

Hard to predict where the Canucks will land at this point, do they go a .650 pace from here on out? where we pick 14th overall or nah.

No I didn't do the calculations on what place that would land us if you want to get technical. :D
I think the Canucks will end up with the 8th or 9th best lottery odds, will be in a dog fight with Winnipeg in the standings. WD has them buying into it and we are getting great goaltending. Detroit, Carolina, New Jersey and Dallas are just awful right now and showing no signs of getting better but worse. Vegas gets 3rd best odds and Colorado and Phoenix sewed up 1st and 2nd months ago
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vilardi on fire lately - has been named Canadian Hockey League Player of the Week.
In his last 13 games, he has 11 goals, 23 points (1.77 points per game). This includes 4 goals, 9 points in his last 3 games.

His season totals currently stand at 28 goals, 59 points in 43 games.
If we land outside the top 3 overall, but are still in the top 5/6 I hope we can get this guy still.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote:Vilardi on fire lately ... If we land outside the top 3 overall, but are still in the top 5/6 I hope we can get this guy still.
Nice stats - if you look at his PPG at every level it's impressive - and being 6'2 is a bonus.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vilardi will be gone by the 5th pick. Top 5 should go like

Patrick
Hischier
Mittlestat
Vilardi
Liljegren
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah it's looking like Vilardi will go top 3 for sure. The kid is on fire right now and getting rave reviews. Voted OHL player of the week recently. What's interesting about the kid is how young he is, on the cusp of not being 2017 draft class eligible but 2018. Too bad for the Canucks since we won't be picking in the top 5. Have to focus on the string bean Euro centres like Necas, Pettersen now.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Yeah it's looking like Vilardi will go top 3 for sure. The kid is on fire right now and getting rave reviews. Voted OHL player of the week recently. What's interesting about the kid is how young he is, on the cusp of not being 2017 draft class eligible but 2018. Too bad for the Canucks since we won't be picking in the top 5. Have to focus on the string bean Euro centres like Necas, Pettersen now.
Lottery dude. Need that Winnipeg bounce.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

With how well but just short of winning these days for this young hungry team, including the playing injured tanev/sutter and probably the sedins, I figure we'll play .400 hockey.

And then lotto odds will probably be on our side, canucks luck in a weaker draft, still good but no generational stars, just solid all-stars down the road.

In any case I see us landing at 4th overall, of course right after the big three patty/nico/gabe, but IF we can some Winnipeg luck (best case scenario) could land #2 or #3.

But if at #4 onwards gotta go with BPA! that leaves us with Timothy Liljegren add him to Juolevi, Tryamkin, Stecher, Hutton & Guds and we could have an all-star defense best top 6D in the league in 4 years.

Or take Dahlen's partna in crime Elias Pettersson to make a future poor mans Sedins duo, but I Dahlen has more electric game breaking ability than the twins.

Casey Mittelstadt (6-1, 201-scoring center, too bad he went to high school in minny to play hockey recently, but he will go to college for a few years I bet).

Owen Tippett (6-1, 202-pound power forward)

Cody Glass (6-2, 180-playmaking center)

Kristian Vesalainen (6-3, 207-strong LW/RW who can put up points, likes to try to score pretty goals, but consistency issues)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

No to Pettersen please, at 6'-2" 165 lbs this will be Brad Ference all over again, hearing constantly about the struggles of making him stronger to play in the NHL. Shit I don't even think Nedved was that skinny. Pettersen's brother is 23 years old, he is 6'-2" as well but managed to reach a whopping 173 lbs! No thanks, draft Glass or Tippitt instead, if Vilardi, Liljegren and Mittlestat are off the board
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Yeah it's looking like Vilardi will go top 3 for sure. The kid is on fire right now and getting rave reviews. Voted OHL player of the week recently. What's interesting about the kid is how young he is, on the cusp of not being 2017 draft class eligible but 2018. Too bad for the Canucks since we won't be picking in the top 5. Have to focus on the string bean Euro centres like Necas, Pettersen now.
Lottery dude. Need that Winnipeg bounce.
The Perreault curse, IN. Not happening.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reading a lot of not so glowing reports on Nolan Patrick's game lately, not very good away from the puck, skating not so good, durability issues - injured yesterday needing help to be carried off the ice. Starting to wonder about this kid, in fact starting to wonder about the WHL in general. The Canucks seem to be striking gold in the USHL -
Demko, Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood. Reading some good things about Lockwood. Anyhow, Patrick is not looking like the runaway best player of this draft, could be a decent player but 1st overall material? Has me thinking of Nugent-Hopkins at best. It's almost like you don't want to be picking first in this draft. He'll even Hischier has tailed off a bit since the WJC's. This is a draft that a team will only do as well as your scouting staff is good. Reminds me of the Ekblad draft class where the best players were not picked in the top 5. Pasternak is looking like the consensus best player of the 2014 draft class.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote:Reading a lot of not so glowing reports on Nolan Patrick's game lately, not very good away from the puck, skating not so good, durability issues - injured yesterday needing help to be carried off the ice. Starting to wonder about this kid, in fact starting to wonder about the WHL in general. The Canucks seem to be striking gold in the USHL -
Demko, Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood. Reading some things about Lockwood. Anyhow, Patrick is not looking like the runaway best player of this draft, could be a decent player but 1st overall material? Has me thinking of Nugent-Hopkins at best. It's almost like you don't want to be picking first in this draft. He'll even Hischier has tailed off a bit since the WJC's. This is a draft that a team will only do as well as your scouting staff is good. Reminds me of the Ekblad draft class where the best players were not picked in the top 5. Pasternak is looking like the consensus best player of the 2014 draft class.
I told you, sports hernias can be tricky. They can also be painful, even after rehab. There can sometimes be a mental recovery period as well. Some of this is just fear, but it can change a player for quite some time.
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Reading the posts on this thread, this draft crop appears to be the worst in history. Our luck, this is when Vancouver gets the first overall pick. In that case, would Benning trade it if the best he can pick is a glorified Brandon Sutter in Patrick or another girly-Hopkins in Hischier?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote:Reading the posts on this thread, this draft crop appears to be the worst in history. Our luck, this is when Vancouver gets the first overall pick. In that case, would Benning trade it if the best he can pick is a glorified Brandon Sutter in Patrick or another girly-Hopkins in Hischier?
We did pretty well in the last "worst draft in history".