Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:When the best players on the team are the youth, but the vets are running the show it takes a seasoned veteran coach to lead the platoon to winning ways.

But I don't think the best coach could turn this team around without Jim Benning making some difficult trades to get a superior top line forming to phase out the Sedins asap (2nd line) to retirement in 2019.
Starting to get a feeling that JB is caught in the middle. Is it possible that, to a point, his hands are tied?

Isn't WD Trevor's guy? Just wondering who Trevor is listening to.

Reef was blaming ownership a bit and I do agree that Aquillini may not be the smartest pure hockey guy but he is a great hockey fan and has never shown a reluctance to pay whatever it takes.

In short: Nothing can work properly unless the GM has a free hand and I don't know for sure he does...
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:When the best players on the team are the youth, but the vets are running the show it takes a seasoned veteran coach to lead the platoon to winning ways.

But I don't think the best coach could turn this team around without Jim Benning making some difficult trades to get a superior top line forming to phase out the Sedins asap (2nd line) to retirement in 2019.

So Elmer is going to make some difficult trades to just "get a superior top line"..... that's cool. So adios to the 2017 1st, Bo Horvat,Olli Juolevi and Brock Boeser. Those are the types of pieces and then some that will have to be dealt away for this future superior top line.

The team is a mess top to bottom. They need Nolan Patrick or Gabe Vilardi in the worst way. And they need to accumulate picks and prospects instead of pissing them away.

And Doc who exactly on this forum or anywhere else is so deathly afraid of the word rebuild? I have been screaming for one for 4 years.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Nobody is going to buy or trade for the Sedins as a pair.

Nobody is going to buy one of either at a trade deadline.

Mike Gillis, (or ownership), put the last nails in the coffin a long time ago.

IMO, there was no reason to freak-out months before their contracts were up.

Was Burke interfering? Maybe should have found that out and if so, called him on it.

The point is, they came back with shiny new extensions of 7 mil. each and they were happy and even said it was a home town discount????? OK, then.

I was an idiot at the time because I actually thought they would have signed here for about 5.5 each because this is where they wanted to be.

I still often wonder, where we would be if we had of waited.

But when it transpired the way it did, I knew this was going happen.

So did Kesler.

Not trying to be an ass but I keep saying this was always going to be tough...

It will take 3 full years with extremely good drafting and player management to get to a respectable position...

Doesn't mean it has to be all gloomy and boring.. :eh:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: And Doc who exactly on this forum or anywhere else is so deathly afraid of the word rebuild? I have been screaming for one for 4 years.
I suggested (to Mondi) that Canucks management prefer the word "retool" to the word "rebuild".

I also suggested (to Mondi) that a rebuild has been in process for a coupla years now.

One day good buddy you're gonna feel real stupid for criticizing Lord Benning so much. :mex:

Try to focus on 2-3 years from now...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: Elmer has already traded away three former first round picks
... and traded for three former first round picks (Baertschi, Sutter, Gudbranson).

(five if you count Etem) :mrgreen:
Mondi wrote: I think Jake and Tryamkin will be moved soon in an attempt to make the playoffs this year.
Surely you jest. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: My post was mostly tongue in cheek.
I... see. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: And Doc who exactly on this forum or anywhere else is so deathly afraid of the word rebuild? I have been screaming for one for 4 years.
I suggested (to Mondi) that Canucks management prefer the word "retool" to the word "rebuild".

I also suggested (to Mondi) that a rebuild has been in process for a coupla years now.

One day good buddy you're gonna feel real stupid for criticizing Lord Benning so much. :mex:

Lol I'd love to slam crow a few years from now.

Keep in mind I'll have a backhoe full of crow shit , beaks, feathers and guts to cram down a few yaps on this board when Elmer gets the boot.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:when Elmer gets the boot.

Don't you get it man, Dirty Elmer Benning is here to clean up this town, the man is a H E R O :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:

And what exactly will happen in 2-3 years?

Doc I mention Horvat because he has potential but 50 points is not a 1st line player, does he have another 20 points to get up to 70-80 points???. I mentioned Boser because he doing well but until he plays 82 NHL games we won't know. But those 2 guys are it, nothing else is even remotely top line players so far.

So picking 10-20 normally does not give you a 70+ player, Canucks needs 1-2 top 5 FORWARDS to be a contender again.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Last season we couldn't string together more than 2 wins in a row until the very end of the season. We were on track to challenge Toronto for that 30th overall spot and much better odds in the draft lottery. Then we went through California and took 3 straight against SJ, ANA, and LA. It was a total kick in the nuts for fans who want to see a future contender in Vancity.

I think we should be loving the Sedins at this point. Their leadership, and useless attack, all but guarantees that the only place the Canucks are going to have a shot at doing any damage is in the draft lottery.

As for Elmer.....I didn't want Eriksson here because everyone was going to point to his chemistry with the Sedins at the WC's as the Twins finally having a real top line forward to skate with. I didn't want it because it was like everyone was forgetting that the Sedins weren't the same players they were during those games. Brutal signing at the 9 game mark.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Eriksson also had a slow start with the Bruins until Julien started switching up his linemates to find a good match.
Boston:
even with good players, things can take time. Eriksson had admitted last week that he was still trying to shake some of his habits that he had from playing in Dallas.
“This year he had a slow start, like a lot of guys, but for some reason the focus was more on him than maybe others,” Julien said. “Now he’s playing well, so I think we’re seeing the Loui Eriksson that everybody kind of saw in making that decision to bring him to Boston.

“He’s playing well. He’s a smart player. He doesn’t have that super-fast speed but he’s still a good skater and he’s a smart player in all areas, defensively and offensively. He’s starting to score some goals, he’s starting to make some really nice plays and it looks like his game is coming around.”

NHL scouts attending recent Bruins games have been impressed with Eriksson’s play, but those scouts would like to see more from him.

“Last few games he’s been better, but still not great,” one scout said. “He plays a soft game with not much pace to him, but he’s smart with the puck down low and has the ability to create, but not real willing to get into those [dirty] areas.”

In the locker room, Eriksson is as down to earth as most hockey players. He’s not concerned with how Seguin is playing in Dallas. Eriksson is only focused on playing well in Boston. He’s worked hard to finally reach this level of success, but now it needs to continue.
http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/bruins/ ... -into-form
I think Eriksson will come around in December once he finds the Canucks synergy and creates chemistry with a few players.

Markus Granlund continues to impress, dude is gritty and has no fear, fights through around the net and he plays better defense than half of our defensemen ha. Every game he has one wicked setup pass.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Not worried about Eriksson, he will come around

Stecher is here to stay

Start squeezing Tryamkin into the line-up

Try to trade Edler, yeah he has a NTC but keep working him

Trade Miller

First time I've said this I think - split the Sedins up

Keep playing Virtanen lots and live with his mistakes

Fire WD

Make Horvat your no. 1 centre

Stop sweating the empty seats at Rogers. They are bored of Sedin hockey, it's not about winning to get fans back, it's a hopeful future that will get them interested again.

Tank it baby!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Wow, I can't believe I agree with almost everything RD said. Only thing about splitting the Sedins is, it's fine for Hank, but Daniel becomes completely useless.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:
Tank it baby!
Imagine if they had started the tank 2 or 3 years ago....
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote:Wow, I can't believe I agree with almost everything RD said. Only thing about splitting the Sedins is, it's fine for Hank, but Daniel becomes completely useless.
No point splitting them now, but I still think Rodin, when he comes back, and for now, Granlund.
These are not high profile players but IMO could work with them and learn their game.
It is just way too easy to throw Hansen with them but right now the player that needs to play with Hansen,
is Eriksson. That will work, meaning it will get him going. That is a rare and wonderful skill Hansen has of helping whoever he plays with, better.

Again, you don't touch that second line, it's coming: (Bo, Baer, Virt),

I haven't got a clue why Burrows was given an "A" to wear? What? Thanks for the memories?
Bo Horvat should be wearing an A full time now. That, to me, sends all the right messages.
"evolution"