Ok Lurkers... step into the light...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Ok Lurkers... step into the light...

Post by Strangelove »

Rede wrote:I'd say I count as a lurker since I visit daily and have for over a decade (here and at the previous forums) but I do post infrequently when I have something to say. And I also do have an avatar...

Can't get excited about WCH... but think Benning is doing a good job of building a team, if not a great job of asset management. I think he has a roster he envisions and is trading and drafting for specific pieces of that team, vs trying to maximize asset value. (It's why Granlund for Shinkaruk made sesne - Shinkaruk wouldn't fill a hole on the roster Benning is trying to build, but Granlund has the potential to.)
You should post more.
____
Try to focus on someday.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Strangelove wrote:
Rede wrote:I'd say I count as a lurker since I visit daily and have for over a decade (here and at the previous forums) but I do post infrequently when I have something to say. And I also do have an avatar...

Can't get excited about WCH... but think Benning is doing a good job of building a team, if not a great job of asset management. I think he has a roster he envisions and is trading and drafting for specific pieces of that team, vs trying to maximize asset value. (It's why Granlund for Shinkaruk made sesne - Shinkaruk wouldn't fill a hole on the roster Benning is trying to build, but Granlund has the potential to.)
You should post more.
Oh yes, another YangSTER
cc oldtimer
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

$lacker here, long time lurker, 236th time poster. Been lurking going back to the Central days so will be a hard habit to break, but I'll try to pipe in more especially once the season starts up.
Mosc55
AHL Prospect

Post by Mosc55 »

Fine, fine, fine. I have been reading / "lurking" the forums on here for ages, and Canucks Central before I found this after it shut down so sure, I will start adding my comments into all the craziness that erupts on here now...you got me :D

Die hard fan since '89.
Toasty_B
AHL Prospect

Post by Toasty_B »

OK Cornuck, now that you made the call, perhaps it's a good time for me to peer around the Corner.

Haven't posted here since May 2012. Been promising Rats19 that I would post here but "life" got in the way. I guess watching a bit of the WCH pre-tournament games and hearing about the optimism of the upcoming Canucks season has sparked my interest in this place again.

I still lurk here because I enjoy reading Hockey Widow's "inside scoops". Plus the discussion level is much more intelligent here than at HF or CDC, but not too technically overwhelming (i.e.: dissertations into fancy stats).

I might not post very often but I don't mind sharing an opinion if it needs to be said.

As for the upcoming season, I tend to be more optimistic than most other observers. The team have a solid core of youngsters coming up through the system, with more on the way. Benning is the first Canuck GM in a long while to place a premium on drafting and development.

I also like how the defence is shaping up, with the addition of Gudbranson and the emergence of Tanev and Hutton as reliable blueliners. Hopefully Tryamkin or Juolevi will step in to strengthen that back line when Edler moves on.

Forwards are good for now, but I have concerns about centre and left wing. The team may be a couple of injuries away from scraping the bottom as they did last year if they happen to be in those positions.

Overall, I'm expecting an improved result from last year and a possible push for a playoff spot. I don't think they get in this year, though.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

K Corn, it's been a while so here I am.

Dog days of summer and work getting in the way of making meaningful posts around here.

I'm hoping some stars emerge this season. This team has needed a succession plan for the Sedins for the past two years, and nobody in the room or the system has grabbed the mic and shown that they are the answer.

I was hoping for a Naslund-style revelation to happen last season - one of those players who makes the unanticipated jump into NHL stardom and gives hope to the faithful that contention really is around the corner. The best we could get was some rookies get their feet wet and tease of promise.

I think there's more reason for hope in this regard this season. Rodin could translate his SEL success to the NHL (once his knee is GTG and his fitness catches up); Baertschi offers more promise this year than last that he could become a true 2nd line scorer; Virtanen... who knows, but management has been keeping him under their thumb all summer so there's room for hope; Horvat... love the kid but he may top out as a Brind'amour clone. Great asset to have, but a successor to the Sedins he is not.

The Youngstars Tournament will show where our prospects sit compared to other W. Canadian clubs, but I don't expect any revelations there. We'll see what and who shows up at main camp.

Regardless, this team won't go anywhere far until Demko and Boeser show up ready to steal the show. Hopefully by then the rest of the Post-Sedin generation will be ready to contend and compete.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Nice...keep on posting lurkers. It's welcoming and refreshing now don't be strangers...

Rats19
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I've been too busy poolside slaying old fashions listening to Frank Sinatra having groovy conversations to post
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:I've been too busy poolside slaying old fashions listening to Frank Sinatra having groovy conversations to post
Not "everything" is about you dude.. :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I've been too busy poolside slaying old fashions listening to Frank Sinatra having groovy conversations to post
Not "everything" is about you dude.. :wink:
My universe is your universe
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Miyagi - Borderline lurker since the mass influx.

Once real hockey starts I'll be more involved. Not getting the center ice package this year so I'll need to rely on all of the insight more than ever to know what's happening with my beloved Canucks.

FWIW I visit every day ... should definitely get more involved. While typing this post I realized something ... blame my lack of input on my girlfriend! Not for the reasons one would assume either. ;) She runs a home-based business from our house and has replaced my keyboard with an ergonomic-friendly one that really discourages my hunt-and-peck style of typing, therefore discouraging detailed posts...I blame everything on her lol
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Hockey_God
CC Rookie

Post by Hockey_God »

I've been lurking forever. I haven't seen an intelligent post since Jumanji committed suicide. I am currently recruiting for a mission to Uganda. So far only Blob is coming with me.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:. Not getting the center ice package this year so...
Pshyaaawww right...
I said ithe same thing early last year then so did IN and guess what...you cant say no. One look at the chemistry of the Sedins and Eriksson at the worlds has me already reaching for the early bird discount!
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey_God wrote: Jumanji .
I do miss the Lecavalier love...i wonder if he has finally admitted it wouldve been a disaster yet
If you need air...call it in