Fellow computer nerds...Give me a hand!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Get the...

Voodoo
20%
Sony VAIO
20%
Toshiba Qosmio
40%
Other (specify please!)
20%

Total votes: 5

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Fellow computer nerds...Give me a hand!

Post by jchockey »

So I'm leaving for university next year, and as a gift I'm getting a new notebook computer. My uncles/aunts, grandparents, and parents are pitching in to buy one for me, so I guess I can splurge a little. This is going to be a four year investment anyway.

My shortlist includes:

Voodoo ENVY Middleweight a538

Sony VAIO FS series

Toshiba Qosmio

I am leaning towards the Voodoo though, since my friends say it's great and durable, but tends to get hot. It is also the most expensive of the three, so that really becomes a factor. I may have to pitch in a couple hundred bucks to make up for it.

I really don't know much about computers, so any of you guys out there that know what you're talking about, help me out!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Sorry, don't know much about notebooks, by www.epinions.com is a good place to start.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

I would go for a Acer Travelmate myself. I have a Acer that has served me for over 2 years now and still going strong. Acer is not as well known a brand as Sony or Toshiba for example but Acer gives very good features for the same price. Happy hunting.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Yeah computers are pretty much a commodity now so its no sense paying for brand names or top of the line models. Better yet you can even lease a lap top for 25 bucks a month and upgrade it every year which will leave you more $$ for beer and weed :twisted: Unless you are into cutting edge gaming or your work is paying for it there is no sense getting an expensive model. As a student you will only really need a web browser and microsoft office and cellphones can run those apps these days
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Dell, IBM (Lenovo) or Toshiba. If you're going to be moving it around a lot, you should get something built tough that will last. And if you're not that into computers getting a laptop with a good warranty is a fantastic idea (which is why I mention the three above companies). IMO, Sony notebooks are overpriced for what they are and aren't worth the money (YMMV however).
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Thanks for the input guys, but I've settled on the Voodoo. On the expensive side, but it will last me a long time and has a pretty good battery (5ish hrs) since I will be moving around quite a bit. A healthy 6 lbs. and 1.1" height. I will be using it for multimedia purposes too so I think this is the best option.

It is also there for the occasional gaming as well. :D
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Good luck. I (for one) wouldn't mind a bit of a review when you get it. I hadn't heard of Voodoobefore, but after browsing their site (and reading some reviews from Anandtech) they look pretty good, if not really expensive.

[/url]
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

They are pretty to look at, but I got a refurbished HP laptop with the all the bells including

15.4" wxga brightview
AMD 64-bit 2.0 GHz
768 MB Ram
128 MB ATI card
dvd burner
60 GB HDD
XP installed
1 year warranty

Keys are not quite as likeable as on my old Dell (i'm used to sensitive keys where now I have to press them harder) but everything else is on par or better. And it looks brand new.

for $885 CAD ($985 including taxes). I think the dude's site is www.wattselectronics.ca

Money saved, my friend.
Eyes on the Prize
juhuu
AHL Prospect

Post by juhuu »

i´m sorry...im a computer idiot!!!!!!!
Vanekfan3
AHL Prospect

Post by Vanekfan3 »

haha you arent a nerd.