US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: US Erection 12

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: From the linked article:
Until now, Boehner resisted calls from House Republicans to establish such a committee, repeatedly pointing to the four House panels already investigating the matter
Yeah, because four panels investigating Benghazi is simply not enough!
Let's get a fifth one going! :look:
Further down in the linked article:
Boehner said the select committee would “elevate the investigation to a new level.”

The leadership aide, who declined to be identified in order to speak freely about internal talks, explained that "while the existing investigatory committees in the House have full subpoena power, the administration has now demonstrated it is willing to flagrantly defy such subpoena requests, compelling the House to consider taking the strongest actions possible in an effort to ensure Americans have the truth about what happened."
If the other committees hadn't discovered wrong-doing and obstruction of justice

... there wouldn't be a need for this select committee.

http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/bo ... e-benghazi
WASHINGTON, DC – House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) is announcing today that he intends for the House to vote to create a new select committee to investigate the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya that killed four Americans. He released the following statement:

“Americans learned this week that the Obama Administration is so intent on obstructing the truth about Benghazi that it is even willing to defy subpoenas issued by the standing committees of the People's House. These revelations compel the House to take every possible action to ensure the American people have the truth about the terrorist attack on our consulate that killed four of our countrymen. In light of these new developments, the House will vote to establish a new select committee to investigate the attack, provide the necessary accountability, and ensure justice is finally served.

“The administration's withholding of documents – emails showing greater White House involvement in misleading the American people – is a flagrant violation of trust and undermines the basic principles of oversight upon which our system of government is built. And it forces us to ask the question, what else about Benghazi is the Obama administration still hiding from the American people?

The House committees that have been investigating this attack have done extraordinary work, using their subpoena power, holding dozens of hearings, and conducting hundreds of interviews. Without this work we would not know much that we do today. But it’s clear that questions remain, and the administration still does not respect the authority of Congress to provide proper oversight. This dismissiveness and evasion requires us to elevate the investigation to a new level. I intend for this select committee to have robust authority, and I will expect it to work quickly to get answers for the American people and the families of the victims."
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

He's attained Rumfeldian idiocy.

"we will need to act on the truths that we know"

"I've seen how inadequate my own words have been."

It been a coon's age since I first asked, "Is he dead yet."
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So my American In-Laws informed us last night they have a 5 year plan to leave the US and move to Canada, wifes Mom lived in Canada for awhile so she has dual citizenship. She says it's a complete shit show down there and getting worse by the day. She's completely against guns but they now apparently own one for safely reasons. It's funny because they are peace loving California pot head hippies, who spend their days gardening high as a kite.' The country has gone complete paranoia.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Are they moving into the basement of your castle in West Van , Pacific Blue?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Per wrote:I think It's safe to say I speak for all Europeans, that we are happy to see Obama win another term.

The last republican in the White House started two wars and dug the US into a financial hole so deep it spiralled into a global recession. The longer we can stay away from a repeat of that, the better.
Most Canadians feel this way. Minus the Afghan war, which was a just and noble war.

Obama's shine, as a great orator, has worn off. But his policies ring true an make sense to a vast majority of Canadians.

It's too bad that America has become a corporatocracy. The downward spiral will continue, because (aside from some social policies) both parties are the same.
You're a teacher right ?

Slap yourself for using "corporatocracy" as a word.

Plutocracy is a word and perhaps more fitting than your Steve Maddenism...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ukcanuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Per wrote:I think It's safe to say I speak for all Europeans, that we are happy to see Obama win another term.

The last republican in the White House started two wars and dug the US into a financial hole so deep it spiralled into a global recession. The longer we can stay away from a repeat of that, the better.
Most Canadians feel this way. Minus the Afghan war, which was a just and noble war.

Obama's shine, as a great orator, has worn off. But his policies ring true an make sense to a vast majority of Canadians.

It's too bad that America has become a corporatocracy. The downward spiral will continue, because (aside from some social policies) both parties are the same.
You're a teacher right ?
No, I'm not. Aren't you, or do you just play one online?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... oratocracy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Are they moving into the basement of your castle in West Van , Pacific Blue?
West Van North Van, same diff Boobs. It's all about the Haves on the North Shore. This isn't hillbilly land like where Island Nucklehead is from - Port Hardy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Are they moving into the basement of your castle in West Van , Pacific Blue?
West Van North Van, same diff Boobs. It's all about the Haves on the North Shore. This isn't hillbilly land like where Island Nucklehead is from - Port Hardy
LOL Port Hardy! I remember driving up there in a Ford Aerostar for a tourney, those kids were fucking mean. Savages. Them and Powell River, always sucked playing against them. Fishermen and lumberjack kids... both places gave out shitty trophies.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As a spectator down here, it's very interesting to watch.

I have friends that are supporting Trump and some that are supporting Clinton. Basically good people on each side with no major character flaws. But each has their reasons.

For the trump supporters, they say the system's broken and it will take an outsider to fix it. That's pretty much all it is. They aren't overtly racist (it doesn't come up in conversation), they might have a bias against immigration, and lightly support some his 'policies' - but for the most part they think he's an outsider who will "fix things".

I know more people that wanted Bernie to get the nomination, but now most are backing Clinton under the lessor of two evils theory.

Then there are some that just think Clinton is a good, hard working politician who will make things happen.

It's really scary to start thinking about how this election could go and for what reasons.

I have to think that anyone who is supporting trump because he'll fix things is seriously delusional. My only comment to that is "Why would a narcissistic billionaire want to help the lower classes of society?" I've never liked this guy, from his stupid show to his ugly towers and his overbearing personality. It turn out that he will likely just hand the reins over to his VP and go around making speeches. His biggest challenge as president would be to put his investments in a blind trust and stay out of trumpcorp for 4 years.

As for Clinton, she is carrying WAY too much baggage into this election. If you think the Republicans obstructed Obama, just wait to see how they 'work' with Clinton. Unless the Dems win the house and senate, nothing will get done for 4 years (and maybe that's a good thing). The only positive about Clinton getting in that it will be business as usual for wall street and the stock market. There may some slight social progress, but for the most part, stability will be the theme and the dollar should hold its value.

What amazes me is that the Libertarians have not jumped into this election and played the center-left position. They may never have a better chance to cash in on a voting public that is fed up with both parties and has a large dislike of each candidate. They sadly have a deep core of wing nuts that will keep the party from taking flight.

In the end, November could easily see trump as president as his base is very, very passionate and will get out to vote. The dems are losing the younger voters, but should have enough minority votes to keep the presidency - IF they can get them to vote.

The debates could actually swing this thing. trump could bully Clinton and engage his base and likely offend the rest, or he could make Clinton look foolish (remember the barking like a dog speech?). On the other hand Clinton could make trump appear to all like the ignorant, uninformed con-man he is and sway a lot of voters.

It's ugly down here. The sheer contempt that each side has for the other is growing and each side gets more polarized and further apart.

Like your healthcare system, your election system may have some flaws, but appreciate what you have and especially what you don't have.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Supreme Court goes to the wolves if Clinton wins for decades....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:Supreme Court goes to the wolves if Clinton wins for decades....
Depends upon your perspective of course.

I'd rather see 'liberal' judges who vote for equality than 'conservative' judges who want to hold people back and give more power to the corporations. (generally speaking, of course)

In a perfect world, the Supreme court would not be leaning left or right, but consider only the people they should be serving.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Labour creates zero jobs.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:Labour creates zero jobs.
If I'm reading you right, you want conservative judges to take the majority in SCOTUS to keep labour and unions at bay?

So it's the old debate about worker's rights vs corporate profits? I have no problem with with companies making money, but the only goal these days for many is the quarterly report at the expense of everything else. I think we've reached a tipping point down here.

Companies can hide their money offshore and have their products made overseas, but still be a good American company. Unions still have a place, and although there's a lot wrong with them, there needs to be a counter balance to corporate profits above all.

Walmart's an easy target, so I'll leave them - but how about a company like Starbucks that seems to find a balance between growth and having decent worker relationships? How would you run your company?
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Griz ? Where are ya, buddy ?

Here, I'll try to help the process along:
griz wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:Yes, Drumpf is bad enough that an evil criminal bitch is a better choice. But let's only talk about that in the Bar and Grill.
Why is Trump bad again? Anyone? Or is it just fashionable to mindlessly attack him?

I'll move further discussion to the other thread as per your request.
Things that make Drumpf bad:

1) withdrawing support for NATO
2) destabilizing lack of transparency on foreign policy
3) wildly inaccurate (and often contradictory) statements during his campaign

but even if you like those, there is an element of his platform that, for me, is an absolute deal-breaker: he wants to abolish the EPA. I am part of that whiny special-interest group that breaths air and drinks water. How selfish, I know, but in politics we all reserve the right to pursue our narrow self interests.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

As we both know corn, left and right get all fucked up without checks and balances. However in my belief you need job creation first. Then job fillers. It cannot be the other way around it just isn't possible, so I do want the right having majority at all times, but to be kept in check . Because both ideologies will go overboard left alone.