Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:42 pm

I imagine the Canucks will allow the likes of Virtanen, Gaunce, Etem, Granlund and Rodin determine the final 2-3 forward spots. Virtanen better watch his back, or he'll be in Utica. Still hoping they can find a taker for Burrows if we retain half his cap hit. The top line is set (assuming they do the Tre Kronor line), Sutter and Horvat will go 2-3 C, and the rest is pretty much wide open. A guy like Rodin could end up on the second line, or he could be on waivers come October. Makes things interesting, but also a sign of our shitty depth.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:49 pm

Let's not forget we also signed Megna and Rendulic today. :mrgreen:

Benning picked up four players destined for Utica. They needed some players.
The only HW the Canucks need

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Mondi wrote:If Jakey V can't beat out guys like Etem, Rodin, Guance, Granlund...just, wow.

If he is a cut above out of camp he will be on the team. But if not, a year in Utica won't hurt him at all. And maybe, just maybe, Benning won't want to lose any of those four to waivers. Because if he does he'll have to deal with his critics whining about poor asset management :mrgreen: . Some people still cry over Corrado

I like the potential Virtanen has, he just didn't show last year he was ready for the NHL.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Benning presser today:

* targeted several top line guys. Once they got Eriksson they didn't have to move too far down their list to their second tier guys.

* like his speed, passing, goal scoring and 200' game. Will be on the PK and first unit PP. Not worried about his age. Thinks he will be productive throughout the term.

*Asked if Burrows could or would be bought out later in the summer. No, team made a decision they are better off with him. Raved about his leadership and mentoring. Puts it all on the ice every shift. Key part of the core and vet mentoring. Plans to have him in the line up this season.

* asked if he had plans to add anyone else. Said yes. Said they have been trying to make trade(s) for the past 2-3 weeks to clear cap/roster spots but nothing so far that makes sense. Said if he had a crystal ball he would imagine that we acquire a skilled forward that plays with grit via trade. Sounded like he was telling us something without telling us.

* is aware of the roster situation. Likes that we will have competition for all spots but is also aware of the waiver situation. Hopes to get something addressed over the summer.

* Larsen penciled in to top PP unit. Great at walking the line and getting shots through. Great first pass and at carrying the puck. Good friends with both Hansen and Eriksson, who both raved about him. Sees we have 9 NHL D men, 10 if you count Stecker. Something may change before camp. Has had a lot of interest regarding some on the back end. (doesn't Tanev's NTC kick in next July)

* expect an announcement over the next couple of days on new A coach. Interviews done, choice made, contract needs finalizing.

* asked if he was going to sit on the remaining cap over concerns about next year and players needing new deals. Said no. Plenty of expiring contracts next year to fit everyone in.

* reiterated that they are working the trade front but that may not shake out until FA settles. Also said they are in touch with a few FA still but they too need to let things settle. Got the feeling there is a player or two he could go after but that something else is at the forefront on the trade front. So if he can swing a trade no more FA but if the trade doesn't pan out he has options still in FA.

* reiterated a few times that the guy they want to bring in will be a skilled forward that plays with grit, could be high end depending on how our roster shakes out or lower tier if we are tight to it, cap and roster. Really sounds like he has something being discussed on the trade front but nothing concrete or imminent.

* said a couple of times that they love all the internal competition but also know their roster situation and are working the phones to see if they can clear up the roster.

*the plan is still unchanged. Build for the future while staying competitive. Understands teams like Calgary and Edmonton added grit and size but said we did to in adding Gudbranson and still have the opportunity to add grit up front.

* he really likes how are D has shaped up so the focus remains on the forwards. Did not look at other D in FA in a serious way. Once they got Gudbranson they decided to not re-sign Hamhuis and not push for D in FA.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Mondi wrote:Fair enough HW. I'm not losing any sleep over Frank American Hockey League Corrado.

But what is bothering me is that this team is now the 2009 Calgary Flames.
This current Canucks team is not a good comparison to the 09' flames, I would say when Benning joined the Canucks team in 2014, that was the good comparison to the 2009 Flames, a stale old team, no prospects and dying fast.

But within 2 years, our 24 yrs old and under players have risen up quick, and we got a lot more prospects developing either on the team to Utica or juniors.

Plus their squad was built around Iggy a winger, where we got the probable hhof duo center/winger of the twins.

We got a team building up to for a high turnover rate of millennials asap.

Next year burr/millsy gone, in comes demko/boeser maybe juolevi, there is far more upside and promise for this squad than meets the eye.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 pm

So Elmer agrees with me that team needs more sandpaper up front. There's one guy in Virtanen up front that throws his weight around. Skyo and dude must be pissed.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So Elmer agrees with me that team needs more sandpaper up front. There's one guy in Virtanen up front that throws his weight around. Skyo and dude must be pissed.

He practically quoted you Blob!!

Seriously though he emphasized several times that they still wanted to add a skilled guy that can play with sandpaper and grit. (not John Scott :mrgreen: )

I really had the sense he's been working the phones on this one and he's hit the pause button in FA in a holding pattern.

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

If he did that then everyone would destroy him for such a terrible contract.

But I'm hoping he can still address this with a trade or two.
Try to focus on THIS year...

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Hank wrote:Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

If he did that then everyone would destroy him for such a terrible contract.

But I'm hoping he can still address this with a trade or two.
Eriksson and Lucic end up with the same AAV, but Lucic is signed for an extra year.

Lucic is 3 years younger, and even when his speed and scoring touch start to diminish he will still bring something to the ice because of his size, strength, and asshole factor.

Eriksson will be a guy that we are paying $6M for 40 points by the time his contract is at the halfway mark. He isn't a physical player or a net presence.

I would take Lucic at $6M until he is 34 years old over Eriksson at the same price until he is 37.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:42 pm

I probably would as well Meds but he didn't want to play here, same with Andrew Ladd.

I don't mind Eriksson, he's a good player and a solid two way guy. Sure the term all of the top line guys got is a bit long, but that's what it takes to land a big fish on July 1. A Brouwer or a Mcginn on top of Loui would have been a good day for Ignitowski.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:So Elmer agrees with me that team needs more sandpaper up front. There's one guy in Virtanen up front that throws his weight around. Skyo and dude must be pissed.

He practically quoted you Blob!!

Seriously though he emphasized several times that they still wanted to add a skilled guy that can play with sandpaper and grit. (not John Scott :mrgreen: )

I really had the sense he's been working the phones on this one and he's hit the pause button in FA in a holding pattern.
I got the same feeling, that he has something on the front burner and it's close but not there quite yet. Still some work to do, because as is I think the Flames and Oilers improved just as much as we did so far, while the Kings, Sharks and Ducks are just much better. Will be difficult to make the playoffs as is.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I probably would as well Meds but he didn't want to play here, same with Andrew Ladd.

I don't mind Eriksson, he's a good player and a solid two way guy. Sure the term all of the top line guys got is a bit long, but that's what it takes to land a big fish on July 1. A Brouwer or a Mcginn on top of Loui would have been a good day for Ignitowski.
Yeah. I'm not for a second faulting Benning for not getting Ladd or Lucic. If a player doesn't want to come then it is what it is.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:59 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning presser today:

* reiterated that they are working the trade front but that may not shake out until FA settles. Also said they are in touch with a few FA still but they too need to let things settle. Got the feeling there is a player or two he could go after but that something else is at the forefront on the trade front. So if he can swing a trade no more FA but if the trade doesn't pan out he has options still in FA.

* reiterated a few times that the guy they want to bring in will be a skilled forward that plays with grit, could be high end depending on how our roster shakes out or lower tier if we are tight to it, cap and roster. Really sounds like he has something being discussed on the trade front but nothing concrete or imminent.
Evander Kane?? :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow wrote:
* he really likes how are D has shaped up so the focus remains on the forwards. Did not look at other D in FA in a serious way. Once they got Gudbranson they decided to not re-sign Hamhuis and not push for D in FA.
Travis Yost was full of it when he said the Canucks made a $25m offer to Russell. :mad:

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Benning presser..

* asked if he had plans to add anyone else. Said yes. Said they have been trying to make trade(s) for the past 2-3 weeks to clear cap/roster spots but nothing so far that makes sense. Said if he had a crystal ball he would imagine that we acquire a skilled forward that plays with grit via trade. Sounded like he was telling us something without telling us.

I could see a trade of Gaunce & Sbisa for Landeskog... a gritty winger who can score...
Grenier played for Roy in Junior or Hansen could be added if they don't like Gaunce.. they don't have many defenseman signed so Sbisa would fit.. or a Tanev for Landeskog straight up

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:25 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:With Larsen now signed our D is full. Maybe not good, but full. Trymakin the only one who doesn't need to clear waivers. Pedan likely to get done too.

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson
Hutton
Trymakin
Sbisa
Larsen
Biega
Pedan

Looks like, barring a trade, we will carry 8 D and waive someone.

This means limiting the number of forwards, where we are already at, or over the max, with few options to send players to Utica. I don't like not having roster flexibility. The downside of trading for players further along in the development curve.

Sedin
Sedin
Eriksson
Burrows
Horvat
Baertschi
Virtanen
Sutter
Hansen
Granlund
Etem
Dorsett
Rodin
Gaunce
Grenier
At this point Biega + Grenier get waived down to Utica... if a team claims them, no problemo.

Benning has 3 months to trade a forward or two.

3 months Wids! :thumbs:

Way too soon to worry about "roster flexibility" there Sugar 'n Spice. :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!