Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So Elmer agrees with me that team needs more sandpaper up front. There's one guy in Virtanen up front that throws his weight around. Skyo and dude must be pissed.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So Elmer agrees with me that team needs more sandpaper up front. There's one guy in Virtanen up front that throws his weight around. Skyo and dude must be pissed.

He practically quoted you Blob!!

Seriously though he emphasized several times that they still wanted to add a skilled guy that can play with sandpaper and grit. (not John Scott :mrgreen: )

I really had the sense he's been working the phones on this one and he's hit the pause button in FA in a holding pattern.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

If he did that then everyone would destroy him for such a terrible contract.

But I'm hoping he can still address this with a trade or two.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote:Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

Eriksson and Lucic end up with the same AAV, but Lucic is signed for an extra year.

Lucic is 3 years younger, and even when his speed and scoring touch start to diminish he will still bring something to the ice because of his size, strength, and asshole factor.

Eriksson will be a guy that we are paying $6M for 40 points by the time his contract is at the halfway mark. He isn't a physical player or a net presence.

I would take Lucic at $6M until he is 34 years old over Eriksson at the same price until he is 37.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I probably would as well Mëds but he didn't want to play here, same with Andrew Ladd.

I don't mind Eriksson, he's a good player and a solid two way guy. Sure the term all of the top line guys got is a bit long, but that's what it takes to land a big fish on July 1. A Brouwer or a Mcginn on top of Loui would have been a good day for Ignitowski.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:So Elmer agrees with me that team needs more sandpaper up front. There's one guy in Virtanen up front that throws his weight around. Skyo and dude must be pissed.

He practically quoted you Blob!!

Seriously though he emphasized several times that they still wanted to add a skilled guy that can play with sandpaper and grit. (not John Scott :mrgreen: )

I really had the sense he's been working the phones on this one and he's hit the pause button in FA in a holding pattern.
I got the same feeling, that he has something on the front burner and it's close but not there quite yet. Still some work to do, because as is I think the Flames and Oilers improved just as much as we did so far, while the Kings, Sharks and Ducks are just much better. Will be difficult to make the playoffs as is.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I probably would as well Mëds but he didn't want to play here, same with Andrew Ladd.

I don't mind Eriksson, he's a good player and a solid two way guy. Sure the term all of the top line guys got is a bit long, but that's what it takes to land a big fish on July 1. A Brouwer or a Mcginn on top of Loui would have been a good day for Ignitowski.
Yeah. I'm not for a second faulting Benning for not getting Ladd or Lucic. If a player doesn't want to come then it is what it is.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning presser today:

* reiterated that they are working the trade front but that may not shake out until FA settles. Also said they are in touch with a few FA still but they too need to let things settle. Got the feeling there is a player or two he could go after but that something else is at the forefront on the trade front. So if he can swing a trade no more FA but if the trade doesn't pan out he has options still in FA.

* reiterated a few times that the guy they want to bring in will be a skilled forward that plays with grit, could be high end depending on how our roster shakes out or lower tier if we are tight to it, cap and roster. Really sounds like he has something being discussed on the trade front but nothing concrete or imminent.
Evander Kane?? :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow wrote:
* he really likes how are D has shaped up so the focus remains on the forwards. Did not look at other D in FA in a serious way. Once they got Gudbranson they decided to not re-sign Hamhuis and not push for D in FA.
Travis Yost was full of it when he said the Canucks made a $25m offer to Russell. :mad:
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Benning presser..

* asked if he had plans to add anyone else. Said yes. Said they have been trying to make trade(s) for the past 2-3 weeks to clear cap/roster spots but nothing so far that makes sense. Said if he had a crystal ball he would imagine that we acquire a skilled forward that plays with grit via trade. Sounded like he was telling us something without telling us.

I could see a trade of Gaunce & Sbisa for Landeskog... a gritty winger who can score...
Grenier played for Roy in Junior or Hansen could be added if they don't like Gaunce.. they don't have many defenseman signed so Sbisa would fit.. or a Tanev for Landeskog straight up
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:With Larsen now signed our D is full. Maybe not good, but full. Trymakin the only one who doesn't need to clear waivers. Pedan likely to get done too.

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson
Hutton
Trymakin
Sbisa
Larsen
Biega
Pedan

Looks like, barring a trade, we will carry 8 D and waive someone.

This means limiting the number of forwards, where we are already at, or over the max, with few options to send players to Utica. I don't like not having roster flexibility. The downside of trading for players further along in the development curve.

Sedin
Sedin
Eriksson
Burrows
Horvat
Baertschi
Virtanen
Sutter
Hansen
Granlund
Etem
Dorsett
Rodin
Gaunce
Grenier
At this point Biega + Grenier get waived down to Utica... if a team claims them, no problemo.

Benning has 3 months to trade a forward or two.

3 months Wids! :thumbs:

Way too soon to worry about "roster flexibility" there Sugar 'n Spice. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Benning presser today:

* reiterated that they are working the trade front but that may not shake out until FA settles. Also said they are in touch with a few FA still but they too need to let things settle. Got the feeling there is a player or two he could go after but that something else is at the forefront on the trade front. So if he can swing a trade no more FA but if the trade doesn't pan out he has options still in FA.

* reiterated a few times that the guy they want to bring in will be a skilled forward that plays with grit, could be high end depending on how our roster shakes out or lower tier if we are tight to it, cap and roster. Really sounds like he has something being discussed on the trade front but nothing concrete or imminent.
Evander Kane?? :mrgreen:
I could've sworn I heard Benning say "Evander Kane"! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Evander Kane works too, Landeskog just fits the character of the team better..
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

TDA Rum wrote:Evander Kane works too, Landeskog just fits the character of the team better..
Agreed, but Evander may be had on the cheap right now.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Landeskog would cost a hell of a lot more than Gaunce/Grenier & Sbisa.

But Buffalo might be so desperate that they would take those two for Evander Kane and a track suit. Of course Jim would have to throw in a 5th to sweeten the deal :mrgreen:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Hank wrote:Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

Eriksson and Lucic end up with the same AAV, but Lucic is signed for an extra year.

Lucic is 3 years younger, and even when his speed and scoring touch start to diminish he will still bring something to the ice because of his size, strength, and asshole factor.

Eriksson will be a guy that we are paying $6M for 40 points by the time his contract is at the halfway mark. He isn't a physical player or a net presence.

I would take Lucic at $6M until he is 34 years old over Eriksson at the same price until he is 37.
That would be Lucic til he's 34... Eriksson til he's 36 (7-yr contract vs 6-yr contract).

But in actuality it will be Eriksson til he's 34.

Allow me to explain...

Eriksson's contract is structured in such a way that if he's traded exactly 4 years from today

... only $1M in real dollars will be due him for 2020-21, and $4M for 2021-22... with a $6M cap-hit both years.

(traded after his $3M "signing bonus" on July 1, 2020)

Meaning he's likely extremely attractive to a team trying to reach the cap-floor.

Trust me this is a modern-day cap-circumvention contract!

One way or another (retirement in 2020 after receiving $31M of this $36M contract?)

... Loui is gone after 4 years.

Yeah, y'might say we're paying this guy $8M-per with a $6M-per cap-hit... for only 4 years.

Benning IS a genius! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.