2016 Conference Finals

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 Conference Finals

Post by SKYO »

micky107 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
micky107 wrote:If going the Stamkos route, the Sedins should be asked to waive and try to move them while they still have life!
It's just business.
Except that the Sedins with Stamkos could actually make a legitimate 1st unit PP threat!

We're fine with the twins and Stamkos on the books until the their current deals expire, then we have Bo, Tramkin, and Hutton to re-up. So Hank and Dank take a discount and play second fiddle to Stammer and the rest of the top line!
The way I look at it, why wait?
We are VERY attached to them and that is clear all round this town but we are rebuilding and in all fairness to them, if a hockey deal could be made for them to go to a contender, whether it be together or not, and we get a piece, high draft, or something younger that helps our team now, isn't that just another part of due diligence?
I'm not saying do it just to make change. Just explore all options, leave no stone unturned, that's all...
Well mick if you ever wanted a Stanley Cup here, having the Sedins here is probably the best bet at that, all they need is a legitimate 2nd scoring line and some gunners on defense.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I see a St.Louis vs. Pittsburgh final, myself. San Jose are perennial chokers in the post season and St. Louis is just too well coached and too deep on D to let it slip by. Regardless of what happens in the West I see the winner of the East taking it home. Too long of series in the West and much more physically demanding. They will be tired.
Speaking of the blues.

Patience has paid off https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2 ... s-cox.html
The Blues have done the slow-and-steady thing, or their fans might say they’ve done the maddening, disappointment after disappointment thing. GM Doug Armstrong, who arrived two years after the Johnson selection, says it doesn’t feel like the journey to the 2016 Western Conference final against San Jose has been a particularly long and winding road.

“No, it doesn’t. When I came here we were just fighting for respect, trying to get the organization back to being one that opponents respected,” he recalled on Friday. “Sure, the last couple of playoffs were disappointing. But it’s hard to win in this league. As Bob Gainey used to say, you’ve just got to get to the playoffs, and keep getting there, and sooner or later things will fall your way.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
micky107 wrote:If going the Stamkos route, the Sedins should be asked to waive and try to move them while they still have life!
It's just business.
Except that the Sedins with Stamkos could actually make a legitimate 1st unit PP threat!

We're fine with the twins and Stamkos on the books until the their current deals expire, then we have Bo, Tramkin, and Hutton to re-up. So Hank and Dank take a discount and play second fiddle to Stammer and the rest of the top line!
The way I look at it, why wait?
We are VERY attached to them and that is clear all round this town but we are rebuilding and in all fairness to them, if a hockey deal could be made for them to go to a contender, whether it be together or not, and we get a piece, high draft, or something younger that helps our team now, isn't that just another part of due diligence?
I'm not saying do it just to make change. Just explore all options, leave no stone unturned, that's all...
Well mick if you ever wanted a Stanley Cup here, having the Sedins here is probably the best bet at that, all they need is a legitimate 2nd scoring line and some gunners on defense.
Your dreaming, it's too late for what you suggest. I could agree if they were 32 but they're not..
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote:
micky107 wrote: The way I look at it, why wait?
I can see Mick's point - but seriously, they aren't going anywhere. I'm sure when they re-up, they'll have a NMC or at the very least, a no-split clause.

Syko is somewhat right... at this point what we need is a new 1st line so the Sedins can be a very productive 2nd line. They wouldn't be facing the other team's best, and would take some pressure off what would be our young first line.

All this team needs is a new first line and top pair D. Shouldn't be that hard, right? ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Without subtracting anything (other than a few bad contracts) or going over the cap. :twisted:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think you guys forget how atrocious this team is WITHOUT the Sedins, they're basically an entire 1st line with 1st line production when healthy, see that's the thing, being healthy, but every team with vets has that situation, all you need is them being in good condition for a good playoff run, like what the Cup champs say - being fortunate having your key players relatively injury free after it's all said and done.

Hence for having a fresh & healthy Sedins/top players for the long season, it's crucial WD has a structured timed shift for every game, got to whip those timed shifts in from Sept/October onwards, why Scotty Bowman is infamous using a stop watch/blow horn.

tidbits.
Because injuries could become a factor, Bowman stressed the importance of organizational depth in approaching the condensed season.

"The teams that have guys playing on their farm teams who can come up and play on the fourth line at the N.H.L. level will have an advantage," Bowman said. His club was spared injury problems in '95, and he says he expects teams to use four offensive lines as often as possible rather than three, to keep the forwards fresh.

In 1995, Bowman made sure his Red Wings took quicker shifts by drilling them on one of the game's subtleties, changing on the fly.

"Lots of teams change at the wrong time," he said. "Especially early in a short season, you want your team well-disciplined on how to change, where to put the puck and not taking long shifts."

Bowman, now an adviser with the Chicago Blackhawks, said his team worked on line changes during intrasquad scrimmages.

"People laughed at it, but I had a football horn and a stopwatch," he said. "I didn't want them to change when I blew the horn, but if I'd blow the horn once, I'm telling the white team they should be thinking about getting a change. I figured after they had a good 30 to 40 seconds, they've got to know that the next opportunity you have to put the puck in the right place, so we can get at least two or three guys off."

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-3 ... ned-season
Anyways we all imagined having two wicked scoring lines here and having the dominant Sedins line and then next shift the Stamkos line, then Horvat, shit would be ridiculously hard to stop, especially if we add a Tyson Barrie to the arsenal, be dumb crazy entertaining as hell to watch.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Skyo into the rock again. Stamkos won't sign here period. If Ignitowski trades the fifth pick for Barrie he should be fired immediately. Slow and steady amigo. This thing will take some time to rebuild with all of the blunders from current management and past.

Sign one or both of Brouwer and Mcginn or Demers...... Only problem there is that they may have a protection issue with expansion. Fuck it expose Sutter the scrawny rake. Improve slowly don't jump out of your shoes to speed this shit up. I like Milan but he will want too much scratch. Stamkos sucking ten million annually from this payroll is frightening
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lucic or Stamkos would make this rebuild a helluva lot quicker.

S&G

Sedins Hansen
Lucic Sutter McCann (C/W)
Baertschi Horvat Etem
Gaunce Granlund Dorsett
Virtanen(AHL) got to earn his way back, Grenier Rodin

Edler Barrie :mrgreen:
Hutton Tanev
Stecher Tryamkin
Pedan Biega

Miller
Markstrom
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fucking Jones needs to make that save. The dude could have stopped that wearing old mattresses for pads with Arachnid shooting. Or sorry someone good .....like say Hockey Widow .

Make the save!!

This series should be fun to watch. Either way I cheer for the winner of the west in the finals.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Blues were lucky the ref gave Elliot a quick whistle when he clearly didn't have the puck covered. Ward should have scored the goal to tie it up.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's hard to root for the Sharks but even though he makes mistakes, can't help admiring how Burns just plain brings it... :sly:
"evolution"
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fucking Jones needs to make that save. The dude could have stopped that wearing old mattresses for pads with Arachnid shooting. Or sorry someone good .....like say Hockey Widow .

Make the save!!

This series should be fun to watch. Either way I cheer for the winner of the west in the finals.
Funny you should mention that. In my game last week this big idjit took me out pretty good while I was trying to go around him to the net on the right wing (my offside). I went down hard but was feel'n fine. Didn't take long before he got his just reward when he tried to go behind our net and out front, he just didn't make it. The Net became apart of him. :D

Hockey Widow could play on my team anyway. She ain't a message board/locker room cancer. :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

SKYO wrote:Lucic or Stamkos would make this rebuild a helluva lot quicker.

S&G

Sedins Hansen
Lucic Sutter McCann (C/W)
Baertschi Horvat Etem
Gaunce Granlund Dorsett
Virtanen(AHL) got to earn his way back, Grenier Rodin

Edler Barrie :mrgreen:
Hutton Tanev
Stecher Tryamkin
Pedan Biega

Miller
Markstrom
Lucic AND Stamkos

Lucic - Stamkos - Hansen
Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Baertschi - Horvat - Etem
Gaunce- Granlund - Dorsett
Rodin

Virtanen and McCann to Utica for the year, 1st in line for call ups when the injury bug hits.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol what happened to Higgins and the biter and their salaries?

I shudder to think what that d would look like.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Drouin with another goal. No way he gets traded now. Too bad.
The only HW the Canucks need