Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by BladesofSteel »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Rodin was a player Benning said they wanted to get signed. I imagine it will be a 1-2 year deal. Have no idea how he will fit in but will be interesting to see both he and Larson at camp.
Benning is going to have a lot of players on cheap deals, no doubt in my mind he'll throw big bucks at a big fish.

Or two.

And that's a good thing. :mex:
Who, in your opinion, do you think he might target?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Rodin was a player Benning said they wanted to get signed. I imagine it will be a 1-2 year deal. Have no idea how he will fit in but will be interesting to see both he and Larson at camp.
I figure Canucks will have those two and a few other young players on $1M one-year one-way contracts.

See what shakes down in camp and waive the ones that don't make the cut.

If they don't make the cut... and don't get claimed... they can work on their game in the A and provide depth.

Benning is going to have a lot of players on cheap deals, no doubt in my mind he'll throw big bucks at a big fish.

Or two.

And that's a good thing. :mex:
Let's see if he snags a player or two out of college along the same lines as you suggest.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob: 81/82 & 82/83. Could have gone to Holland as recently as 2004 at 44 years old but doin the single Dad thing ;)
"evolution"
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Dank called out the team for their piss poor performance. Called last nights effort embarrassing. Said several players did not compete, and they know who they are.

Now, most of our vets were out. Wonder who he was talking about?
That is a damning statement to make. And, if it was guys like Etem, Vey, Grenier, then training camp has a lot of holes. If it's Burr and Dorsey....damn, our vets quit. If it's Hutton and Bo, our future isn't so bright if it's a real trend.
Daniel is frustrated and just blew off steam; personally I don't think it's necessary to analyze what he said too much. I'm sure that all the players want to win and they all want jobs next year. Yes it is a tough environment when you're losing, but they all have a lot to play for. The problem is obvious: the Canucks are weak and can't score and it's because our talent does not measure up at this point. Daniel cannot say that "there are some guys who are not good enough", so he says the only thing he can say; "we need to compete better".
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:HW, any info on what's behind Melanson's probable departure this summer?

Seems like we've had a pretty good run with goalies over the past half-decade or so, I don't know why we'd make that change. Cloutier getting a promotion?

His contract is up and for personal reasons he will be leaving. Canucks wanted him back but he has decided to move on. Strictly a personal decision. Don't know where he is going or what he will be doing.

Heard Auld may get an interview. Cloutier likes Utica and doesn't want to leave at this point.
I live in NY and have been to Utica many times. They invented the word 'depression' after staying there overnight. Cloutier must have lost his marbles or has a habit only Utica can satisfy. Van versus Utica? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Hockey Widow wrote:Is Boeser thinking of turning pro. A little impatience?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/03/1 ... s-out-und/

As a matter of interest, Toews played two years of college and then turned pro.

This could be an interesting off season if Boeser wants to turn pro and Benning wants him to go back to college one more year. Maybe he is ready for Utica. But I think Benning wins this debate.
Excellent Wids. We may have a stud here.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Boeser may actually have a better all round game than Toews did. Keep watching the streams and it sure looks real good. If he were to turn pro and be in Utica next year, he'd be able to get use to a more rigorous travel regime if that works out well, could see him maybe next February. Fingers crossed>
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Dank called out the team for their piss poor performance. Called last nights effort embarrassing. Said several players did not compete, and they know who they are.

Now, most of our vets were out. Wonder who he was talking about?
That is a damning statement to make. And, if it was guys like Etem, Vey, Grenier, then training camp has a lot of holes. If it's Burr and Dorsey....damn, our vets quit. If it's Hutton and Bo, our future isn't so bright if it's a real trend.

Sounds like Vey and McCann may have been two of the players. McCann commented on it and said Dank was just trying to be a leader and wanted to inspire players to finish checks blah blah blah. With what he said I get the sense he may have been one of the players, which makes sense because he has been a perimeter player for a while now. He really needs a year or two in Utica to build up his strength and play top six minutes at the pro level.

Interesting when WD was asked how he liked the two Russians, having 8 hits between them. His response was well,mthey need a lot more than that to be effective, or words to that effect. He quickly added he liked their game, work in progress etc.....

Both twins talked about the attitude in the dressing room, regardless of the standings, had to be to play hard every shift and go out with the mentality to win every game. Perhaps they are just generalize a malaise that has fallen over the locker room.

It does stress the importance of having the right combination of vets. Vrbata highlighted that this year with his sulking. Prust with his complaining about playing. Perhaps we miss a Bieksa type in the locker room.
I miss the 2014/15 Kenins. Not enough skill, but he played hard every night.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

damonberryman wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Is Boeser thinking of turning pro. A little impatience?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/03/1 ... s-out-und/

As a matter of interest, Toews played two years of college and then turned pro.

This could be an interesting off season if Boeser wants to turn pro and Benning wants him to go back to college one more year. Maybe he is ready for Utica. But I think Benning wins this debate.
Excellent Wids. We may have a stud here.
I can't imagine Benning insisting Boeser needs to stay in college. I think many expected Boeser's play/production to fall off as the season wore on, but he's done the opposite.

Next year McCann, Virtanen and Boeser could all be on the farm and re-called without waivers, which gives the team a lot of flexibility that's been lacking the past two seasons. I guess the last top prospect that was doing time on the farm was...Schroeder? Maybe Shinkaruk?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ, Benning has said several times he will talk with the Boeser camp once this college season is done. But, he has also said he feels he is better served to stay in college at least for one more year and his preference will be that. Believes he is in a top developmental program and given his play this year, he will be given the opportunity to be a go to guy, leadership role, PP, PK, top line sort of thing. Believes that his second year can be a major developmental year.

But he added, he does need to talk to Boeser and see where his head is at.

I also got the sense that because Benning likes the developmental program where he is he isn't in a hurry this year to get the ELC done. It sounds like a choice of staying one more year to develop in college or one year development in Utica but not in the plans to be on the Canucks right away.

But I agree if Boeser is intent on turning pro and says he wants to sign his ELC and get his pro career started then ya, Benning will do his best to encourage him to stay in college but in the end he will get him signed.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

NEWS
Canucks sign Anton Rodin
Tuesday, 22.03.2016 / 5:17 PM Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed Right Wing Anton Rodin to a one-year, one-way contract.

Rodin, 25, played for Brynas IF Gavle in 2015-16 recording 37 points (16-21-37) and 18 penalty minutes. The 5’11”, 181-pound right winger was also awarded the Gold Helmet Award of the Swedish Hockey League as the League’s Most Valuable Player. Prior to playing in the Swedish Hockey League, Rodin played two seasons in the AHL (2011-13) with the Chicago Wolves, collecting 41 points (14-27-41) in 111 games.

On the international stage, Rodin won a bronze medal with Sweden at the 2010 World Junior Championships. He collected 10 points (3-7-10) in six games, ranking tied for seventh in tournament scoring.

A native of Stockholm, Sweden Rodin was selected in the second round, 53rd overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Good news in that it takes up a roster spot and hopefully means the Canucks had/have no intention of going after Ericksson as a FA :mrgreen:

Will be interesting to see him at camp.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

With Rodin here gotta think besides vrbata and higgins - maybe burrows plus even etem or hansen could be available?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hansen is worth keeping because of his versatility, Burrows costs too much and will always have that referee's gold star right on his forehead :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:Hansen is worth keeping because of his versatility, Burrows costs too much and will always have that referee's gold star right on his forehead :mrgreen:

As someone else pointed out, sorry I can't recall who, Hansen has trade value, Burrows not so much. Trade Hansen as his value is at a peak. Keep Burrows to play out his contract and add a valuable veteran presence.