Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Cornuck »

micky107 wrote:If you say so but I don't think you get what I meant.
micky107 wrote:What the hell is he teaching?
Not much, me thinks.
Minor league coach. Minor league results.
Did you mean to say that Willie is a shitty coach? That's what I read.

You're entitled to say and think what you want - I don't really care. But I'm just saying that if the general consensus is that the kids are progressing along to become NHL players (at a rate we're never seen as Canucks fans before), then maybe, just maybe... our coach knows what he's doing.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah I got a few problems with Desjardins but the guy is great at bringing along young players. You can't play these kids 20 minutes a game at this stage of their careers.

As an asside how did the 2 Russians look last night ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:Sure Vey sees a lot of ice, but in the grand scheme of things, the kids are coming along just fine.
and Vey is one of those kids coming along nicely.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I'm saying now is the best time of year to push guys like Jake and Jared.
Knuckle rapping and pine sitting for a bad pass or a missed assignment is best suited for pre-season or early in the year.
Minor league means farm team and that's not what he's coaching now.
Maybe I went overboard a bit but his recent actions just don't seem right for the situation at hand.
Note; Bo Horvath said his Dad told him to put on some muscle, get faster, use his shot more and to not be afraid to go for it.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vey is a bit older and I'm not knocking his skill as much as his grit.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

micky - I do agree with you to some extent but I think Topper pointed out not every night should the youngsters play 20 minutes. We have to remember that these kids just turned 19 and are still not fully matured and need more time to fill out and bulk up.

Vey - that part I question and I hope so does Benning in the off season, I know coaches have a say of who is on the team but it does not mean that you have to get so many guys who played for WD in the past.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Vey, Etem , Baertschi line was our best line last night, on a consistent basis. I've been a Vey bashed but he has played decent hockey since his recall.

McCann looks like he has faded. He wasn't ready for the rigours of the NHL and the plan with him was scheduled days off for off ice condionting and appropriate recovery days.mwith all the injuries they haven't been able to do that.

The same plan was in place for Virtanen and for the same reasons they have had to play him every game. He has faired better than McCann in holding up to the rigours of the game.

The plan was to find Hutton some rest days too. Injuries nixed that.

WD and company wanted to bring those three along a little slowe, allow them to adjust to the pro game and adapt at a more comfortable pace.

Vey has been playing the pro game for a while now and is more able to play more minutes. I'd be screaming if Vey looked like he did last year but he is looking more ready. Barring us drafting a top centre of signing one as a FA I'm all for sending McCann to Utica next year and keeping Vey on another one year deal. WD has got this one right, this time.

The two Russians were ok. Nothing great. Pedan did not look as comfortable as his first call up but he did look more NHL ready to me. Of course it was only Tryamkin's first game. Of note they were both playing the RH side as LH shots. We really do need another RH D, or two. Trymakin needs to work on his pivots and turns. He needs to get his positioning down better on the smaller ice. He showed a good first pass and wasn't afraid to ring it around the boards to just clear the puck. Had a couple of nice hits and a few good pokes with his stick. I think both will be NHL players but whether they get past the 5-6 role is way to early to say. Pedan looks to be a smoother skater and can carry the puck out of the zone. Tryamkin looked like an awkward skater and fortunately didn't try to carry the puck out. I will judge him more at season's end, after he has a dozen games.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ya, Vey is playing better right now, agreed but without a bit more meanness, there are guys around that will eat him up.
I'm not saying he should drop-em, just don't turn away from on ice controversy.
o.k. I'm done. I'm the bad guy today, that's o.k.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

HW, what I liked from The Tram was a big lefty one-timer that hit the net and lead to the goal.

Although Henrik continues to make the art of goal-scoring into something un-beautiful with his baby giraffe imitation.

Future Chara-like bomb from the point? :)
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote:HW, what I liked from The Tram was a big lefty one-timer that hit the net and lead to the goal.

Although Henrik continues to make the art of goal-scoring into something un-beautiful with his baby giraffe imitation.

Maybe he can give Edler some lessons there.....
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Mëds wrote:
Hank wrote:HW, what I liked from The Tram was a big lefty one-timer that hit the net and lead to the goal.

Maybe he can give Edler some lessons there.....
By the time The Freak is ready, Edler will probably be long gone... and you can get off your Mëds :lol:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We're seeing the second stage of the transition. The character veteran placeholders are moving on and being phased out. A couple of the young draftees are finding their way, but for the most part it is the the reclamation project early twenty year olds who were brought in to fill an age gap in the prospect pool that are forcing out the short term vets.

Guys like Vey, Bearcheese, Etem, Granlund have pushed aside Higgins, Prust and make it more difficult to dress Burrows while, injuries aside, would give the younger kids some rest days.

Who knows if these reclamation projects will stick around. While Vey is greatly improved, he's still muscled out too often. Bearcheese too is still pushed off the puck. Etem too often plays like a rookie.

Some of these guys may still develop, others may be role players or the latest placeholders, but this youth movement is the next phase of the transition.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: This year the opportunity is there to have your future main stays to be going head to head with teams where every point matters.
Hate to say it but Babcock is doing it in TO and it's not bad to watch.
Just thought I'd interject a little perspective...

NUMBER OF LEAVES FORWARDS THIS SEASON UNDER AGE 25 WHO HAVE PLAYED 200+ MINUTES:

NUMBER OF CANUCKS FORWARDS THIS SEASON UNDER AGE 25 WHO HAVE PLAYED 200+ MINUTES:

Etem (373:57)
Virtanen (496:37)
Vey (534:45)
McCann (732:09)
Baertschi (812:38)
Horvat (1178:15)

I realize you're not arguing otherwise... just thought I'd add a certain perspective. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote: This year the opportunity is there to have your future main stays to be going head to head with teams where every point matters.
The Leaves are rebuilding through the draft and have 12 picks in the 2016 draft, and 8 in 2017. They had 5 top-90 picks last year. They have traded away their big contracts, and acquired Pittsburgh's 2014 1st round pick Kasperi Kappanen.

The Canucks are "transitioning while remaining competitive' and have 7 picks in the 2016 draft, and 5 in 2017. They had 3 top-90 picks last year. They traded away one of their 2013 first rounders and one of their most promising offensive prospects, for a more "NHL-ready" 2011 2nd rounder.

The big difference between the Maple leaves and the Canucks it that the leaves know they suck. Toronto brought in a pile of mediocre UFA's as real placeholders while the kids stayed under the radar and out of the pressure cooker in the minors. Once the deadline was over, kids come up and get their 20+ games in to prep for next year.

Another dose of perspective, the leaves, with all their aggressive tanking, have won 3 fewer games than us. They also have more cap space heading into UFA season.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
The Leaves are rebuilding through the draft and have 12 picks in the 2016 draft, and 8 in 2017. They had 5 top-90 picks last year. They have traded away their big contracts, and acquired Pittsburgh's 2014 1st round pick Kasperi Kappanen.

The Canucks are "transitioning while remaining competitive' and have 7 picks in the 2016 draft, and 5 in 2017. They had 3 top-90 picks last year. They traded away one of their 2013 first rounders and one of their most promising offensive prospects, for a more "NHL-ready" 2011 2nd rounder.

The big difference between the Maple leaves and the Canucks it that the leaves know they suck. Toronto brought in a pile of mediocre UFA's as real placeholders while the kids stayed under the radar and out of the pressure cooker in the minors. Once the deadline was over, kids come up and get their 20+ games in to prep for next year.

Another dose of perspective, the leaves, with all their aggressive tanking, have won 3 fewer games than us. They also have more cap space heading into UFA season.
Pffft wotta loada....

Tarrana....sells out seats to suits no matter how bad they are

Vanhover....fickle fans go boating instead of watching

That's the only difference.
Last edited by Arachnid on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)