Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by griz »

the toucan kid wrote:I'm amazed that the argument, as it always is in pathetic retrograde hockey culture, is that what has been should not be corrected henceforth.

One is a hockey play, part of the game, the other is not. Find me the rule in that dusty 1976 NHL rule book that says "players are permitted to mock one and other in order to gain a psychological advantage during the game, up to and including incidents of personal trauma, race, and attacks on spouses and offspring."
What about verbal attacks on bisexual unicorns who worship floors? You forgot that one. Where do you draw the line? How large would your rule book be? I wouldn't want to live in the world you are promoting. Laws/rules change over time and they change from country to country. Why can't we just let the fact that a small percentage of us say things from time to time that offend people and get on with our lives? Rather you seem to want more laws, more punishment. What about more tolerance?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

griz wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:I'm amazed that the argument, as it always is in pathetic retrograde hockey culture, is that what has been should not be corrected henceforth.

One is a hockey play, part of the game, the other is not. Find me the rule in that dusty 1976 NHL rule book that says "players are permitted to mock one and other in order to gain a psychological advantage during the game, up to and including incidents of personal trauma, race, and attacks on spouses and offspring."
What about verbal attacks on bisexual unicorns who worship floors? You forgot that one. Where do you draw the line? How large would your rule book be? I wouldn't want to live in the world you are promoting. Laws/rules change over time and they change from country to country. Why can't we just let the fact that a small percentage of us say things from time to time that offend people and get on with our lives? Rather you seem to want more laws, more punishment. What about more tolerance?
Take him out griz...... :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

the toucan kid wrote: Burrows clearly hasn't stopped doing it, Tootoo being a matter of months rather than years in the past, so I'm sure we will eventually have to confront this regardless.
Ummm... what exactly did Mr Burrows say to Mr Tootoo?

Oh that's right... YOU. DON'T. KNOW. Image

Well the NHL knows exactly what Mr Burrows said to Mr Tootoo and the NHL deemed it a non-issue....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

griz wrote:

What about verbal attacks on bisexual unicorns who worship floors? You forgot that one. Where do you draw the line? How large would your rule book be? I wouldn't want to live in the world you are promoting.
The irony here is that in "the world Toucan is promoting"

... Toucan would be sent to the Gulag for defamation in regards to Mr Burrows Re: Mr Tootoo. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Hey Doc, I guess a lot of us should be suspended from here for a week or so for shit we said back at the old site that is considered too far offside here?
Yeah.

:blush:

I'd hafta give myself a lifetime ban for the things I said as a mod in that other galaxy long ago and far away!!

Those were the days, the piano player would go right back at 'er as soon as the (gun)smoke cleared. :wink:

BTW nice job summing up The Code + The Irony in regards to Tootoo/O’Sullivan.

I would add:

- Tootoo was looking to escape the auto-10-game-suspension (it worked!).

- O’Sullivan was looking to sell a book.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

O'Sullivan looks worse in this than Burrows does. Hats off to Burrows for owning this but thumbs way the fuck down to Sullivan for bringing this up.

If any of you have ever played competitive sports, trash talking of the worst kind is the norm. It's just how it is. Suck it up buttercups. The day it stops due to political correctedness the more artificial the competitive nature of sports becomes.

Lost a ton of respect for O'Sullivan over this
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

griz wrote: What about verbal attacks on bisexual unicorns who worship floors?
Yeah! What about us? !!!!! ?

I can't believe we're even talking about this. Personally, I don't even think that O'Sullivan wanted this kind of reaction and he didn't know it would have spiraled like this. Sure, he jumped on the Tootoo train (see what I did there :? ) but I really don't believe he knew just how damn sensitive the media and people were about it.

It's bullshit that any NHL player has to apologize publicly for something that was said on the ice. Absolute bullshit.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Listening to Stewart Mclean and the Vinyl Café talk about complaints he's had from some listeners because he made it sound like he was abusing turkeys in his older stories makes me wonder if one of my favorite shows growing up, All in the Family, might have to offer an apology for how insensitive they were back in the 70's....

I understand the likes of Burrows because like him when I played competitive sport which was rugby I became a different person when I walked onto the pitch and afterwards when the game was over I was often upset at myself for some of my win at all cost play....

But I couldn't help myself because the need to win justified anything I did during the games....

Knowing what we know today the Burrows comments are way off base and the anger towards them I think is justified, but knowing what we did when they were made is a different matter and doesn't warrant the criticism Burrows is receiving....

I get both sides of the argument, but side with Burrows and feel that his apology was sincere ...

Take care...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I like Burrows more than I did before...

...and Tie Domi for that matter. Curious though, how can he only skull fuck her into a coma? Don't you need to scoop out the eye?
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mr.Miyagi wrote: he jumped on the Tootoo train (see what I did there :? )
I laughed.

Seriously!

("Tootoo twain" would have been better)

But then apparently I find Jeff Dunham funny. :(

Merry Christmas Miyagi!! :santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: ...and Tie Domi for that matter. Curious though, how can he only skull fuck her into a coma? Don't you need to scoop out the eye?
What kind of a sick demented mind could even ever conceive of such a concept?!! :evil:

Mind you, it would make a great on-ice chirp...

Merry Christmas Uncle Dan!! :santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I question whether the really nasty trash talk is any more effective than something more clever or subtle. Line play in football allows for a comment to be made on every play. It can be as simple as "you can run that play all day and I'll be waiting here to crush it", but it wouldn't surprise me if hockey trash talk is the most appalling of all the major sports. The NHL seems to be good at these sorts of extremes. Touc's comment about kids hearing this stuff is noteworthy.

However, isn't there a point where a comment is so disgusting that you'd just laugh?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Puck wrote: However, isn't there a point where a comment is so disgusting that you'd just laugh?
I dunno... did you laugh at Dan's comment ^

Merry Christmas Puck!! :santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

griz wrote:
That is internally contradictory twaddle man. There has never been any rule in favour of this behaviour. You can talk about internal codes all you want, but if you want to salute that flag, I have no time for you. Hockey culture is not something of which to be proud. What the NHL does have is a code of conduct which is unfortunately vague and open to convenient interpretation. They can pick and choose as public perception dictates... and really that is what they do.

You do live in the world I'm promoting. Every employer has workplace standards about how you can speak to colleagues and there's miles of precedent and pretty commonplace agreement on where the boundaries lie. If you were found to have made fun of a co-worker's past history of abuse you would be shitcanned promptly whether or not it happened yesterday or years in the past.

There has never been an explicit blessing given to on-ice insults and as such has never been allowed so much as ignored. That's why your arguments about taking account a change in values falls apart. It was never encourage. Again, find me the old rulebook that said this was a part of the game. There's no written precedent and therefore nothing to stop them from acting.
Listening to Stewart Mclean and the Vinyl Café talk about complaints he's had from some listeners because he made it sound like he was abusing turkeys in his older stories makes me wonder if one of my favorite shows growing up, All in the Family, might have to offer an apology for how insensitive they were back in the 70's....
Jesus Christ rikster... All In The Family was a satire about ignorance and prejudice.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

It's bullshit that any NHL player has to apologize publicly for something that was said on the ice. Absolute bullshit.
I love this! All is permissible so long as its between whistles eh? So goofy.