Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Hank wrote:So Marc Bergevin was addressing the media and basically said that players have to be professional & respectful, that they're lucky to be hockey players.

“I’m a firm believer in character, and that’s really a lack of character and judgment on his part”.

Old Zacky-boy with a broken nose, foot and looks to be out for a bit. On the short leash even before the regular season starts.

Maybe GMJB did do the best he could when he was forced to take on Prust's contract AND give up a 5th just to get something in return and be rid of this headache.

19 year old Jake Virtanen has already shown more skill, IQ and maturity on & off-ice than Kassian and Booth combined.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Wow, Kass wore an A that game. I know it's pre-season and all, but not bad for the new guy on the team. I couldn't see that ever happening here, especially under Uncle Willies. :P
Zack is wearing a scarlet letter now. If he was still here, he'd be waived.

LOL, forced to take Prust, no. They targeted Prust. They wanted a character 4th liner to help out Dorsett in his role. They wanted a player that would help stand up for teammates. To get him they had to throw in the 5th round pick. They could have waived Kassian had they just wanted to get rid of him. But to get Montreal to take a chance on him they had to give up that pick. But they weren't forced to take Prust, they wanted Prust. Benning was thinking a couple of things, one, protection for the younger players and two, playoff character guys who make it hard for teams to play us.
H-Dub, I know that. I was kinda joking there.

You do remember all the backlash here in the summer right?

OMG, we traded an emerging power forward Kassian for an aging knuckle-dragger like Prust?

That's bullshit Benning! What's Prust going to do for the development of our kids?

We need scoring, not an overpaid 4th line goon!

We're at the cap and we got the most expensive 4th line in the league!

etc. etc.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

OK :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hank wrote: H-Dub, I know that. I was kinda joking there.

You do remember all the backlash here in the summer right?

OMG, we traded an emerging power forward Kassian for an aging knuckle-dragger like Prust?

That's bullshit Benning! What's Prust going to do for the development of our kids?

We need scoring, not an overpaid 4th line goon!

We're at the cap and we got the most expensive 4th line in the league!

etc. etc.
It's still a terrible trade.

What this does is show that Kassian still hasn't taken the steps required to be a true professional and take his job seriously. Frankly, I'm kind of amazed more teams haven't done like the Kings and hired a "life coach" to be in the room with these guys, share their experiences and do their best to keep these guys on the straight and narrow. You'd think when you're investing $60-$70M in payroll that $100,000 for someone like that, which doesn't count against any salary cap, could go a long way to reducing these kind of situations.

Of course you'll never stop the Slava Voynov's of the world from beating up their spouse, but you should be able to hammer into some of these mid-20's rockstars that ripping around town with a couple girls at 6am after an evening of Christ-knows-what, following a trade when questions of character are raised... probably isn't the best thing for your career. Same goes for guys like Kane who seem to have trouble with the liquor... why put yourself in a position where this is even a possibility?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

IN I think the answer to that is that people like that often don't believe there is anything wrong with their behaviour. That type of help or assistance is for other guys, not them.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL IN, it's society's fault....... whaaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa

When the hell are these kids supposed to grow up?

First it's the Canucks fault because of the coaching changes Zach has been through, now it's the Hab's fault for not having a life coach. LOL

How many excuses are you going to make for the immature 24 year old diaper boy?

Time for the kid to grow up and so far tough love is getting tougher on him. Maybe he'll get enough weeks on for EI.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:IN I think the answer to that is that people like that often don't believe there is anything wrong with their behaviour. That type of help or assistance is for other guys, not them.
Oh for sure, and we don't have all the details about this situation, except that it's Kassian and Bergevin seems pissed, so it's likely not good.

And obviously there would be some guys that wouldn't take part or trust such a person or feel it necessary for whatever reason, I just don't get why you wouldn't have that resource available. You seem to have everything from the third-string equipment guy that places the stink-fan in the room to dry the gear post-game, admin assistants booking travel arrangements for the "father/mother trip" and backup video review assistant coaches... If one of these kind of advisors could stop even one or two of these incidents from happening you'd think it'd be worth it.

And as for Topper's nonsense, I imagine the Blackhawks are looking at one of these positions (if they haven't filled it already) for Mr. Frat-House. It's not solely about just expecting these guys to grow up (wouldn't that be a perfect world, 24-year old millionaires never had to work a real day in their lives). If one of your star players run into these kind of scenarios, now your season (and business) is in the shitter.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote:LOL IN, it's society's fault....... whaaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa

First it's the Canucks fault because of the coaching changes Zach has been through, now it's the Hab's fault for not having a life coach. LOL

Time for the kid to grow up and so far tough love is getting tougher on him. Maybe he'll get enough weeks on for EI.
Seems like a totally reasonable post by IN. It's a smart move to protect your investment when it involves minimal cost. In the end Kassian's behaviour is his own responsiblity.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

HW wrote:IN I think the answer to that is that people like that often don't believe there is anything wrong with their behaviour. That type of help or assistance is for other guys, not them.
Topper wrote:LOL IN, it's society's fault....... whaaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa, whaaaaaaaaaaa

Are the old folks jumping the gun a bit on this one?

So far all anyone knows is that he was the passenger in a motor vehicle accident and has a broken nose and a broken foot.

His teammates in Montreal are all saying very good things, Weise in particular going further by saying that all of the rumours and reports about Zack while he was in Vancouver were a completely untrue and that he has been a total professional around him in both places.

Does every passenger in a MVA need to "grow up"?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think all of that help is available to these guys. Teams have psychologists and life coaches, nutrition and dietary coaches etc etc. But you have to avail yourself of those resources. Outside of the team there are a plethora of private resources one can find. People used to make fun of Eric Lindros when he hired a male, personal assistant. But the guy did more that organize his household and pick up dry cleaning. He was his wing man as well as his moral conscious when Eric was out and about.

So help and guidance is readily available but a team can only do so much to protect a player from himself. Kassian had several run ins with the Canucks about his partying habits. Partying when on IR, partying the night before games, hung over at practices, etc. Here we have a guy, traded bcause the Canucks said enough. A guy that says he understands why he as traded and agreed that he didn't always do what he needed to, that comes off a game he played so so in, out drinking until 6am. Too drunk to drive so good for him he lets a drunk 20 year old woman drive his truck.

Maybe he is sad and lonely in a new city? Poor guy.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Sometimes it is not about drugs, alcohol or domestic violence. Sometimes it is just the person being their stupid self, and Kass is stupid. I agree with Topper on this one. I have been a counselor for over 25 years and some people are too dumb to get it. Quite a few actually. Maybe being a moron should be seen as a disease too. Then we can get rid of all or politicians and organized religion too.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think all of that help is available to these guys. Teams have psychologists and life coaches, nutrition and dietary coaches etc etc. But you have to avail yourself of those resources. Outside of the team there are a plethora of private resources one can find. People used to make fun of Eric Lindros when he hired a male, personal assistant. But the guy did more that organize his household and pick up dry cleaning. He was his wing man as well as his moral conscious when Eric was out and about.

So help and guidance is readily available but a team can only do so much to protect a player from himself. Kassian had several run ins with the Canucks about his partying habits. Partying when on IR, partying the night before games, hung over at practices, etc. Here we have a guy, traded bcause the Canucks said enough. A guy that says he understands why he as traded and agreed that he didn't always do what he needed to, that comes off a game he played so so in, out drinking until 6am. Too drunk to drive so good for him he lets a drunk 20 year old woman drive his truck.

You have a reliable source stating that Kassian was too drunk to drive his own vehicle? Or are you just guessing that this was the case, because why else would he let a 20 year old girl drive his big fancy Ford.....
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

While it doesn't involve Kassian (unless you believe the Dude's rumours), the NHL acknowledges the increasing use of cocaine amongst its players.
"The number of [cocaine] positives are more than they were in previous years and they're going up," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN in an interview.
The NHL and NHLPA aren't the only ones worried about a resurgence in cocaine use.

Last season, a senior Maple leaves team executive met with Toronto Police Service officers to address concerns that leaves players were purportedly using cocaine or were associating with those who were, according to two people familiar with the matter.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Zack has a terrible off ice reputation around the league. This goes all the way back to junior. The guy is a major cancer in the room. I've had conversations with a dude who Ryan kesler is an investor in his company and Kesler was moaning to this dude about Kassian, something along the lines of having the tools but wasting it away. Also heard from another good source that Zack likes his cocaine, not sure if it's a problem like it was for Dominic Mobilio but apparently Zack does it.
Rich guys in their 20's like to party? I'm shocked. That is pretty rich coming from a guy like Kesler, though.

Tough one for Kassian and I imagine there's more to this story than what the public knows. It's too bad he continues to slam the snooze on the alarm clock of life. All the tools, no tool box. Especially in this case, there's nobody to blame but the individual.
Don't confuse Kesler's "If you don't like what I have to say. if you don't like my arrogance and cockiness, if you don't like me demanding a trade" with being a complete trainwreck off the ice like your boi - Kassian. You don't have to like Kesler as a person, but the guy is an excellent pro on the ice and off the ice, which cannot be said about Zach.

I may be wrong IN but you don't seem to appreciate how a player carries themselves away from the ice. We may not see and hear a lot of things, but it holds a lot of water on how a player is away from the rink. Zack is unprofessional to the 9th degree. Always has been, always will be. Not a lot going on between the ears there with Zack and that in short what Kesler was saying to his business partner.

But why are we surprised, this has been Zack Kassian all the way back to the Windsor Spitfires. You can lead a horse to the river but you can't make horsey drink the water. Some people just never get it.

I think you should cut bait with your anger with Benning over the Kassian trade and come join the rest of us, it's a great place to be.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I think all of that help is available to these guys. Teams have psychologists and life coaches, nutrition and dietary coaches etc etc. But you have to avail yourself of those resources. Outside of the team there are a plethora of private resources one can find. People used to make fun of Eric Lindros when he hired a male, personal assistant. But the guy did more that organize his household and pick up dry cleaning. He was his wing man as well as his moral conscious when Eric was out and about.

You have a reliable source stating that Kassian was too drunk to drive his own vehicle? Or are you just guessing that this was the case, because why else would he let a 20 year old girl drive his big fancy Ford.....
Not sure about HW's source, I have a reliable source that Zack likes his mother [mod edit - let's hold back on the rumours that could harm the site]
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL, my post was less about the immature wannabe playboy and more about IN's never ending search for excuses.

Wow, how many coaches dog houses? How many management dog houses? Bergivan's comments after the deal, "there is a reason guys like him are available". It can only mean the Habs were already onto Zach's follies.....

......yet stil, IN say's its the Hab's fault for not having a life coach.

Who needs personal responsibility when your employer should hire a surrogate for your moral behaviour?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.