2015 - 2016 Vancover Canucks Training Camp Roster

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: 2015 - 2016 Vancover Canucks Training Camp Roster

Post by ESQ »

Rayxor wrote:
Mëds wrote: Jason King.

Worked out for a season and then he was replaced by Anson Carter the following year.
That's awfully generous of you. I'm not sure his prime time success even lasted 2 months.
I got it I got it - Magnus Arvedsen.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If this pre-season is like last, most of the vets won't travel, much. They will stay in Vancouver and practice, work on special teams, that sort of stuff. I imagine the travel games will see a sprinkle of vets, Utica players and youngsters. Perhaps we will see the opening day roster take shape in the last two pre-season games.

Glad they will get at least two games where they will end will 3-3 no matter the score.

Can't believe it all starts tomorrow. Hope the HD cameras are ready!
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Don't they also have split squad games in the beginning so you need a billion players available?
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Players with a ton of speed don't necessarily do well with the Sedins because the twins play a slower game. I can't think of a player with the combination of Virtanen's speed, shot, and physical game that has excelled with the Sedins.
You can be the fast and succeed with the twins -- especially about 5 years ago when the twins started creating on the rush (they've started to lose a step again). Burrows has had success with the twins off and on and until the hip (?) injury, was a fast skater.

The key is that once you are in the zone with the Twins, you have to know how to play a patient, hard-working game. Because once the Twins gain possession in the zone, the game is keep possession until the other team makes a mistake in coverage or wears down. Kassian was a bad fit with the Twins because he often tried to force plays before they were ready (losing possession) and wasn't the best at working without the puck. Burrows and Carter, were always working to gain position in the slot. Carter must have scored a half dozen goals his season on bank shots that went off his body.

Vrbata is the sniper, the shooter. He fit well, because he is a good overall player. But he scored goals the way he always scored goals; to be a fit with the twins, you figure out how to score goals the way *they* make plays. I am sure Vrbata got a few cross-ice, bad angle goals that he wouldn't have gotten but for the twins talent moving the play around. But get someone in there who can keep the puck, move to the middle, use body position, and have quick hands to score goals from 5 feet away or jump on rebounds. I think that's the twins' best fit.
Hono_rary Canadian
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I forgot that Utica opens in France this season so we should see a lot of cuts after the first two preseason games. Players heading to Utica have to be ready to leave for France pretty soon. I also imagine the Canucks have a pretty good idea of who the players are that they feel are seriously competing for jobs.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Any idea as to when the Comets fly out? I couldn't find anything in my half-assed effort to sear h.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

According to Carol Schram their Lyons preseason begins Sept 28th so imagine they need to fly out later this week, Friday- Saturday maybe. McCann and Virtanen will stay here since they are not eligible to play for Utica this season. I would guess players like Hutton, Subban, Biaga, and players like that will be cut.

Bubble players like Gaunce, maybe Cassels may make the cut here. I hank we will know for sure by Wednesday-Thursday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

From CDC:

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by 12 players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Anton Cederholm D
Dane Fox C
Evan McEneny D
Ashton Sautner D
Mackenze Stewart F
Jordan Subban D
The following players have been released and will attend the Utica Comets Training Camp:

Travis Ehrhardt D
John Kurtz LW
Clay Witt G
Mike Zalewski LW
The following players have been assigned to their junior club:

Guillaume Brisebois D Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL
Dmitry Zhukenov C Chicoutimi QMJHL
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Why is Virtanen ineligible for the AHL? He played there in the playoffs last season after all.....do the rules only apply to the regular season?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Hockey Widow wrote: ...
Jordan Subban D
---
That's a shame - although we knew he probably wouldn't make the team, I was looking forward to seeing Subban play in at least an exhibition game - would have been nice to see how he worked on the PP (carrying the puck out of his zone) and even 3 on 3.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Why France of all places? Do they even know what hockey is in France?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lyons is French cuisine Mecca.

Don't sign Wellwood.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Mëds wrote:Why is Virtanen ineligible for the AHL? He played there in the playoffs last season after all.....do the rules only apply to the regular season?
A player must have min 4 years of Junior, or be 20 years old to play in the AHL. Jake was only eligible to play last season once his WHL team was eliminated from the playoffs.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: ...
Jordan Subban D
---
That's a shame - although we knew he probably wouldn't make the team, I was looking forward to seeing Subban play in at least an exhibition game - would have been nice to see how he worked on the PP (carrying the puck out of his zone) and even 3 on 3.

From what I've heard, due to the fact Utica will be travelling to and from Fance they decided that players they knew up front would not be staying with the Canucks would be better served getting started with their training camp. I think they are all still in Vancouver and Green is holding a mini camp. They wanted to see the players that have impressed them play under stress and back to backs. As well bubble players like Fedun, Pedan, Grenier and Gaunce who they think are NHL ready and first injury call ups they wanted to see get game action.

So players like Hutton, Cassels and Shinkaruk imagine will get cut after the next game so they are ready to head out to France. I think Fedun and Pedan will get cut too. Perhaps with the Higgins injury Grenier and Gaunce will stay for the full pre-season. Since neither Virtanen or McCann can go to Utica I imagine they will stay awhile too.

They probably cut a few goalies after the next game as well.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Wellwood.
Sacrebleu!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.