Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by CorranHorn »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lmao not one forward over 200 pounds . Not one forward or defencemen :lol: that can actually be called a hard hitter and maybe three guys who can be considered fast skaters on the entire roster .The team gets older softer and shittier . Paddy I see you conveniently ignored my question on Sbisa , as well as what is your take on Ignitowski ? I think he's a fucking idiot .

Well done Reverend Jim in the last two days the team is older , slower , smaller and shittier . Oh and they are up against the cap . Oldest , smallest , softest and slowest team in the west .
lol, awesome. You gotta laugh, because if we actually thought this team might get better this summer it could be quite depressing.

Bo Horvat is now our biggest forward, and the Henrick Sedin (6'2) the tallest.

Alex Edler (215) our heaviest d-man and only player on the roster to hit 6'3.

Its not about getting better this summer tho IN. Its about stocking the shelves.

Adding a 4th line character player for ONE YEAR in exchange for a 5th round and an asset that can bring you back at least a 3rd is the EXACT opposite of what I thought this team was saying it wanted to do.

Is this what a "re-tool" is? Going in two directions at the same time, cuz that gets you nowhere.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

olpaddy wrote: How many teams has Zac Renaldo Played on in his young Career??? I know how many Kassian has played on... Cody Hodgson signed in Nashville for 1 yr 1 mil at 25 yrs of age, truth be told both guys have one foot out of the league door Which shows u what the rest of the world OUTSIDE OF VANCOUVER THINK OF BOTH...
It's about expectations. Kassian is already a bottom-6 guy that has shown flashes of ability to play in a top-6 role. The big question is his consistency and dedication. Who knows if he gets there, but he's already better at hockey than Zac Rinaldo. Come on, Kassian had more goals last year than Rinaldo has his entire career. Who's closer to leaving the league?
CorranHorn wrote:
Its not about getting better this summer tho IN. Its about stocking the shelves.
Oh I'm well aware, I'm just pointing out how "remaining competitive while transitioning to a new core" is not accomplished by this trade.
Adding a 4th line character player for ONE YEAR in exchange for a 5th round and an asset that can bring you back at least a 3rd is the EXACT opposite of what I thought this team was saying it wanted to do.

Is this what a "re-tool" is? Going in two directions at the same time, cuz that gets you nowhere.
Yep. This is exactly the problem I have.

Are we getting better? No.
Are we getting younger? No.
Are we gaining young players in their early 20's? No.
Are we stocking up on draft picks? No.
Does it open roster spots for youth? No.

This trade accomplished none of Benning's stated goals. In fact, it appears to do the exact opposite on nearly every one.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mëds wrote:This trade, well I hate it, obviously. However, I could live with it a little more if it weren't for the fact that our bottom-6 is filling up fast and we still have Chris Higgins on the team.

If Higgins gets moved out too then sure.....but I just don't see how you can justify keeping Chris Pillows Soft Higgins on the team in a tweener role and dump Kassian for next to nothing. If you are already giving up the pick, then try to force Higgins and a 4th down their throat for Prust as opposed to Kassian and a 5th.....
Higgins is the glue. Don't you remember?
Well, someone has been sniffing the glue too much. Higgins will probably still be a top 6 winger.

I'm going to pretend that this is the master plan...

- Tank It Hard with a soft, undersized lineup that will compete but not be competitive
- Rely on Sedinery
- Everyone else has to punch WAY above their weight
- Hope goaltending is slightly above average, especially Markstrom
- Character vets are there to mentor and protect the youth
- Veteran, expiring contracts are there to be cashed in large on TDD
- Collect the bounty for 2016 draft (and beyond)
- Rebuild/re-tool quickly in (hopefully) 3-5 years so Aqualini's can once again collect playoff revenue

Maybe Simple Jim is really Keyser Soze and Linden is Kobayashi?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lmao not one forward over 200 pounds . Not one forward or defencemen :lol: that can actually be called a hard hitter and maybe three guys who can be considered fast skaters on the entire roster .The team gets older softer and shittier . Paddy I see you conveniently ignored my question on Sbisa , as well as what is your take on Ignitowski ? I think he's a fucking idiot .

Well done Reverend Jim in the last two days the team is older , slower , smaller and shittier . Oh and they are up against the cap . Oldest , smallest , softest and slowest team in the west .
Im not in love with Sbisa and I have no problem with Benning... Blob this team has 3rd line players with no trade contracts not his doing... I can live with Linden Vey as a 4th line center I have no Luv for Weber... Its funny Fans want scorched earth tear it down rebuild but u cant fully do it... U aren't good enough to win but u aren't bad enough to really win either... So IMO Benning plays it this way at the trade deadline lets revisit Jim cause if the club falls out of it u can get a 1st rounder for Hamhuis and guys like Higgins Hansen Burrows are all in play at the deadline and over the summer stay tuned Blob...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Benning: "teams have inquired about Zack over the past year." There goes the "no interest in the guy" BS bandied about here.

So he acknowledges we're going to miss Bieksa's toughness, and then goes out and trades our biggest forward to make up for it. Brilliant.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Still no need to give an asset away for a 5 ft 10 wrestler who can barely play on a 4th line . Get a pick or a prospect . As I said just gut the team of all the decent veterans and shit the bed for the pick . Having losers like Sbisa and Miller pulling in huge coin is worse than overpaying Burrows and Hoggins .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Still no need to give an asset away for a 5 ft 10 wrestler who can barely play on a 4th line . Get a pick or a prospect . As I said just gut the team of all the decent veterans and shit the bed for the pick . Having losers like Sbisa and Miller pulling in huge coin is worse than overpaying Burrows and Hoggins .
Blob u need too take leave of the Province of British Columbia Blob u are way to bitter my friend... Come to Ontario Blob... Get a different look from the outside looking in...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Paddy I am in the interior of bc and I am still angry at the retard ruining my team 300 miles away . As I said if the grand plan is to tank I'm fully on board . I would have given Miller more money on a two year term and Sbisa could have signed his qualifier .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Now we got 2 guys with targets that have called into the integrity of the refs. Can there be 3-on-1 powerplays in overtime now?

We're going to get extra help to tank the season. That's worth a 5th rounder, no?
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Brutal return....why not just reclaim a pick?

Jimmy must have subscribed to the whole gay love thing as he seems to enjoy getting ass rammed...
If you need air...call it in
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Still no need to give an asset away for a 5 ft 10 wrestler who can barely play on a 4th line . Get a pick or a prospect . As I said just gut the team of all the decent veterans and shit the bed for the pick . Having losers like Sbisa and Miller pulling in huge coin is worse than overpaying Burrows and Hoggins .

Blob who cares about Sbisa and Miller? It doesn't really make a difference as don't really lose anything having those players currently signed, they are stop gaps. Doesn't matter.

What we should care about is that we are trading assets forother assets that don't give us the flexibility to re-build.

Do you take a pass at two players in the 3rd and 5th or have someone build character for ONE YEAR?
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Island Nucklehead wrote:What roster spots have opened up? We still have Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Horvat, Dorsett, Vey, Baertschi Kenins and now Prust. Who's moving to make room for Virtanen?

Higgins, Burrows and Anaheim's 2nd for Dominic Moore, because we like his compete and character.
olpaddy wrote: As far as Prust goes who is a UFA at the end of the yr Zack is a RFA at the end of the yr... Lets talk asset management what do you do with Zack Kassian Bad Back/finger who played in zero playoff games in a yr when he wants a raise??? Do you walk away from Salary Arb? HW wouuld know more about the rumblings of 9 off the ice but I suspect the franchise is fed up...
Do you not think Kassian could have returned a better asset for a rebuilding team? Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick?
I think you're over valuing Kassian, like others here I saw him as a player with untapped potential, but it's been three plus years and the only thing that has been consistent is the mantra about waiting for him to break out as a power forward...next year. Like it or not the Canucks are a rebuilding team and if they can't see a place for Kassian why would any other team in a similar situation pay a 2nd or 3rd for him?

As far as roster spots are concerned the same argument would apply whether Kassian was traded or not, and if his position is taken at camp by a younger player, and if the rumors are true that he has been on the block for some time, there is a good chance he becomes waiver wire fodder.

While I'm not particularly enamored of Prust, it's a one year deal and but for Dorsett and Kenins, this team is butter soft at forward, and there is always the possibility if Jim is on the ball, Prust may return more at the trading deadline than a fifth to a contending playoff team looking for grit.
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote:is it official? Are we tanking?
yup :drink:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Arbour wrote:....and there is always the possibility if Jim is on the ball...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get this feeling he's not going to be around so long...
If you need air...call it in