Prospects Thread 2014-15

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2014-15

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

The fans seem pretty pumped with the Comets so far; they got a heros welcome. Great to see them advance to the 2nd round and awesome to see some of our guys playing quite well (Shinkaruk, Baertchi, Gaunce, Marky Mark, etc). Hope they can go for a long run. :)
Fuck is Shinkaruk scrawny
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
Cookie La Rue wrote:Hell yeah, we need players [Cassels] to get back to the good ol' days.....Shutdown Hockey (or was it shutout, shootout?) :mrgreen: Where's Pahlsson?
Yup, Cole Shutdown Cassels!

Then there's Bo:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html

Bennett is 18. Horvat, meanwhile, just turned 20 and is a relative greybeard, but he had his hands full with both Bennett and McDavid in the O last season.

“It was my job to shut them down,” said Horvat. “It’s a tough job and it’s probably going to be my job for the next couple of years to try to keep those guys off the scoresheet.”
Any good shutdown guys available at 23rd in this year's draft?

The Dude is gonna LOVE this team! :mrgreen:
Jansen Harkins is a shut down centreman who could be had at 23. Like we need more of that
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Cassels Hype Trail Update:
Four games, four goals and four assists.

McDavid - Four games, two goals and six assists.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Comets defeat diaper coilers 3-1 tonite to take a 3-2 series lead back to Utica.

Gaunce with 2 assists, Markstrom stops 33 of 34. Alex Friesen has 7 points in 10 games. Grenier with 9 points.

It has been a long time since I could say this, but the Canucks farm team looks really strong this year.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:Cassels Hype Trail Update:
Four games, four goals and four assists.

McDavid - Four games, two goals and six assists.
Winner in OT for Cassels, guy is having a monster season and staring down a chance for the Memorial Cup.
This bodes very well for the future up the middle...perhaps no "star" but solid 2-way players who could do it by committee in a 4-line rotation. Horvat - McCann - Cassels. That could be a rock solid 1-2-3 punch in a few years. Gaunce could be the 4 but more likely he'll be on the wing. Seems to be working fine for him in Utica, he's had a solid playoffs as well.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It feels good, doesn't it?

It seems like it has been ages since we have cycled multiple decent prospects through the farm team each year. This season saw Gaunce and Shinkaruk make the leap from Junior to the AHL. Kenins was also added via FA, Baertschi and Clendening via trade. Next season we'll see Cassels, Hutton, Sautner and Subban. The year after, Virtanen, McCann and maybe Demko.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

RoyalDude wrote: Jansen Harkins is a shut down centreman who could be had at 23. Like we need more of that
Kid is apparently junk. Through his entire career, who was the guy who kept taking, or pushing a team to take him at high draft positions and pushing him ahead of other players? At NSWC? Todd Harkins. BCMML? Todd Harkins. WHL? Todd Harkins.

His skating is awful. He thinks the game slowly. Unless nepotism counts as a skill, and we think the Canucks can use more of it...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blaster86 wrote: Kid is apparently junk. Through his entire career, who was the guy who kept taking, or pushing a team to take him at high draft positions and pushing him ahead of other players? At NSWC? Todd Harkins. BCMML? Todd Harkins. WHL? Todd Harkins.

His skating is awful. He thinks the game slowly. Unless nepotism counts as a skill, and we think the Canucks can use more of it...
While the last thing we need is another Cody Hodgson daddy's boy, there's a ton of parents who act this way and think their kid is the next big thing. I do agree that he does seem like the "safe" pick, which could translate into not having enough skill/size/speed/smarts to be an effective NHL player.

As for OUR prospects... Cassels and Oshawa will try to eliminate Connor McDavid and the Otters tonight. Game is on Sportsnet One.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Harkins - Nathan Smith the prototypical safe pick
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hunter Smith a Calgary Flames prospect
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Woohoo! Generals defeat Connor McDavid's Otters!

COLE CASSELS with 4 assists this game.
On a roster laden with offensive talents such as that of the Oshawa Generals, it is refreshing to see a player such as Cole Cassels flourish, one who prides himself on being more of an agitator and is a strong penalty killer.

The son of former NHL player Andrew Cassels, Cole does not employ the same point production that his father had during his OHL career with the Ottawa 67's, but he has found himself to be useful in other ways.

Cassels thrives on playing a physical game that allows him to be one of the more feared players on the ice when he is out there. He has really good skating ability and he is as tenacious as they come. His defensive game is quite sound and he has already demonstrated the leadership that his father had during his professional career.
Cassels finishes with 10G, 21A in 21 playoff games.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Post game McJesus was asked about the job Cassels did. He just said whatever, they did what they thought they had to and ya he was all over me, followed me all over the ice. This has the makings of a good match up in the NHL. Looking forward to seeing a healthy Cassels at prospect camp.
The only HW the Canucks need
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I was really impressed by Cassels His anticipation is amazing The only thing I see that he needs to work on is his speed. He should talk to Bo .
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Mcdavid may have taken home the '99', but Cassels takes the Championship.

No Cassels, no cup in Oshawa.

Post game hand-shake:
McLoser: "Good game"

Cassels: "See you in September." 8-)

McLoser then runs to his agent and cries: "I don't wanna go to Edmonton!!!" :cry:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cassels thrives on playing a physical game that allows him to be one of the more feared players on the ice when he is out there. He has really good skating ability and he is as tenacious as they come. His defensive game is quite sound and he has already demonstrated the leadership that his father had during his professional career.
SKYO wrote: Cassels finishes with 10G, 21A in 21 playoff games.
Wow, great to hear. Hopefully he'll become a Mike Peca type player. :D