Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lmao , anything that enrages the window lickers at hfboards Canucks is good by me . I guess that message board is Vancouvers answer to calgarypuck when it comes to low brow hockey talk .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lmao , anything that enrages the window lickers at hfboards Canucks is good by me . I guess that message board is Vancouvers answer to calgarypuck when it comes to low brow hockey talk .

Hard to believe that Gallagher could have so many screen names! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously though that thread on the Stewart signing is just plain embarrassing. Talk about over reaction.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Benjo wrote:I'm sorry but a guy with a "good first pass and a good hard shot" with only 11 pts in the WHL is a terrible sign. Guys like this just don't make the NHL. Benning absolutely should have used the pick on Joe Hicketts who was projected to mbe on team Canada (and was). Hicketts has a long road to the NHL but at least he has some talent at the game of hockey.

Stewart can fight and that's it. Players like him just don't exist in the NHL anymore. What a waste of a pick, a contract and time that could have been better served signing Subban.
Weird signing at first glance but I haven't seen him play so can't comment with any real experience behind it. Generally guys like this can be found for free but aside from being one of 50 contracts it doesn't really hurt the team.

That said, we are at 45-48 contracts already assuming all RFAs that make sense are signed, so there's not much room there. Makes me think Benning has a plan to trade some contracts this offseason, and the ones that are most likely to go are the vets.
Well for sure some vets will go but I also think, given the number of players that need to clear waivers we could see players like Jensen, Gaunce and even Vey traded.
I highly doubt they put Gaunce in play on the trade market. The kid is playing great in the playoffs for a rookie. That's a good sign.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Utica needs players too.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

Next on the priority list, I think would be to sign Sawyer Hannay and Taylor Ellington. Maybe we can get Evan Fuller off the rodeo circuit and back into hockey?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I can't wait til we sign the worlds shortest defenceman - Subban. Spud Webb the crease clearer
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hoss wrote:Next on the priority list, I think would be to sign Sawyer Hannay and Taylor Ellington.
Drafted 10 spots ahead of PK, and 96 spots ahead of Jamie Benn. At least we didn't use a 2nd rounder on Stewart.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:I can't wait til we sign the worlds shortest defenceman - Subban. Spud Webb the crease clearer
Perhaps the whole point of signing Stewart is to protect Subban... :mrgreen:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hoss wrote:Next on the priority list, I think would be to sign Sawyer Hannay and Taylor Ellington.
Drafted 10 spots ahead of PK, and 96 spots ahead of Jamie Benn. At least we didn't use a 2nd rounder on Stewart.
That was the most pathetic draft for the Canucks in the recent years. Patrick White (25th overall) and Taylor Ellington (33rd overall).

I would not count Jamie Benn because he was passed up by so many GMs four or five times, but Patrick White ahead of David Perron and Taylor Ellington ahead of Subban and Simmonds... For crying out loud, Perron was top 10 NA skaters in that draft. How the hell could Nonis miss that? Just imagine the Canucks with Perron and Subban or Simmonds... :evil:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I only use Jamie Benn because him and Ellington grew up playing against eachother on Vancouver Island and were both local guys. Benn was orriginally going to go the NCAA route, which was why he was playing in the BCHL. In their draft year (Ellington is an 88 birthday, Benn 89), Ellington put up 13 points in the WHL, while Benn notched 42 goals in 53 games as a 17 year old in Victoria. Another funny thing about Benn, which the scouts should have known, was that he had a fairly sizable growth spurt right around the time he started his Junior career.

All the more frustrating is the fact that Kyle Turris was drafted 3rd overall out of the BCHL that season, so it's not like Benn came out of nowhere. Scouts were around. Casey Pierro-Zabotel was drafted in the 3rd round by Pittsburgh, Benn waiting around til the 5th.

Anyways, a classic example of the Canucks overvaluing a certain attribute rather than assessing the obvious package in front of them. And if they're going to jump off the board, they might as well have gone for a skilled player.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Didn't Benn's rep as a party boy hurt him though?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:Didn't Benn's rep as a party boy hurt him though?
That explains why Seguin and Benn are like brothers...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
That was the most pathetic draft for the Canucks in the recent years. Patrick White (25th overall) and Taylor Ellington (33rd overall).

I would not count Jamie Benn because he was passed up by so many GMs four or five times, but Patrick White ahead of David Perron and Taylor Ellington ahead of Subban and Simmonds... For crying out loud, Perron was top 10 NA skaters in that draft. How the hell could Nonis miss that? Just imagine the Canucks with Perron and Subban or Simmonds... :evil:

Drafting is a crap shoot always has been, always will be. Impossible to know how an 18 year old kid will turn out unless you are a McDavid sure thing. It's a numbers game, the more picks you have the better chances you have at lucking out and getting a Benn, Lucic, Datsyuk, Zetterberg later in the draft. Until the Canuck GM's fucking figure it out and stop trading picks away every year we will increase our chances at lucking out in the draft.

It's amazing the affect of lucking out in the draft what that can do to a franchise. Ask the Red Wings how much Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg have meant to the club or how much Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci mean to the Bruins.

The Canucks biggest issue right now is we haven't stole any really good players later in the draft since Edler and Bieksa. It can do wonders for an organization. Ask the Red Wings and Bruins

However. Cole Cassels in the 3rd round is starting to look like a steal for us, who would a thunkit, something positive to come out of the Booth trade
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote:
It's amazing the affect of lucking out in the draft what that can do to a franchise. Ask the Red Wings how much Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg have meant to the club or how much Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci mean to the Bruins.

The Canucks biggest issue right now is we haven't stole any really good players later in the draft since Edler and Bieksa. It can do wonders for an organization. Ask the Red Wings and Bruins
Agree 100%, though I would add the Canucks have been undone by a couple drafts that were total wastes - 2006 (Grabner wasted in the Ballard trade), 2007, 2008 (Hodgson converted to Kassian), 2009 (Kevin Connauton was wasted in the Roy trade, though subsequently waived).

Canucks have also been plagued with a shortage of picks. The strategy of making up for traded picks with scouting undrafted college players is a good one, but the Canucks need more picks to have better chances of stealing a good player in a late round.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

RoyalDude wrote:Drafting is a crap shoot always has been, always will be.
If you're going to select some kid in the later rounds, of course they're going to be viewed as projects. What's the point of drafted low-upside guys like Stewart, Hannay, Morgan Clark or Evan Fuller in the 7th round when you can take someone like Steve Anthony (lots of talent, hadn't put it together yet), Henrik Tommernes (overager playing in the SHL and putting up good numbers there) or Miles Liberati (buried on a deep roster but with some good skill)? Admittedly you're not risking much with a 7th but why not shoot for the moon instead of the top of a fence?

I'm not CBA expert but I believe Stewart is under team control for at least another year (correct me if I'm wrong). There are other dudes more deserving of an ELC at this point, to say nothing of the Delorme-assed drafting strategy this team is still dealing with.