The next captain of the canucks?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who should be the next Captain of the canucks?

Mattias Ohlund
11%
Ed Jovanoski
57%
Matt Cooke
9%
Trevor Linden
14%
Brendan Morrison
9%

Total votes: 35

WCE
MVP
MVP

The next captain of the canucks?

Post by WCE »

So folks, when our illustrious captain returns to the land of IKEA and the Volvo, who should have the fabled "C" attached to their chest?

There are a couple of options, and I think this should spawn some interesting discussion.

Personally, the decision for me is between Jovo and Ohlund.

Linden will always be Mr. Canuck, but his time to be the focal point of this team has passed, and though he can/willl provide leadership (with an "A") I don't think that he is the best choice for the "C"

Cooke is an intersting choice as is Morrison. Cooke is a balls to the wall player who leaves everything he has out on the ice each night. He is an excellent energy guy (which is an important trait for a leader), but I think that his pest-like antics might cause him to lose a bit of respect from his peers. Morrison seems to show up for the big games but seems lost in the mix a lot of the time. To me, he just doesn't have the kind of presence/ aura about him that is needed for a captain.

Now between Jovo and Ohlund is were the tough decision lies to me. Mattias Ohlund is a rock, and I'd wager that he is in the top 5-7 d-men in the entire league. He is a workhorse with his steady play and can throw the momentum of the game every so often with a big hit (usually against the other team's top players). He also is a Canuck draft pick (and hopefully will retire as a canuck) and is one of the faces of 'Nuck hockey. The only real con to Ohlund is the fact that he seems almost too quiet, and though he surely has the respect in the dressing room, he might not be vocal enough to fulfill all of the responsibilities.

Jovo on the other hand, is well, jovo. We all know what he brings to the table. The man is incredibly talented and is a game-breaker plain and simple. He is a player on our roster who at any time can swing the momentum of a game in our favour with a monster hit or one of his "crazy legs" end to end rushes. He plays hard every shift, sticks up for his teammates, punishes the opposition and wears his heart on his sleeve. He clearly loves this team and he loves to win. He is prone to the occasional give away, but his positive attributes more than make up for them.

If anything, I'd like to see Crawford tighten the leash on him a bit and not give him so much freedom. Jovo in more of a shutdown role with Bryan Allen as his partner would be pretty damn nasty to whoever they are playing against.

My vote goes to the Jovocop!

Let him rain down as the ruler of canuck land! He shall dispense a healthy does of nuck justice to all of our foes, and smote their ruin into the ice!

Now remember kiddies, this is just a poll and the results are not legally binding (though they should and will be if I ever get into politcal office ;) ).

Also when discussing please remember that this is an opinion poll, and though you might disagree with others, their opinions can't be wrong....Except for the ones that disagree with mine! :towel:
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Jovo is the man for the C. couple reason. He hits big and throws the haymakers when needed. he shows up physcially and can make the timely play to get the team going. he leads by force and skill and speaks well with the media. he wears his heart on his sleeve and I love that in a captain. Linden is my all time fav canuck and captain. however he does not need to be captain and nor should he be with where this team is going and best thing is that he knows it. Morrison would be my second choice for the reason WCE mentioned. apparently he was slated to be a future captain in NJD. Cooke is not there yet (IMO) and is a ways from being there. I would have added Bertuzzi into this however I think that blew out the window with the incident. Bert was maturing before that and I thought would have made a great Captain and by giving him the responsibilty I think he would have come around for being a better leader off the ice as well as on.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I voted for Jovo, if Trevor was younger then he would be the right guy. But because of Jovo and Trevor's ages, Jovo would be the best choice.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Jovo for me, but Linden could definately do an Anderchyuk think. Cooke definately has to do a lot more first, but he is the type of guy who as a veteran could be a great leader, Mo and Oh as well.

Although I'm not exactly anxious for Naslund to drop the C either, hopefully he'll stick around for another few years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am honestly not sure yet. Ever since the rumor of Naslund leaving, I have been wondering about the 'C'.

Linden knows his role on the team and will support whomever he thinks is the best for the team. He should have the 'A' branded on his head from now untill we hang his jersy from the rafters.

Ohlund is a little to soft spoken and while a priemier defenceman, I am not sold on his leadership qualities.

Cooke is an agitator, and they never make good captains. I love the guy, and he may someday where the 'A', but I just can't see him him with the 'C'

I have been leaning towards Jovo, and Mo. If we had to pick tomorrow, it would be Jovo, but I am glad that we have a couple years to decide and see these guys mature.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

I voted for Cookie, though that was probably wishful thinking on two counts (wishing that Nazzy is Captain for a few more years, and wishing the Cooke continues with everything he showed in the playoffs). Cooke has shown the potential to be another Scott Walker in very short order. If you build your team around 100% effort and pure guts, its pretty hard to go wrong.

none of the poll options are bad choices. Jovo is probably most likely.
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Ktulu
AHL Prospect

Post by Ktulu »

B-Mo for me. He can do it at both ends of the rink, he's good with the media, he's a local boy, he has the respect of his teammates and I thought he, unlike someone I wont mention, really stepped it up when Bertuzzi went out.

Ohlund - I don't think he wants to be captain, and he may be a better player without the .
Jovo - I would have no problems if Jovo was captain.
Cooke - Not a chance, he has a very long way to go before he can even be considered. Plus I wouldnt want a captain who routinely dodges fights.
Linden - Its not his team and long term its better for the Canucks to go with a younger captain.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Has to be jovo. Although he makes some blunders, he plays with a shitload of heart, hits like a truck and when he's on is one of the better players in the NHL. I love Ohlie, but I don't think he's cut out for the role, and I doubt whether he'd welcome the C at all .
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

puckhead wrote:I voted for Cookie, though that was probably wishful thinking on two counts (wishing that Nazzy is Captain for a few more years, and wishing the Cooke continues with everything he showed in the playoffs). Cooke has shown the potential to be another Scott Walker in very short order. If you build your team around 100% effort and pure guts, its pretty hard to go wrong.

none of the poll options are bad choices. Jovo is probably most likely.
Cooke is more like another Maltby. An agitator who is a pretty good player, but is universally despised because of his antics; ie. turtling, borderline hits.

I have yet to see Scotty Walker ever turtle in a fight, and I've seen him hammer the shit out of opponents who outweigh him by 30 pounds. Cooke could only dream of earning that type of league wide respect, or of being that tough.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Cooke is more like another Maltby. An agitator who is a pretty good player, but is universally despised because of his antics; ie. turtling, borderline hits.

I have yet to see Scotty Walker ever turtle in a fight, and I've seen him hammer the shit out of opponents who outweigh him by 30 pounds. Cooke could only dream of earning that type of league wide respect, or of being that tough.

OK - it was VERY wishful thinking on my part.
I was just so impressed with the way he stepped up when given the opportunity.
(and I just watched the video of that game 7 last second goal a couple of days ago)
Maybe it was because he was agitating less and generating more.
He'll hit anything that moves, but you are right... he needs to back it up occasionally.
Calling him a Matlby is a bit of an insult though. can you upgrade to a Draper, at least :?:
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

jovo's my pick, but only because ohlund's very soft-spoken. he hardly shows any emotion.

morrison - close, but not quite there yet. he doesn't have that intimidation factor that jovo has.
ohlund - softspoken, but he'd be great. he's a low-key guy too, so i don't he'd like it anyway
cooke - he's a pest. having a pest as the face of the canucks embarrasses me. seems like we don't have enough talent or something.
linden - his time as captain trev are over, but he'd still have the 'a'. he looks better with it too.
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

I've wondered about Cooke for this position too. No one on the team plays as hard shift-in and shift-out as this guy. When he's out of the line-up, a spark is sometimes missing. And it's amazing how the tide of momentum can turn in the Canuck's favour after someone dishes out a solid check or two; or sustains pressure in the offensive zone through sheer sweat and determination. I think Cooke is my favourite Canuck along with Ohlund, and he definitely has a leadership effect on the team despite not getting the top minutes.

That said, I have some doubts about Cooke as a captain (at least at this stage of his development). For one thing, Cooke himself mentioned in a documentary about the Canucks that the other Canucks sometimes see him as a bit of a pr*ck because his constant teasing and grinding on his own teammates. I'm sure they're happy he's on their team, but I wonder how this sort of personality lends itself being the captain. And, as pointed out already, being an agitating style of player may not fit well with the captain's role. Or worse ... being the captain might cause Cooke to tone down his agitating style and make him a less effective player.

So I think it has to be Jovo. No question that he is one of the most emotional Canucks, and he's not perfect for the role. But after Naslund's gone, this is Jovo's team. Like Naslund, he can also win a game almost single-handedly when he decides that no one is gonna stop him. I love Ohlund and believe that he's a better player than Jovo right now, so perhaps I should him give more consideration ... but Jovo gets my vote.
Mooger35
CC Veteran

Post by Mooger35 »

I voted for Jovo. Of the bunch he probably deserves it most. But who knows. If Naslund is around for a few more years a lot can change.

Here's hoping he's around for a long time.
Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.
Miller Time
AHL Prospect

Post by Miller Time »

What about Sopel? He is a go to guy who is always there in the clutch, working hard along the boards and dishing out those big hits.

Any suckers out there? Thought not.

My vote goes to Jovo, even though I think Cooke could be an excellent captain if he changes his approach to the game a little bit.
Stupidity doesn't count as a handicap - park elsewhere.
Shapeshyfter
AHL Prospect

Post by Shapeshyfter »

I vote for Trevor - The C should have never left him.

Why can't goalies be captain?