Kessler out Schultz in please?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Bring up the Moose's top goal scorer?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:42 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 18

clearwatercanuck
MVP
MVP

Kessler out Schultz in please?

Post by clearwatercanuck »

http://www.moosehockey.com/statistics/
This would seem logical at this point, especially with Burrows up already.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Can't remember who said but there is a question about if Schultz has NHL speed. He can certainly score, I believe a free agent signing if memory services me correct
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

It's worth a try, although Kesler hasn't been bad at all, the pucks just aren't going in.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

I think people may be expecting to much from kesler, I don't see him as more then a small to moderate upgrade for chubby and I think that is where he should direct his energies.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

chubby is better at what he provided. I am sad to see Kessler get put into the later years of linden role. I hope him to be more offensive for the future.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Fred wrote:Can't remember who said but there is a question about if Schultz has NHL speed.
Lee Goren, in other words. Rather than expecting production from guys given 4 minutes on the fourth line, we should expect the Canucks to call up role players almost exclusively.
ro_nin
AHL Prospect

Post by ro_nin »

I don't think it could hurt to send Kesler down for a couple games, and try someone out in his spot. It's not like we're seeing production from him.

I notice that he seems to take bad penalties as well, letting guys get past him defensively and he turns and hooks em. Last few games he has been a bit more under control, but I think he'd benefit from a meassage being sent.
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

While the puck's not going in for Kesler I think he has been one of the better Canucks this season. He is skating and checking hard and throwing hits. He is shooting the puck more but getting no luck. I think we're expecting way too much from this kid and considering he is a fourth liner I don't see anyone else producing anything more than he is. Was Richard Park benched last night? I didn't see him on the ice or hear his name once.
PlayoffVan
AHL Prospect

Post by PlayoffVan »

Why do so many people spell his name wrong? There's only one s in Kesler.

I swear, I've never seen such a short name misspelled so many times. Must be some Canadian thing, like 'cheque', eh? :roll:

I like what Kesler brings in terms of skating and intensity, the offense will come with time.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I think Kesler provides decent defensive work, grit, and physical presence, with good speed; not as good as Chubarov, but he is cheaper and will improve with experience. As for offensive production, that's not his role so any production is bonus, and while I'd like to see Schultz given a shot, not in a 4th line role when we'd want to see his offensive production.
Mark
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

I agree Mark. I don't see the point in trying to get more offensive production when it's really our defensive side of the game that's the real problem.

By the way PlayoffVan, some of us can spell Kesler's name correctly. However, check and "cheque" are two different things here in Canada and we spell them accordingly as does the rest of the world. As far as I know it is "only" the USA that uses the same spelling for two completely different words.
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

I like Kesler's game. He is a player who we are going to need in order to have a chance at success in the playoffs.

I think that he has had some of his best games against the Flames, which is a good sign for us.

A little more offense would be nice, and his PK angels can still use some work but he is a guy that I think will develop into a pretty neat player down the line, especially with his speed.

Whether or not a player like that could have been found in a later round and we would have been better off taking a risk is a different ball of wax, and the source of great debate at the time of his selection.

I like the guy and think he can contribute in a big way in a 7 game series.

The thing Canuck fans have to worry about is him getting creamed with an open ice hit as he seems to have a penchant to look down at his skates a bit too often.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The problem with Kesler's game is the same problem with the third and fourth lines.....they can hold there own defensively and even on the forecheck but they have absolutely zero offensive creativity and finish. They do not generate chances. When the top two lines are generating scoring chances that's fine but if they aren't the team needs those lines to contribute. However, i will not put the onus on Kesler to provide that. It's up to Linden, Ruutu and Matt "I can get 60 points" Cooke to create offensively IMO and they aren't doing that. But as a whole Kesler has been just fine on the defensive side of the game and quite frankly given that will be his primary role for years to come I'm satisfied with his play. I'm not ecstatic or anything but satisfied. His play isn't all that much different from Chubarov when Chubs first started...completely defence oriented. Really it always was defence first. The offence will come in future years i think but right now I think it's wise to be content that he is fine defensively.

As far as calling soemone up? nah Goren hasn't been any better neither has Burrows and let's remember Kesler was just fine offensively last year in the AHL so to expect a 23 year old Schultz who is on the same PPG pace as 19/20 year Kesler was last year, or better than Goren and Burrows for that matter, to be any better seems a little unrealistic to me. Let alone have that guy be as good defensively as Kesler. Simply put the 21 year old "rookie" is not the problem on those lines.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If Bouck plays up to what everyone expects (in that special 3rd line grinder kinda way) Goren, Burrows, Rypien, etc will ALL find it a long (and injured) road back to the NHL with this team.....

Not sure where King will fit in (if he gets back into shape) either......
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Madcombinepilot wrote:If Bouck plays up to what everyone expects (in that special 3rd line grinder kinda way) Goren, Burrows, Rypien, etc will ALL find it a long (and injured) road back to the NHL with this team.....

Not sure where King will fit in (if he gets back into shape) either......
I personally think no ones expectations should be any higher for Bouck than those other guys.