2015 Draft Class watch

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

2015 Draft Class watch

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Connor McDavid is absolutely lighting it up, It's like he shot out of a cannon game 1. Leads the OHL in scoring

McDavids teammate - Dylan Strome is as well. Some predict Strome will challenge Hanafin and Kylingtion for that no. 3 pick

Eichel potted 4 points in his first game with Boston U yesterday - 2 goals and 2 assists.

Apparently Hanafin struggled in his first game

Merkely looks like the best WHL'er at this point. Seattle T-Bird - Barzal is having a slow start as well as OHL'ers - Konechny, Marner.

Crouse is doing as expected.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2015 Draft Class watch

Post by okcanuck »

Merely is really lighting it up for the Rockets. A bit small but great intelligence on the ice.His passing is phenomenal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:Merely is really lighting it up for the Rockets. A bit small but great intelligence on the ice.His passing is phenomenal.
He's listed as 5'11 - 190 lbs. That isn't exactly small. Pretty heavy for 5'11

Do you think he will go higher than fellow WHL'er - Barzal?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Barzal will probably go higher.Merkely has the advantage of playing on a much better team.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Connor McDavid is absolutely lighting it up, It's like he shot out of a cannon game 1. Leads the OHL in scoring

McDavids teammate - Dylan Strome is as well. Some predict Strome will challenge Hanafin and Kylingtion for that no. 3 pick

Eichel potted 4 points in his first game with Boston U yesterday - 2 goals and 2 assists.
Yeah, McDavid is going to go 1st, there's just too much to like and the risks of passing him up might be catastrophic. Even if Eichel is touted as the best American since Modano, it's hard to pass up on a guy getting Sidney Crosby comparisons.

The good thing for the Canucks, is that this draft has the potential to be as start-studded as 2003. As long as we don't take a Hugh Jessiman instead of Dustin Brown, or an Eric Fehr instead of Ryan Getzlaf, or a M.A. Pouliot instead of Kesler...
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hell of a draft class coming up, would be nice to have a high pick though I would prefer a long playoff run. I suspect the Nucks will be picking around 13-16 when all is said and done, so should get a good player.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Just curious, since we need to start adding more depth to our Defence prospect pool. With the top 3 of Hanafin, Werenski and Kylington most certainly being out of our grasp at the draft who are considered the next best ranked D-men after?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

You tell us Dude. You seem to be up on draft talent. Who's going to be available around 15th pick?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Just curious, since we need to start adding more depth to our Defence prospect pool. With the top 3 of Hanafin, Werenski and Kylington most certainly being out of our grasp at the draft who are considered the next best ranked D-men after?
Ivan Provorov, Russian kid playing for Brandon (and Russia's WJC team) has 37 points in 35 games so far this season. Offensive, RHD.

Jeremy Roy, 6'0 183, Sherbrook in the Q. 27 points in 29 games so far.

Jakub Zboril, 6'1 185, Saint Johns, Czech d-man has 21 points in 27 games.

Matt Spencer is more of the tough/mean type, he's 6'2 190, plays for Peterborough and has 16 points in 32 games.

Rasmus Andersson, playing in Barrie, is 6'0, 210, shoots right and has 31 points in 32 games.

I think the Canucks should be looking to draft a D-man. This also could be a draft to move down a couple spots to get a talented, puck-moving d-man, and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. The value teams are placing on 1st round picks this year, coupled with the depth of the draft, could work out nicely if a guy we want is projected to go a little later.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm not up to speed on any D-men pass the top 3 other than Jeremy Roy. I'm not a fan of drafting D-men in the first round unless they are sure fire top 10 prospects. You can always find good service-able D-men in the second round like an Edler, So I tend to only follow first round forward prospects, that being said with how thin we are in that department I get the sense we will be drafting a D-man with the first pick. Just curious if anyone has a better gauge on 1st round D prospects outside if Hanafin, Werenski and Kylington, is that ok with you? I guess I need to write a novel to explain my yearning for a better understanding on the 2015 draft prospects for the likes of Mr. Bodangler
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Thanks Island, who do you like out of all those for us? Roy strikes me as Derrick Pouliot type whom I'm a fan of. Know a little about Provonov. Not a lot. Just know that he comes from a good program in Brandon
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Thanks Island, who do you like out of all those for us? Roy strikes me as Derrick Pouliot type whom I'm a fan of. Know a little about Provonov. Not a lot. Just know that he comes from a good program in Brandon
I haven't seen any of them live, just kind of scouring the webs and doing a little research.

The Andersson kid really intrigues me. Not sure why he's not on the World Junior squad, it might be because he bolted to North America this season. He's already got NHL size, he's played for Sweden's U17/U18's all the way up. 11 points in 13 games for their U18 team last season, and it looks like he's done just fine transitioning to the OHL (5th in Dman scoring in the league). Future Considerations, McQueens, ISS, Hockey Prospects.com... all of them have him just outside the 1st round, which is why trading down could be worth it to us.

Provorov is likely the most gifted of the group, and he might be available to us, but count me in the group that worries about Russians. The fact he's playing in North America is a plus, but it's so hard to predict how these kids develop and if they want to put in work in the minors. This is a draft we really can't afford to fuck up.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Just curious, since we need to start adding more depth to our Defence prospect pool. With the top 3 of Hanafin, Werenski and Kylington most certainly being out of our grasp at the draft who are considered the next best ranked D-men after?
Ivan Provorov, Russian kid playing for Brandon (and Russia's WJC team) has 37 points in 35 games so far this season. Offensive, RHD.

Jeremy Roy, 6'0 183, Sherbrook in the Q. 27 points in 29 games so far.

Jakub Zboril, 6'1 185, Saint Johns, Czech d-man has 21 points in 27 games.

Matt Spencer is more of the tough/mean type, he's 6'2 190, plays for Peterborough and has 16 points in 32 games.

Rasmus Andersson, playing in Barrie, is 6'0, 210, shoots right and has 31 points in 32 games.

I think the Canucks should be looking to draft a D-man. This also could be a draft to move down a couple spots to get a talented, puck-moving d-man, and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. The value teams are placing on 1st round picks this year, coupled with the depth of the draft, could work out nicely if a guy we want is projected to go a little later.
Good looks IN, i'm pro Provorov, kid already playing in NA so that's already a plus.

A Tryamkin - Provorov combo should be lethal in a couple years. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote: I guess I need to write a novel to explain my yearning for a better understanding on the 2015 draft prospects for the likes of Mr. Bodangler
50 shades of D by Royal McDudely. Looks like Island saved you the trouble since we're both obviously too lazy to google :lol: .

Island Nucklehead wrote:........... This is a draft we really can't afford to fuck up.
Yup, the club has done well with attaining good forward & goaltending prospects, now they need to address the thin Defensive depth and it definately can't wait another season. Hopefully Benning loads up on D prospects in June.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Yup, the club has done well with attaining good forward & goaltending prospects, now they need to address the thin Defensive depth and it definately can't wait another season. Hopefully Benning loads up on D prospects in June.
True story. I think that's why you've seen Benning go out and get guys like Sbisa and Andrey Pedan. He understands our lack of organizational depth and has been trying to fix it. I'm not sure how well it's working, Sbisa has been enigmatic at best, Pedan has a lonely assist in the 11 games he's played for Utica since the trade. Corrado is still progressing, but I think the couple games he played in 2012-13 with the Canucks really hyped up the fan-base to think he was an injury away from making an impact

Usually, I'm in the "best player available" camp, because if you draft well, you can trade prospect for prospect later on to balance the organizational depth. Right now, looking at our current D (top-4 has a 29.5 average age), and our D-prospects, it doesn't look like any help is on the way. Our depth guys (Stanton, Sbisa, Weber) are all the right age, but none of them (maybe Sbisa?) look capable of moving into a top-4 role anytime soon. Our prospect pool has nothing that can be considered "blue chip" on the back end.

I'd like to see Benning go after one of those d-men with a higher skill upside and great skating. I don't like drafting the Spencer, mean-streak types with the higher draft picks, typically a guy like that will see his offense dry up completely at the pro-level. We need someone that can move the puck and put up points at the higher level. Better to use a 3rd or 4th rounder on them in the hopes they can develop into a bottom-pairing guy.