Too many centers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Too many centers

Post by mathonwy »

Two recent posts by respected CanucksCorner posters got me thinking somethin fierce.
Diehard1 wrote:I'm happy with the Vey pickup so far. Figure he will fill a Wellwood role, 2nd/3rd line centre for the most part who can play up and down the lineup. Also pretty soft and iffy defensively. That's a good pickup for a low 2nd in an average draft.

The team really seems to need somebody with Horvat's skillset - who can win a key faceoff and check opposing centres. he's too young for the role right now but hopefully can grow into it.

The offence has been solid do far but the D is a tire fire - blown coverages and odd man rushes all over the place. Makes for very entertaining hockey but a tough way to win enough games to make the playoffs.
herb wrote:I could see Matthias being the odd man out if Horvat acquits himself well.
We potentially (and quite possibly) have a problem with too many centers.

Our first line center is Hank. Then we got 3 center positions and 4 guys that can do the job. So something has got to give.

Shawn Matthias is our biggest center at 26 years old, 6'4, 223 lbs. He doesn't have the best hands but he's quite tough to handle and looks to be improving every single game. Unfortunately he's not fast enough to be on either the 2nd or 3rd line but does an adequate job (so far) centering the 4th.

Linden Vey is, as Diehard1 puts it, a Kyle Wellwood type of player. Maybe not as soft as Wellwood (time will tell) but he's not a physical shut down guy that'll hound opposing players into making mistakes. (In fact, Bonino is probably better suited as our 3rd line center purely based on physical attributes). So the Kings also see this which is why they opted to trade him away for a 2nd. We've already talked about Vey's positive attributes in the other thread.

Nick Bonino is pretty much a shoe in for either the 2nd or 3rd line center position. From what I've seen, he's a smart player that sees the ice very well. He's more physical then Vey but less physical than Kesler (which is a plus considering how many injuries Kes has gotten due to his style of play).

And then there's Bo Horvat who I watched for 5 minutes and then he got injured so I have no comment.

--

So something's got to give here. Everyone here is saying that Horvat is ready for prime time. If he is and Bonino is here to stay, then its Vey or Matthias. Vey has plenty of upside and lot of growing to do but Kyle Wellwood... :|. And Matthias... well.. you can't teach a player to be 6'4.

Can a team win a SC with a Kyle Wellwood type centering one of their lines? Does it make sense for Benning to flip Vey right now for some help on the back end (or on the wing)? Or do we trade away our biggest NHL ready center man who looks to be entering his prime.
Last edited by mathonwy on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Too much depth down the center

Post by Topper »

LOL, there has yet to be anyone step up and solidify a 2nd line C role
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Topper wrote:LOL, there has yet to be anyone step up and solidify a 2nd line C role
We have too many third line centers. So many in fact, that one of them plays on the second line. :?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

In reality, you can NEVER have too much depth down the middle.

In regards to the thought process of something has gotta give, Richardson is already been pushed to the wing.

A lot of these guys (Vey, Horvat, Richardson) can already play the wing, and will see time there.
Henrick, Bonino, Horvat, Mathias as our 'mainstay' centers is an allright down the middle, especially with Vey (who also can play the PP) and Richardson (decent on the PK) for depth. Vey can handle injury replacement in the top 6, Richardson in the bottom 6.

For the first time in a long time, we have serviceable centers (and enough of them).

What we are looking for is another scoring winger to play on the 2nd line. If Burrows regains his 20+ scoring touch, or Kassian grows into a 20+ scorer, we will be ok there....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I am having TOO much fun and Doc....has TOO much money
Carlyees car goes TOO fast

:crazy:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

rats19 wrote:I am having TOO much fun and Doc....has TOO much money

I somehow missed out on what happened to Horvat. I think he is on IR but can some one tell me for sure?
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

damonberryman wrote:

I somehow missed out on what happened to Horvat. I think he is on IR but can some one tell me for sure?
The most I have seen from the crappy web sites (I'm talking to you TSN and ESPN!) is he is listed as day to day. That's slightly better than no information. So, I don't expect season ending surgery....
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Most of our centres can play wing.

Ratski is having most of the fun.

Carlee is going to get himself killed.

I light most of my cigars with hundred-dollar bills. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote:
damonberryman wrote:

The most I have seen from the crappy web sites (I'm talking to you TSN and ESPN!) is he is listed as day to day. That's slightly better than no information. So, I don't expect season ending surgery....
He's on the IR but not the LTIR.

He is due to come off the IR on Thursday.

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 47 mins
Horvat skated on his own today but still three to four days away from practising.

@annschmaltz 45 mins45 minutes ago
Desjardins will see how Horvat responds to his on ice session from earlier today. Next step will be team practice in a few days.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If Horvat comes off IR, practices with the team, but is a healthy scratch while the team plays, does that count against his 9 game limit?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/10/1 ... -a-return/
“There are learning periods that you go through with younger players and what you have to see is where you think they can get to by the end of the year,” Desjardins explained. “That’s how you make decisions on them as you’re trying to guess where they’ll progress to. They’re certainly not the same ready level as an NHL guy, or they shouldn’t be.”
I bolded part of Willie's comments to emphasize the ignorant short sited view many here have when they make comments about rookies playing 6 minutes a game on the fourth line.

I commented on this many times last season noting that a rookie may start out at 6 minutes a game but would hopefully progress to 10-12 minutes by late in the season.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Madcombinepilot wrote:If Horvat comes off IR, practices with the team, but is a healthy scratch while the team plays, does that count against his 9 game limit?
I don't think so. But he does start to count as a roster spot.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Too much depth at center? Impossible!

If Horvat were to stick around, and I think he should, the guys I could see being moved are Richardson and Matthias, who should be dangled at the trade deadline along with Hansen at the trade deadline.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:Too much depth at center? Impossible!
Did Canada's Olympic team have too much depth at centre?

This thread is hilarious.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Did Canada's Olympic team have too much depth at centre?

This thread is hilarious.
No, and I've never heard of a good center who couldn't play wing.