Summer rides

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Summer rides

Post by Carlyee »

So I have owned several showy but kookily original cars over the decades. My last such was a 1995 Supra which I spent a fortune on getting below 10 seconds. I sold this a year back to an 20 year old oilfield worker and broke almost even so I was happy, that poor car though:-( I never did any body work so everyone assumed it was a 1995 pos. I would crush corvettes and the driver always had one of two looks on their face 1.) Rage! and 2.) suicidal type melancholy. Their $80,000 vette got smoked by a car built in 1995, or so they thought.

Anyway this morning I purchased a 2002 911 Turbo. The car is in 9/10 body and interior and a very solid 8/10 mechanically. The dealer wanted it gone so they paid of all the wear and tear maintenance TBC at Blitzkreig out in Vancouver. Anyway I am stoked. Are any of you Porsche guys? I have wanted a 911 for the majority of my life but living in the prairies, you know.

Another other neat car I had was the 2007 Camry XLE I got it up to a hair over 300HP (268 i believe stock) not the fastest car but I definitely crushed most mustangs and scared some other car owners. It was beige and I bought it from an auction sale for a farm couple moving into town for like $5000
Last edited by Carlyee on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Summer rides

Post by Strangelove »

I thought all us rich guys owned Toyotas? :?

When I was young and broke I had the opportunity to drive some of the baddest fastest cars in Vancouver!

(Roadrunners and a 67 Camaro, they weren't street-legal)

I've owned many weird & wonderful cars over the years.

Had 4 cars in my driveway at one point back in the day

(that happens when you have mechanics for pals who keep offering up deals you can't refuse).

Had so many cars I literally cannot remember them all.

Had a beat-up souped-up ex-taxi that surprised alotta folks (like your Supra).

Fastest car I ever owned was a 68 T-bird (390).

Strangest car I ever owned was a pristine Austin Marina (can't remember the year).

Favorite car I ever owned was 66 Mustang.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Way back, I built cars with a friend, 69 Road Runner, we stuffed in a 426 wedge we rebuilt from a 64 Fury, ran 10's.

Rebuilt a 340 in a 71 Super Bee, a 350 in a 69 Firechicken

Then came my motorcycles :D Anyone now living on the Westwood plateau should be shot.

I've put a bunch into my truck, all to make it better for the bush. Two days ago I did a hill climb up to a gold showing following a makeshift quad trail. Top of the hill got tricky as the trail snaked between a few large pines and by that time the tires were spinning so steering was interesting. Wouldn't have been an issue if I had a diff lock. Damn you Toyota Canada. Damn you.

Those 90 degree bends on the section roads will be a blast in the 911.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Now show me a mustang owner that won't try something stupid at a red light!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Not a huge fan of that era of 911's style wise, but I have always wanted a Porsche.

A buddy of mine has an early 80's Porsche and that thing is a hoot...it's an '82 I think. But my god is it terrible on gas! Thing has like an 80 liter gas tank that's gone in 250km.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Oh... I'm liking that 911. Nice purchase. Congrats.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

herb wrote:Not a huge fan of that era of 911's style wise, but I have always wanted a Porsche.

A buddy of mine has an early 80's Porsche and that thing is a hoot...it's an '82 I think. But my god is it terrible on gas! Thing has like an 80 liter gas tank that's gone in 250km.
Yeah I was torn, I am a driving fan so an older Porsche would have been sweet. Love those sporty road cars. I saw a 996 and instantly liked it. I know the 997 has some major improvements but the 996 are pretty good value for the moment. I especially liked the makeover they did from 2001 to 2002.

The only little bummer is the car is AWD. Which I like to believe myself educated enough to not need the training wheels. But they nothing handles like a rwd 911.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I've never liked the stock rims on a lot of porsche's.....but the rest of the car is a thing of beauty. Nice pick-up man.

My brother-in-law and I have kicked around the idea of finding a stock an early-mid 90's Nissan Skyline to bring over from Japan and then mod the shit out of it. Would be kind of a learning project for us.....but those 2.6 i6's are tough engines that can take a real pounding from the mods that get thrown on them. Unfortunately for us it's a bit outside of our budgets at this time.....but definitely something that's on the bucket list. :P
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

I had an 85 pontiac sunbird turbo once.... What? :eh:
cc oldtimer
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Mëds wrote:I've never liked the stock rims on a lot of porsche's.....but the rest of the car is a thing of beauty. Nice pick-up man.

My brother-in-law and I have kicked around the idea of finding a stock an early-mid 90's Nissan Skyline to bring over from Japan and then mod the shit out of it. Would be kind of a learning project for us.....but those 2.6 i6's are tough engines that can take a real pounding from the mods that get thrown on them. Unfortunately for us it's a bit outside of our budgets at this time.....but definitely something that's on the bucket list. :P
I purchased the Supra instead of the Skyline due to the fact that it had more bolt on HP available. You can do a lot more to the 2J than Nissan motor before you have to open it up.

I still like Pontiac Fieros.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Carlyee wrote:I still like Pontiac Fieros.
I got laid in on once. Every time I see one, I smile.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

I was at http://www.exoticsracing.com/ on Thursday. I highly recommend you go if you find yourself in the cesspool known as Las Vegas. I drove a Ferrari F430, 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 and the GTR. Most fun was the F430, best handing and drivability was the Turbo, the R8 was fun and pretty easy to drive. The GTR was a POS and I can't believe people like them. What a cow that thing was.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

So I have owned the porsche for like 3 weeks now. Wow what an amazing car to drive everyday. It is a 2002, but I crush Camaro SS's. Corvettes are closer and I lost to a Callaway Corvette. I crushed a 335i, it was close on the start but once my turbos spooled it was all over.

But straight line speed is not the 911's bag. I can corner at 75kmph+ and not feel body roll. And the car needs a suspension refresh. I can't imagine what coil overs will feel like. I am already saving my pennies for a 997 :D