Young Stars Tourney

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Meds »

Watched the game.....

Our best players were Lotz, Horvat, Fox, Corrado, and Shinkaruk.

Hunter's hands looked a bit rusty, but this was his first actual game since December of last year, so go figure. His offensive instincts are crazy good. Easily the most natural offensive talent out there.

Horvat is just a great two-way center, and him and Shinkaruk combined on some nice PK's.

Fox has a wicked shot. His release is quick and he just finds the open ice.

Corrado has played NHL minutes and it shows. Very poised and probably one of the stronger blueliners for both teams.

Lotz earned a contract in the first period. Kept the Jr. Nucks in the game and played steady all night. The first goal was a lucky bounce for Edmonton after Lotz made a save and then the puck went behind the net and as he recovered to his post the Oiler just whacked at the puck and it went in off of his pad. The second goal was the only one that I would have liked to see him get, a good move by the Oiler forward, but top shelf short-side is something that could have been a save. Goal 3 was an amazing pass by the Oiler's midget, poor defense by the Jr. Nucks and a nice finish. No chance for Lotz. The winner was another lucky bounce in front of the net on the PP that saw the PK scrambling and Lotz couldn't recover.

Subban wasn't outstanding, he played a good game, and he threw an outstanding hip check, but his game was solid and he didn't seem to make any big mistakes. But other than the hip check and a couple of times when he skated the puck out of the zone quickly, I didn't notice him much at all.

Valk was really good, really smart shooter.

Klarc Wilson earned a contract too. Just kicked the shit out of Boland after Boland threw a high hit on one of ours. The replays weren't clear but it might have been shoulder to head and he seemed to throw the left arm/elbow out a bit. But I could be wrong. Regardless, it was big guy hitting smaller guy and Wilson stepped in.....and when I say kicked the shit, I'm not exaggerating, just fed the guy his lunch.

Jensen was a disappointment, and I expected more from Gaunce.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Was at the game, here are my thoughts:
-Mceneny and Corrado were awful
- Valk,Lotz,Fox & Zalewski were the best players
- Shinkaruk, Horvat & Gaunce were ok ( I don't think Gaunce lost a faceoff)
- Liberati & Subban were best 2 defenceman, just average
- Jensen average but good penalty kill in OT
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

FOX rising up the charts in one game, hopefully he can keep it up!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The one common theme I keep reading is how bad Dane Foxs skating is, apparently it's awful, skates like he has hip dysplacia. Might explain why he was never drafted
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

People need to realize this about Horvat, he isn't Pavel Bure exciting, so everyone needs to settle down if they are not immediately wow'ed by him. He will impress you over the long run, the same way other not so exciting players like Patrice Bergeron will impress you. It always amazes me how much idiot fans out there will quantify dipsey doodling juniors as that's what it takes to be a pro (the Hockey'sFuture posting mentality). At the end of the day, Horvat will most likely prove himself to be the best NHL'er out of all of our prospects.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Like the Nikulishan vs Horvat would've should've could've drafted whining I expect to hear the same cries of should've drafted Ehlers instead of Virtanen after Ehlers scoring a nice goal last night
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:The one common theme I keep reading is how bad Dane Foxs skating is, apparently it's awful, skates like he has hip dysplacia. Might explain why he was never drafted
Who cares if he can't skate or play D, if he can pot 40 or 50 then that's a darn fine contribution (one we have been lacking for several years now)...and it ain't shut down hockey :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The one common theme I keep reading is how bad Dane Foxs skating is, apparently it's awful, skates like he has hip dysplacia. Might explain why he was never drafted
Who cares if he can't skate or play D, if he can pot 40 or 50 then that's a darn fine contribution (one we have been lacking for several years now)...and it ain't shut down hockey :P
Well, if we could put Dane Fox's upper body on Robert Kron's lower body we'd have a fucking player, but I ain't no Dr. Frankenstein.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:but I ain't no Dr. Frankenstein.

Yeahno, you're more a Dr Jekyll...... and Mr Hyde. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

TDA Rum wrote:First Practice Observations:

-Shinkaruk looks good, skated well and good shot
Mëds wrote: Our best players were Lotz, Horvat, Fox, Corrado, and Shinkaruk.

Hunter's hands looked a bit rusty, but this was his first actual game since December of last year, so go figure. His offensive instincts are crazy good. Easily the most natural offensive talent out there.
TDA Rum wrote: - Shinkaruk, Horvat & Gaunce were ok
Glad to hear Shinkaruk is fully recovered (and stronger), even if he is a little rusty...

____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fox's skating makes Stumpy Legs Hodgson look like Yvon Cournyeur
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Fox's skating makes Stumpy Legs Hodgson look like Yvon Cournyeur
So is Fox your new whipping boy Dude? :lol:

Crapper skater or not, he manages to get open a helluva lot.

Awesome shot, physical player,.... you might not like him right now Dr Jekyll

... but you're gunna love him later Mr Hyde. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Valk from Zalewski! Used a defenceman as a screen.

2-2

Canucks 2 goals on only 6 shots - Edmonton with 23...

Final Score
Edmonton 4 Vancouver 3 (OT)

1. Fox (Shinkaruk)
2. Valk (Zalewski)
3. Valk
hmmm outshot over 3 to 1 ? Appears Edmonton has a better talent pool but no goaltending..
A couple decent players on the Nucks youngsters but so far nobody thats a sure prospect to make the big club..
Valk and Fox .. interesting - not highly touted but looking good .. Zalewski maybe the "tough guy" the club needs ? Guess we will have a better idea of the talent after the next couple games..

Now I understand the complete idiocy of some posts.. the guys are wino's..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Fox's skating makes Stumpy Legs Hodgson look like Yvon Cournyeur
So is Fox your new whipping boy Dude? :lol:

Crapper skater or not, he manages to get open a helluva lot.

Awesome shot, physical player,.... you might not like him right now Dr Jekyll

... but you're gunna love him later Mr Hyde. :wink:
A couple of times last night he got that shot off when he wasn't all that open.

And despite the Dude's grumblings to the contrary, he's not a terrible skater. He's a little below average on his feet, but he can work on that a bit more, and I didn't see him lagging behind the play at all. He's also tenacious and scrappy. He will likely never anchor a line, but he will definitely be a good piece with the right players. I can see a line of Fox-Horvat-Shinkaruk being very effective.....much the same as the WCE was 10 years ago.