Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by okcanuck »

SKYO wrote:Cybulski sucks

Totally agree. He's a phoney,non-funny,and inept broadcaster.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I will always have a soft spot for Donny Taylor and the rest of the old channel 13 sports page guys...they remind me of the 94 run and that will always be the glory days of canuck fanhood for me (unless they finally win it all....which seems less likely every year...unfortunately)
I haven't had as much exposure to his shtick as you guys I suppose since I haven't lived in BC much of the past 10 years but he's always come across to me as a die hard fan first and media dude second....
If you need air...call it in
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

via: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Spor ... story.html

Dr. Sport: Don Taylor, Craig MacEwen out as Sportsnet moves away from Vancouver
By Greg Douglas, Special to the Vancouver Sun August 8, 2014

Greg Douglas with a little behind the scenes look on how Taylor and MacEwen were let go ............

SCENE & HEARD: It turns out that both Don Taylor and Craig MacEwen were given their termination notices by the Rogers Sportsnet Toronto brass on the same day: Thursday, July 31. They were summoned to the network's Vancouver office for meetings 30 minutes apart with Sportsnet president Scott Moore and Rob Corte, vice president, Live Events and News Production.

Word on MacEwen, Sportnet's Pacific Bureau Chief, initially leaked out in this space on Aug. 2. Taylor needed time to negotiate an extension of his radio contract with Team 1040 and once that was done, he announced himself on Twitter this past Wednesday that his 13-year run with Sportsnet was over.

"I'm not giving anybody lip service or dodging any issues when I say this will be the first time in 30 years that I won't be working a night shift and I'm looking forward to it," Taylor reiterated Friday. "I've got a wife (Lisa) and three young kids. I can honestly say this is a good thing. I'm not mad at anybody."

Taylor, 54, spent 16 years on the air with locally-produced Sports Page prior to joining Sportsnet. Now, after an extended summer holiday with his family in Osoyoos, he will return to Team 1040 with afternoon co-host Barry Macdonald on Sept. 8. The fact Sportsnet rival TSN has a partnership position with Bell Media, owners of Team Radio, leads to obvious speculation that Taylor will eventually return to the television airwaves with TSN on CTV locally. Referring to it as a "possibility", Taylor makes it clear that being tied down to late night sportscasts would not be part of the package.

HERE 'N' THERE: The winding down of Rogers Sportsnet in Vancouver might not be over. James Cybulski and Caroline Cameron, co-hosts of the daily morning edition of Sportsnet Connected that is produced here, could be moving to Toronto in time for the new fall network scheduling.
TSN is going to have five stations online this fall and the scuttlebutt is that they are going to air some of the TEAM Radio local shows on one of those stations, so you'll probably see Taylor on TV again ...... even if he doesn't go back to due local TV anchor broadcasts with TSN on CTV. 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Not exactly Canucks media but today CBC announced the termination of sportscasters Steve Armitage and Mark Lee. At least we won't have to listen to Lee do the Western games anymore. Armitage is a loss, I really liked him. Maybe SN picks him up,who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

I can't stand the 1040 morning show. I haven't listened to the morning show in ages. Pratt is the typical blowhard who knows very little about sports. He just spews broad generalizations and tells people things are going to happen and they can take it to the bank - then they don't happen. Good old Big Fat David Pratt. Some things never change. Bro Jake has little sports acumen but is OK to listen to. I can't believe these two got paired up and continue to be on the air.

I think the sports media, in general, are a bit troubling. With all of these 24/7 sports programs etc, the sports media tends to make mountains out of mole hills so they can fill their time slots and put something on the air. It gets pretty annoying.

The local sports stations need to be a bit more well rounded in regards to coverage. There's more than the Canucks and BC Lions. How about more on the Mariners, Whitecaps and Seahawks? How about putting a Mariners game on the air (Sportsnet) a bit more often than you do now?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Iceman2014 wrote: Good old Big Fat David Pratt.
"He's big and he's fat and he's David Pratt" :)

Larry and Willy on CFOX once upon a time amirite?

That goes back quite a few years!

Been a Canuck fan for some time have ya Iceman? :thumbs:

Welcome to the site by the way...
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:

"Look at that asssssss."

I wish I could forget that jingle. :oops:

Also, my mom went to high school with him. No joking.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Strangelove wrote:

"The place that's cold,
The place with snow,
The place where no one wants to gooooo,
Tor on toooo"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

BladesofSteel wrote: "The place that's cold,
The place with snow,
Tor on toooo"
+1
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

"The place that's cold,
The place with snow,
Tor on toooo"
:D

"No one" most recently being Tim Leiweke. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:

I totally hear that jingle every time I hear Prat's name :lol: I wish I could track a recording down.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

ESQ wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

I totally hear that jingle every time I hear Prat's name :lol: I wish I could track a recording down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32_A4pvsxDU Not the Pratt song, but a L&W parody of Don Cherry. They also have an unkind song jingle about Ron Maclean.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The crotch watcher bit or fax my ass to New York city dittys were total 1994....epic
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

From Tony G's latest:

The Vancouver Canucks’ new president has accomplished quite a few things in his short tenure, and whether he knows it or not, or welcomes it or not, he’s done something else as well: lowered the bar. Although, to be fair, he’s had some help in that regard.

Say what you will about the previous administration, they always seemed to build toward, and then welcome, high expectations. Perhaps after the 2011 run, those expectations got a little ahead of themselves in this town to the point of being unrealistic, and perhaps it was those early expectations that led to the very quick ouster of Mike Gillis as president and GM.

But they always welcomed the pressure of the fans expecting a lot and so did the players with both talking Stanley Cup and long playoff run at all times. The goal within the group, even if it was a little unrealistic, was always the big prize.

Contrast that to the words of new assistant coach Perry Pearn when he was speaking with our Ben Kuzma about a myriad of issues after his hiring: “There are good players in that room, and I think we will be contenders for the playoffs.”

Now maybe we’re reading too much into these words, but my how those expectations have taken a tumble. Let that ruminate through your brain a moment; “contenders for the playoffs?”

The Buffalo Sabres are contenders for the playoffs, just not very good ones. So are the Edmonton Oilers. In fact, they’ve been contenders for the playoffs for the last nine years, just not successful ones.

And the 63-year-old Pearn, who’s been around the horn more than a few times, isn’t saying he’s sure about this, he just thinks they will be “contenders.”

Wow, that was fast. From Cup contenders in the minds of virtually everyone in the organization to suddenly thinking they can contend for the playoffs.

Six years is a quick ouster? Linden has lowered the bar? I think the play of the team lowered the bar. And Benning is saying we are a 100 point team. How is that lowering the bar. The fans have altered their expectations but aside from a few tank nation hanger on ers I fail to see how Linden has lowered the bar.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Gallagher is one of the worst writers out there. I loved it when they blindsided him on live radio with Shawn Thornton.

I will welcome the day when the Canucks inform the Province Sports that he is no longer welcome in their scrums, or at any functions.

Just turf this loser already. All he cares about is poking holes in the team.