Young Stars Tourney

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Re: Young Stars Tourney

Post by Knucklehead »

Indeed it, Church and State, is on the Island, just across the creak from my back yard in Brentwood Bay.

I've been here for over 8 years now and have never partaken in a wine tour or a tasting there, do they brew hooch or just the upscale stuff like Strawberry Wine in Galakegs?

I'll stick to my Lucky Lager.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Church & State are on the Island, doc. I tried a Cabernet Sauvignon of theirs that I liked a lot some years back.
Knucklehead wrote:Indeed it, Church and State, is on the Island, just across the creak from my back yard in Brentwood Bay.
http://churchandstatewines.com/

Well apparently they have 2 wineries.

I didn't know about the one on the Island.

Here's the one I'm talking about:

____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Blobby you don't have to drive all the way to the Black Sage Bench to get your fill of Budweisers,

You'd be out of your element their like Charles Haden Church was in Sideways. You'll be asking locals where the nearest peeler bar is to get your Kokanee draft beer and a flap of bump from an H.A. member half way through the tour, ditching your poor wife telling her you need to take a piss.
Alas the last peeler bar in the South Okanagan burned down a few years back... The Oliver Hotel was on the B circuit up until about the late 90's
Din't serve no stinkin wine in them days...

Slack's in Penticton burnt down a few years back as well (moment of silence...)

all that's left now is a Cheetahs in Kelowna....there is still a place out in Rutland but never been to that one...who knows maybe the wine is good there lol
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Mix in a few wineries. :drink:
Head south between Oliver and Osooyoos. Silver Sage for fun, Black Hills for wine.
Around OK Falls ?? I was thinking of hitting the Naramata Bench area, supposed to be some good vineyards there, but I am open to good suggestions.
If you're on the Bench, check out the outdoor BBQ lunch that Red Rooster Vinyards puts on. Think grilled lamb skewers, grilled breads, baba ghanoush, tahini, etc...really good and very casual. The wine is decent. I believe it is a co-owner of Bognars of Penticton that created the menu.

If you're heading down to towards the OK Falls, Blasted Church makes some nice wines.

Dirty Laundry is between Penticton & Kelowna, and has a larger tasting room and offers a bit more of an overall experience compared to some other wineries. They also have a massive patio with a great view, and at times live music.

So much great wine in BC.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

One of my favourites is Burrowing Owl. They are a little pricey compared to others in the area, but certainly much better than that ridiculous Mk'Mip or whatever. What a hose job of a "destination" winery that is...

I grew up in Summerland, and have been more than spoiled by incredible wines from all over the valley.

If one has the inclination, Elephant Island in Naramata is pretty special if you're down for other fruit wines. The Cerise is spectacular.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I have had wines from Burrowing Owl, Blasted Church, Red Rooster and Inkmeep. Not a huge fan of the NAtive winery. It's ok but the price points on their product seem a bit high seeing as they aren't any better than the mid level wines up there. I have been to Summerhill ( got married there actually), Mission Hills and Sumac Ridge. To me I prefer the Gwertz from Sumac but the reds are a bit better at Mission Hills. Summerhill used to make a nice Ehrenfelser and Reisling but the last few times I tasted it , it was brutal.

I am not a huge wine guy and prefer whites to reds. Just can't drink too many heavy, oakey reds. Don't mind some of the lighter ones or a good Shiraz but Merlots and SOME Cab Sauvs I can't have more than a glass or two.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Don't mind some of the lighter ones or a good Shiraz but Merlots and SOME Cab Sauvs I can't have more than a glass or two.
I hear Blobby, after that 2nd glass ya start going cross-eyed and peel out of there,
Withdraw 5 Hun from the bank machine and seek out the bump and Ho's. wooooohoooo

:drink:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Its of particular interest to me that you guys are touching on the various wineries of the south OK, I live in Penticton and I work 3 days a week in Osoyoos and 2 days a week in Oliver, so I drive by all the places that are being mentioned though-out my week. I'm not a connasoir-sp? by any stretch, but I have come to really like the merlot that's offered at the Silver Sage winery (has a hint of blackberry in it), and my gal likes the gewurztraminer from Tin Horn Creek. (so yeah, I check out the young stars tourney every year too).

If a dude has time, it's a gas to tube down the Okanagan River from Gallagher Lake to Oliver. The better option though is to tube down the Similkameen river that runs through Keremeos (the water is deeper and more clear) Every year some of us make our sojourn down that way. We start at the red bridge a little west of Keremeos and then float into an area that is adjacent to the downtown park (its surprising how much a person can drink in 2 to 3 hours in the hot sun ..combined with puffs). From there ( hopefully someone is sober enough to drive) we go to this awesome local thai food restaurant before heading back up to Pen... makes for an awesome day. Yeah I digress but it's an option/possibility that is worth sharing - second to none.
cc oldtimer
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

So I would like to put this 'out there': Since a number of us are planning on being at the upcoming young stars tourney, would it interest anyone in getting together at a game and having a brew or two (or coffee - whatever) and shootin the breeze? On here we remain faceless entities sharing an up and down ride/journey in canuck fan-dom. I think it would be fun to put some faces to the handles/identities we see on here. I'm planning on going to a couple canuck games (against the oilers and flames) and so if anyone is planning on being there and would like to meet in a non-virtual way let me know. Not sure at this point on where in the SOEC to identify as a mtg point, but that can be figured out. We could even put a little 'CC' name-tag on or somesuch in order to identify each other... any thoughts/ideas on this?
Stuart
cc oldtimer
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Last time I shot the breeze, shit hit the fan.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Last time we did that I awoke in a hotel room with a certain someone who shall remain nameless.

Luckily I awoke first and as it turned out she was suffering from alcohol-induced amnesia.

Helluva thing getting that “HW” tat removed from my butt though. :oops:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I will be at the Sandman . Going to the game against the Coilers and maybe one more but not sure . May stay in Osoyoos with friends Saturday night . Hey Doc didn't the Dude hook up with Loopy the tranny that night ? If I remember they bought a bag of rock and painted the west end red did they not ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:Last time we did that I awoke in a hotel room with a certain someone who shall remain nameless.

Luckily I awoke first and as it turned out she was suffering from alcohol-induced amnesia.

Helluva thing getting that “HW” tat removed from my butt though. :oops:
It was good for me, I thought you had a good time too. Sigh. I only pretended to have amnesia so as to not embarrass you. I know how guys get when, well, the wee wee little guy wants to sleep all night. I tried my best to assure you that it was ok, it happens sometimes, while I was sitting on your, well never mind, you couldn't talk at that point, but it was all good.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

WAIT... I just remembered that wasn't me! :look:

Yeah... that's right... :look:

Yeah... was just a Strangelove imposter... yeah. :look:

Yeah,,, then he told me the whole story in a PM...

Yeah. :blush:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Funny how memeory works. Yes indeed memory is a funny thing :eh: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need