Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by BigTuna »

Good move by Montreal. Puzzling they did not do this sooner. PK is a franchise D-man you build your team around. worth every penny.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BigTuna wrote:Good move by Montreal. Puzzling they did not do this sooner. PK is a franchise D-man you build your team around. worth every penny.
I agree a good move. No sense going through this next year where PK has even more leverage, ie plays out the year and walks. 9 seems a tad high, certainly no home team discount, but not so high that it is a bad contract, it is a decent contract. 8.5 would have been a better number but 9 is still in the right range for PK. He is worth it.

Makes you realize, again, that MG did a good job in locking players up for reasonable cap hits that often had some home team discount in them. Sure they had NTC but as we have seen these are moveable, the return can be questionable but nonetheless they can be moved. Instead of fewer NTC in the future I think we see more, more modified, more NMC, more full NTC.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Boy, that bridge deal.

The Canadiens got 2 years of Subban at $2.9m but when you average that out with these next two that's nearly $6m (and of course there's the $6m swing in cap this offseason).

You have to think they could have likely got him for four or five years at about $5m before - probably significantly less - and still signed a deal like this one afterwards. They'd have been a better team this year and next year, for sure.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:Guess we'll have to draft a #1 dman even though 95% of you are against drafting dmen in 1st round. :mrgreen:
Why does it matter who we draft where? Where was PK drafted? oh yeah.. 2nd round, 43rd overall. Where was Weber drafted? Oh yeah... 2nd round, 49th overall.

You don't need to pick high, you just need to pick smart.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:Guess we'll have to draft a #1 dman even though 95% of you are against drafting dmen in 1st round. :mrgreen:
Why does it matter who we draft where? Where was PK drafted? oh yeah.. 2nd round, 43rd overall. Where was Weber drafted? Oh yeah... 2nd round, 49th overall.

No you need to develop and give them real ice time in the NHL. This is one area the Canucks have sucked big time unless it was due to injuries. We will see how they do with the latest round of drafted players but under MG and AV unless you were a super star you never saw the ice. Make a mistake (like a rookie should) and you paid for it the rest of the game.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Reefer2 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

No you need to develop and give them real ice time in the NHL. This is one area the Canucks have sucked big time unless it was due to injuries. We will see how they do with the latest round of drafted players but under MG and AV unless you were a super star you never saw the ice. Make a mistake (like a rookie should) and you paid for it the rest of the game.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.. like the fact that a large handful of young players were treated more or less exactly that way around the start of the AV/Gillis era and have gone onto successful NHL careers.

The reason subsequent players didn't succeed is because the team produced three NHL calibre players (who did not get themselves killed) out of six consecutive drafts - although I suppose you can say the jury is still out on Connauton and Schroeder. But no amount of coddling was going to turn Sergei Shirokov or Anton Rodin or whoever into a contributing NHL player.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Why does it matter who we draft where? Where was PK drafted? oh yeah.. 2nd round, 43rd overall. Where was Weber drafted? Oh yeah... 2nd round, 49th overall.

Maybe it's smart, but maybe it's just plain luck. Nashville picked Ryan Suter, Konstantin Glazachev, and Kevin Klein before they picked Shea Weber (2 of whom are D-men); Montreal went with Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacioretty before they picked Subban (1 of whom is a D-man). I don't think Nashville and Montreal expected their 2 Norris D-men to become that good.

All I know is that the odds of getting a top franchise player is WAY higher with the first few picks of a draft vs the lower first rounds, 2nd rounds and beyond.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Why does it matter who we draft where? Where was PK drafted? oh yeah.. 2nd round, 43rd overall. Where was Weber drafted? Oh yeah... 2nd round, 49th overall.

Maybe it's smart, but maybe it's just plain luck. Nashville picked Ryan Suter, Konstantin Glazachev, and Kevin Klein before they picked Shea Weber (2 of whom are D-men); Montreal went with Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacioretty before they picked Subban (1 of whom is a D-man). I don't think Nashville and Montreal expected their 2 Norris D-men to become that good.

All I know is that the odds of getting a top franchise player is WAY higher with the first few picks of a draft vs the lower first rounds, 2nd rounds and beyond.
Bang on.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

That's because that's where all the high end forwards are drafted.

Check out this year's Norris voting, three of the top ten vote getters were top five picks and Suter was I think 7th. Meanwhile guys like Keith, Weber, Chara, Subban and Mark Giordano (undrafted) also figure in there.

Then go look at the top twenty forwards in scoring.. twelve guys drafted in the top five excluding Anze Kopitar who was slated to go there.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I still take all of my listed d-men in a winner takes all game today ahead of PK.

Never mind all the bullshit....
Uncle dans leg wrote: He's not even the best defenseman bro...

I'd take Shea Weber, Doughty, Keith, Chara, Karlsson and probably Petrangelo over him.

He is in there with Letang though. Top 10 d-man but not in the league...no way
Based on Subban's amazing playoffs last year, I'd definitely put Subban in the top 5 of NHL defensemen.

Weber, Doughty, Keith, Subban, Karlsson.

Subban is miles better than Letang.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kess ... ailspin-2/

Phil Kessel believes the Toronto Maple leaves are well-positioned to avoid the late-season tailspin that cost them a playoff spot last spring.

"I think we had a good team," Kessel said after a ball-hockey game on centre court at Rexall Centre, site of the Rogers Cup. "We were there last year. We had a bad stretch.

"We don’t have that stretch, we’re right in it. This year we made some good additions and I think we improved as a team, and we’re going to be ready to go."

Kessel, who tweeted a photo of himself playing ball hockey with tennis legend Roger Federer, said the difference to preventing a major losing skid is just finding a way to win close games.

"We’ve got to be prepared for the long season, and we won’t go through one of those again," Kessel said.
Yeeeeessss Phil, all those advanced stats folks who predicted (yet another) collapse were wrong!

Everything is fine, it's a good team that ran into a little bad luck.

Smooth sailing bro, just keep on keeping on! :thumbs:

Dec 21 2013:

July 20, 2014:

August 4, 2014:

OINK OINK, $8m buys a lot of Twinkies!!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Brutal...

Assuming the pictures you've posted haven't been doctored, the Laughs should not count on Kessel doing anything useful March onwards.

Thanks Burkie!
Last edited by mathonwy on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Just a pure talent, it's probably come so natural to him he never had to work for it. Imagine how good he *could* be! Krutov pt. deux?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Good move by Montreal. Puzzling they did not do this sooner. PK is a franchise D-man you build your team around. worth every penny.
I agree a good move. No sense going through this next year where PK has even more leverage, ie plays out the year and walks. 9 seems a tad high, certainly no home team discount, but not so high that it is a bad contract, it is a decent contract. 8.5 would have been a better number but 9 is still in the right range for PK. He is worth it.

Makes you realize, again, that MG did a good job in locking players up for reasonable cap hits that often had some home team discount in them. Sure they had NTC but as we have seen these are moveable, the return can be questionable but nonetheless they can be moved. Instead of fewer NTC in the future I think we see more, more modified, more NMC, more full NTC.
? 1) depends on which version of PK Montreal gets.. the one we saw in the playoffs is a true franchise player.. but the one on the Olympic team didn't impress Stevie Y or Babcock .. Hamhuis replaced him after game 1 ..
2) MG and NTC long term contracts have killed the Canucks.. Luongo deal.. kesler .. and 3 overpaid under performing swedes .. Having to trade off Garrison instead of Edler..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tiger wrote: ? 1) depends on which version of PK Montreal gets.. the one we saw in the playoffs is a true franchise player.. but the one on the Olympic team didn't impress Stevie Y or Babcock .. Hamhuis replaced him after game 1 ..
2) MG and NTC long term contracts have killed the Canucks.. Luongo deal.. kesler .. and 3 overpaid under performing swedes .. Having to trade off Garrison instead of Edler..
Actually, he's been a franchise D-man the past two SEASONS. The Olympics are a whole different ball-game, TC didn't require a d-man to create offense, they already had a bunch of more capable two-way guys (Weber, Doughty) and had offensive firepower to spare up front... they didn't need the risk-reward from the back end.

Subban doesn't have an NTC for the first two years. The Habs can trade him to whoever they want between now and July 1st 2016 (his RFA years). What do you think the market is for a Norris-winning 25 year old d-man signed for 8 years? Furthermore, Subban will be 33 when the deal ends. He's not exactly signed til retirement. Your MG comparison is trash. Would you not take Crosby because of his deal?

He's easily one of the most dynamic PLAYERS in the game, regardless of position. All he needs to do is keep doing what he's been doing. Montreal had no choice but to give him what he wanted. They're big mistake was playing hardball with him last time.