Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Jovocop »

Canucks sign 1st-round pick Jared McCann to entry-level contract

McCann seems to get more spotlight than Virtanen

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727107
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:Canucks sign 1st-round pick Jared McCann to entry-level contract

McCann seems to get more spotlight than Virtanen

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727107
I think it has more to do with the fact that White Chocolate was on the PUP list during Canucks' prospects orientation week. :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Willie D on the Team today:

- he has spoken to all the players by phone. Has met personally with some and has plans to meet with others before camp. Wants to know everyone before camps starts, wants to check in with each player to see how their off season training is going and to lay out expectations. What a different approach from Torts!

- believes the twins and Edler will have bounce back years. Says they are committed and determined to come to camp with something to prove.

- delighted to have Miller. Spoke highly of Lack, never mentioned Markstrom. Says they don't want to put Lack in a position where he has to be the starter before he is ready but thinks he is a future number one before long.

- says Vrbata is slated to start with the twins, his spot to take, but it's not set in stone.

- he has met with Burrows who he says us a key part of the team moving toward. Said Alex is fine playing any role he is asked to play. Willie feels Alex would be a good fit to play with Kassian and be able to help him take the next step to developing consistency. Likes the idea of them being on a line and Akex being able to talk to Kassian on the bench ( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that one made me smile)

- says if a younger player out plays a veteran player he will get the job, said a tie goes to the younger player. Wants the younger players to be hungry and come to camp pushing for jobs.

- vey has the third line job, his to take, but he has to step up and show he deserves it. One of those bubble players who has the chance now to show he can be a regular NHL player.

- says Bonino is very excited to be a Canuck and can't wait to get going. Expects him to come to camp fired up and expects good things from him.

- on replacing Kesler, says you can't replace the player with a similar player, today, but you can replace the roles he played by spreading the responsibility around in different ways. As examples, he said one player may get more of a chance on the PK while another gets a bigger role on the PP.

- expects to make the playoffs, recognizes how tough the division is and the challenges the team faces but believes we have the right mix of veteran leadership and youth. The goal is to make the playoffs and every move they make will be to attain that goal.

Pretty good interview, short and to the point. I am encouraged by how pro-active he is being in getting to know the players, spelling out roles, albeit early penciled in roles, and how he is monitoring the off season progress. Sounds excited to be here and anxious to get going!
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:The moves Vancouver has made will only stop the bleeding.

This team is not close to being able to beat LA, Chicago, or Anaheim in a seven game series. And they would almost certainly lose to Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, or Dallas.

So yeah, it is pretty good so far. But Vancouver certainly had no answer for nuclei built around Doughty/Kopitar, Kane/Toews, Getzlaf/Perry, Duchene/McKinnon, Benn/Seguin....etc.

That said, I guess they could sneak into a playoff spot if the can beat out SJ.

We should have above average goaltending. We should have a solid defence.
The big question marks are

Will the twins bounce back and will Vrbata help

Can we finally develop a strong supportive second line

Third line should be strong

Can we ice a competitive 4th line that can play meaningful minutes

Do we haven sufficient depth to compensate for injuries.

A lot of big questions we won't have answered until the season begins.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mondi wrote:The moves Vancouver has made will only stop the bleeding.

This team is not close to being able to beat LA, Chicago, or Anaheim in a seven game series. And they would almost certainly lose to Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, or Dallas.

So yeah, it is pretty good so far. But Vancouver certainly had no answer for nuclei built around Doughty/Kopitar, Kane/Toews, Getzlaf/Perry, Duchene/McKinnon, Benn/Seguin....etc.

That said, I guess they could sneak into a playoff spot if the can beat out SJ.
I concur.

The fact of the matter is, all those pairs you mentioned Mondi (save the last one) were drafted ones and all of them were drafted after the Sedins. We're back on the track (I think) in the draft department but unfortunately a few years too late to compete today.

JB's moves (for the most part) have been good ones and have definitely set us up for success. Let's just hope our core still has enough gas in the tank to tie us over while we wait for Kassian/Vey/Mattias/Bonino/Tanev/Horvat etc... to step up and take over being our first line.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Finally... :D
Jake Virtanen ‏@Jake_Virtanen
Such an honour to sign with the Vancouver Canucks ! I'd like to thank everybody who's helped me get to this point especially my family !!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

They not only signed Virtanen today but also MCCaan as well to an ELC. Taking care of business.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:They not only signed Virtanen today but also MCCaan as well to an ELC. Taking care of business.
Both of those guys are almost locks to return to their junior clubs.....but isn't the NHL contract required in order for them to play any games in the pre-season?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:They not only signed Virtanen today but also MCCaan as well to an ELC. Taking care of business.
Both of those guys are almost locks to return to their junior clubs.....but isn't the NHL contract required in order for them to play any games in the pre-season?

I think it's iffy we see Virtanen in any pre season games. Why risk further damage to his shoulder at that point, take a few extra weeks of rehab and be ready for juniors.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mëds wrote:

I think it's iffy we see Virtanen in any pre season games. Why risk further damage to his shoulder at that point, take a few extra weeks of rehab and be ready for juniors.
Good point. I forgot about his shoulder injury.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I do believe Virtanen is worth the wait. He has all the tools - let's see what he does against the best juniors in the WJHC. Next summer/Fall will be the litmus test, and I expect that he will turn heads.

Judging from the noises being made about the two 1st-round picks, looks like the leadership is looking to Virtanen-McCann as the new 1-2 punch on the first line when the Sedins retire. McCann is a great disher, and Virtanen needs a puck-distributor. You see where Benning is looking in terms of replacements for the Twins.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

via: https://twitter.com/DavidEbner/status/4 ... 0228614145
David Ebner Verified account ‏@DavidEbner

Francesco Aquilini, Canucks owner, takes a look at the NFL/Buffalo Bills: http://t.co/SOk3j4atUH

3:42 PM - 8 Aug 2014
via: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/08/08 ... ng-around/

NHL owner, NBA team founder among those who signed Bills nondisclosure agreement; Hyatt hotel heirs have been sniffing around
By Tim Graham | News Sports Reporter | @ByTimGraham | Google+
on Friday, August 8, 2014 2:11 PM, updated: 3:08 PM

A snippet:

ADVERTISEMENT

The Buffalo News has learned the names of some previously unreported parties involved in the Buffalo Bills sales process.

NHL sources (no, that's not a typo) inform me at least two Canadian-based suitors -- in addition to the group led by rock star Jon Bon Jovi -- have explored a Bills purchase.

Sources reveal the Aquilini family and John Bitove have gone deep enough into the process to at least have signed the Bills' nondisclosure agreement.

The Aquilini Investment Group owns the Vancouver Canucks. Francesco Aquilini is the chairman, with brothers Roberto Aquilini and Paolo Aquilini serving as alternate governors.
Well, I would be surprised if it's anything more than tire kicking.

If AIG was going to buy a pro football team one day, I would think it would be the BC Lions if/when it's put on the market by Mr. Braley. 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Bonus Round at the 4:00 mark is funny.

Twins are freaky.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:

Bonus Round at the 4:00 mark is funny.

Twins are freaky.
Hilarious.

But Ulf Sterner was actually not the first Swede to play in the NHL, even if this is what most people think. The correct answer should really be Gus Forslund, born in 1908 in Holmsund, Sweden, who played for the Ottawa Senators during the 1932/33 season. Ulf Sterner was the first to move to North America specifically to play in the NHL though. Gus moved to Canada as a kid.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.