Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote: Oooooooooooooh

Not sure the leaves are an example of a team that makes sound managerial decisions, Clam. I didn't see many teams giving him a contract, but it kind of figures one of the most inept management groups out there would go there. Well done. :thumbs:
herb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Not sure the leaves are an example of a team that makes sound managerial decisions, Clam. I didn't see many teams giving him a contract, but it kind of figures one of the most inept management groups out there would go there. Well done. :thumbs:
Nonis/Burke were always famous here in my eyes for going after the cheap reclamation project. You know, the guy who scored 20+ goals once or twice back a few years ago and could conceivably do it again (Bulis, Rucinsky, Pyatt, Isbister, Carter). Or the washed up "top 4" d-man who could conceivably be decent again (Carney, Weinrich). It worked with Anson Carter, but that was about it.
ClamRussel
CC Veteran

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Oooooooooooooh

Not sure the leaves are an example of a team that makes sound managerial decisions, Clam. I didn't see many teams giving him a contract, but it kind of figures one of the most inept management groups out there would go there. Well done. :thumbs:
Well I guess that all depends on what kind of season he has. If he stays reasonably healthy & plays like he did for the Canucks in the new year I say it will be a steal. If he flops it's a pretty low risk contract.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Eller signed with Montreal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=457837

I wish I was born a hockey player instead of so good looking.

Not a bad cap hit but still, $3.5M for a player who has had 1 good season.
Betamax
CC Veteran

Post by Betamax »

So, a little twitter dispute going on by some Boston media guy .....

via: https://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/stat ... 9422443520
Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs
@DaveLozo @mc79hockey I think Iginla is borderline HOF w/out a Cup. Great stats player on largely garbage teams don't really do it for me

8:53 AM - 25 Jul 2014
Anyway, someone on twitter as a retort .... found an article he had written when Iggy was still with the Bruins:

via: https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/statu ... 1892673537
Pete Blackburn @PeteBlackburn
Iginla was a surefire HOFer in November. I wonder what the hell happened?

9:35 AM - 25 Jul 2014
and

via: https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/statu ... 7688740864
Pete Blackburn @PeteBlackburn

Still a surefire HOFer in May.

9:39 AM - 25 Jul 2014

Is it fair commentary to believe that Iggy is a "borderline HOF" w/out a Cup?

Personally, I think it's b.s. commentary. Iggy is a sure fire 1st ballot HOFer. He wasn't the GM and it wasn't exactly his fault that he was surrounded by, uh, the "garbage teams" around him.

:mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458259

The Toronto Maple Leaves signed restricted free agent defenceman Jake Gardiner to a five-year contract on Tuesday.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the deal is worth $20.25 million with an average annual value of $4.05 million per season.
LOL stupid Leaves...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ClamRussel
CC Veteran

Post by ClamRussel »

Wwwwwwwowza!!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:Wwwwwwwowza!!
Yeah, I see a lot of Leafers lapping this up as some kind of next generation moneypuck Kyle Dumbass thing.

"If he's a player you believe in..." stupid Leafers say, "... lock him up to a lower cap-hit while you can!"

:hmmm:

Now, normally a team gives a guy in Gardiner's position a two-year bridge deal at... say... $2.5m per.

Then after those two years they still control the player and have a better idea of where he tops out.

IF he's awesome, you can lock him up (hopefully at a bit of a hometown discount) for 8 more years.

2 years + 8 years = 10 years (age 23/24 to age 33/34)

The way the Leaves have done this, they have 5 years of Gardiner, after which he is free to become a UFA.

Silly Leaves, 10 years > 5 years if he's "a player you believe in".

Gardiner will play his last game for the Leaves under this contract at age 28.

Add to that the fact Gardiner has only played 167 NHL games to date

... and the fact he's a career defenseman who has yet to learn to play DEFENSE. :roll:

See, apparently he has a very low hockey IQ...

... which leads us to the other possibility -> this contract becomes a bit of an albatross.

Yup, one way or another...

... a few years from now they'll be hanging Kyle Dumbass in effigy at the Centre of the Universe. :mex:

To be honest though, I'm worried about them having a lottery ticket in the McDavid Sweepstakes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote:
To be honest though, I'm worried about them having a lottery ticket in the McDavid Sweepstakes.
I would not worry too much. The leaves always find ways to just miss the playoffs without being a lottery team... :mrgreen:
Betamax
CC Veteran

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
I would not worry too much. The leaves always find ways to just miss the playoffs without being a lottery team... :mrgreen:
Uh, all teams that miss the playoffs are part of the Draft Lottery for the 1st overall pick ................. :mex:
Jovocop
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Jovocop »

Betamax wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Uh, all teams that miss the playoffs are part of the Draft Lottery for the 1st overall pick ................. :mex:
Yes, but 1% vs 99% type of odds...
Betamax
CC Veteran

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Yes, but 1% vs 99% type of odds...
Well, the NBA Cavs won the 2014 draft lottery with a 1.7% chance (lowest odds, best record not to make Playoffs) and drafted "Maple Jordan."

The NHL previously had it at 0.5% chance for the best team not to make the Playoffs but as bro dave pointed out, the NHL is going to "smooth" the odds so that percentage should increase ... how much, it hasn't to my knowledge been reported. :mex:
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Post by Zedlee »

Maple leaves sign Gardiner: 5 yrs, $20 million.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leaf ... extension/

Tanev has to be asking for similar money, I would think.
Jovocop
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Jovocop »

Betamax wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Yes, but 1% vs 99% type of odds...
Well, the NBA Cavs won the 2014 draft lottery with a 1.7% chance (lowest odds, best record not to make Playoffs) and drafted "Maple Jordan."

The NHL previously had it at 0.5% chance for the best team not to make the Playoffs but as bro dave pointed out, the NHL is going to "smooth" the odds so that percentage should increase ... how much, it hasn't to my knowledge been reported. :mex:
I know there are also people winning lotteries somewhere each day but the chances are... very slim at best.

From what I read, the new rule won't be applicable until 2016.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Jovocop wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Yes, but 1% vs 99% type of odds...

I know there are also people winning lotteries somewhere each day but the chances are... very slim at best.

From what I read, the new rule won't be applicable until 2016.

Admittedly without reading back on this thread I am assuming that tanking the season to sweeten the Canucks chances in the McMoses sweepstakes next draft year is still a Betamax bone....

Buying lottery tickets on the off chance that one's numbers might come up is one thing, but banking on winning a lottery in any way is ridiculous financial management, so is the beta plan.

IF

The Canucks are not a playoff team come trade deadline day, that's when it's time to talk about buying a tank.