July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: July 1, 2014, (and beyond) trades, signings , rumours

Post by BladesofSteel »

herb wrote:According to Canucks.com, Yannick Weber has been re-signed. No terms are out yet.
1 year at 850k

Also, Joe Cannata re-upped for 1 year at 600k.

Depth, depth and more depth.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Sounds like Evander Kane officially wants out of the Peg. What about Tanev, Hansen and Shinkaruk for him? :D
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

No Todd, way too much. Let's go to camp and see what we have before any other trades or Free Agents are signed. This team looks pretty good going forward. Sure there will be bumps and bruises from a few miscues as they learn but let's see how far they've come so far.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

There is a reason why Kane hasn't been traded yet, he is cancerous in the room, no GM is going sacrifice good quality assets to take on his baggage and the Jets won't give him away. In the end it will probably be a trade of one primadonna for another, baggage for baggage.

Hey Evander, some advice - stop talking to the media, it's really not helping your cause.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Sounds like Evander Kane officially wants out of the Peg. What about Tanev, Hansen and Shinkaruk for him? :D
Oh gawd.

Top 4 defenceman and all around good guy Chris Tanev + Future top 6 forward and all around good guy Hunter Shinkaruk + Solid 3rd liner and all around good guy Jannik Hansen for cancerous top 6 forward with attitude and discipline issues and all around maybe not such a good teammate Evander Kane?

No thanks. The Canucks are on the right track right now. No need to set us back at least a whole draft organizational depth wise.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

via: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... ays-agent/

Difference between Sobotka and Blues was $300,000, says agent
Jason Brough Jul 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The agent for Vladimir Sobotka says that the St. Louis Blues could’ve had his client for $300,000 more than the club was offering on a one-year deal.

“[Blues general manager Doug Armstrong] started at $2.4 million (for one season) and he came up to $2.7 million, so he gave me his best number,” agent Petr Svoboda told the Post-Dispatch. “We were at one year, $3 million. So basically it was over $300,000. There was no room for negotiation. It was one year at $2.7 (million) — take it.”

Instead, Sobotka is bound for the KHL, where he’ll play at least one season with Avangard Omsk.
That's a pretty significant loss to their depth chart. They did re-sign Ott to compensate to a degree, but they would have been better off acquiescing and pay the price than having the lost of his services for at least one year. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Meanwhile on the twitterverse ........ there is some buzz that in a couple of seasons, Stamkos may take his talents to the Centre of the Universe, based on his account "favouriting" the following article:

via: https://twitter.com/WillySal89/status/4 ... 9718929408
Will ‏@WillySal89

Sooo... @RealStamkos91 favorited @Proteautype's article on a hometown kid coming home to win with the leaves... #UFAinJuly2016

12:34 PM - 12 Jul 2014
via: https://twitter.com/Proteautype/status/ ... 7884106752
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype

FWIW, after that Stamkos piece went up, a good source said he really thinks Stamkos could go to leaves in '16 & said it'd take a max contract

1:20 PM - 12 Jul 2014
Would/could Stamkos be hockey's version of LBJ in a couple of years? :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Sounds like Evander Kane officially wants out of the Peg. What about Tanev, Hansen and Shinkaruk for him? :D
I say no. The priority after selecting Virtanen (who brings a similar skillset without off-ice drama) is for a young NHL ready, legit offensive 2C (at a minimum) with 1C potential.

Johansen is the new (Real Deal) Kane .... in terms of whom the Canucks' should dream of acquiring ... or someone similar to that (not that I can think of any young C that fit a similar profile right now). :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:There is a reason why Kane hasn't been traded yet, he is cancerous in the room, no GM is going sacrifice good quality assets to take on his baggage and the Jets won't give him away. In the end it will probably be a trade of one primadonna for another, baggage for baggage.

Hey Evander, some advice - stop talking to the media, it's really not helping your cause.
Little bit far fetched here Pacific Blue. I would have liked a three way deal where our cancerous prick went to Anaheim and Kane ( who is just an immature punk atm) came here with assets going to Winnipeg.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:There is a reason why Kane hasn't been traded yet, he is cancerous in the room, no GM is going sacrifice good quality assets to take on his baggage and the Jets won't give him away. In the end it will probably be a trade of one primadonna for another, baggage for baggage.

Little bit far fetched here Pacific Blue. I would have liked a three way deal where our cancerous prick went to Anaheim and Kane ( who is just an immature punk atm) came here with assets going to Winnipeg.

Nothing stopping Benning from making that trade for Kane. McCaan, Sbisa and Bonino for Kane! Would you do it?
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Nothing stopping Benning from making that trade for Kane. McCaan, Sbisa and Bonino for Kane! Would you do it?
No
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Ya, I remember when Phaneuf was apparently suppose to grow up after after being an immature punk atm Steel Plant McKenzies, you are who you are Blobby Sicilians
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

No!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Diehard1 wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:I'm not sure why most aren't talking about the prospect depth assembled, when a guy like Jensen or Gaunce is your #5 prospect you are doing well. Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen are all very good prospects while Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado, Hutton, Fox and Rey all have very good NHL potential. Demko, Eriksson, Markstrom and Cannata is a very deep set of goalie prospects, even if goalies are wild cards.

This management team is doing a solid job of retooling while adding young players. It's early but I like the direction so far.
Sure, there's quantity, but my main issue is how much quality is there in the prospects? i.e. How many of them are capable of being 1st liners or even 2nd liners for a long period of time in the NHL? Using the HF board rating system, how many 8.0+ level prospect(s) are in the system? None that I can see. :mex:
Quantity and quality in the system yep. I don't use the HF system because it's awful, they have no idea what they are doing as it's written by a bunch of bloggers. THN is better but once they went to the under 21 system instead of prospects only they lost me a bit.

Who are quality players? Horvat for sure, I would assume Virtanen even though I've only seen him play twice so it's hard for me to comment, just going on what the scouts say. Shinkaruk definitely was before his injury so assuming he's healthy there's no reason that should change. McCann as well, I've watched him a few times in the past 12 months as I figured the Nucks may have a chance to pick him, he's a very good prospect.

The rest of the top 10 or so are potential NHLers, when is the last time we could say that? I've been a fan since the early 80's and I can't remember another time. We've had better top end guys (Linden, Nedved, Bure, Sedins) but never this much depth.
Well, when I use the hf rating system of 8.0+ ...... it's just in reference to players that are rated as top line offensive players. Besides Shinkaruk and now Virtanen, both of whom are wingers who have a chance to become that in a best case scenario but it's certainly not a "can't miss" locks to do so.

The Canucks over the next few years will have to compete with the duo of Duchene/McKinnon, RNH/DD, Monahan/Bennett down the middle.

Where is the top line offensive C the Canucks have as prospects? Okay, you say Horvat and McCann but they don't project as being top end offensive PPG players and are pegged as two way Cs. :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

In a fucking heartbeat, but the Jets say no.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”