Will Todd Bertuzzi be on Team Canada

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Will Big Bert make Canada

Poll ended at Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:57 am

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 17

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Will Todd Bertuzzi be on Team Canada

Post by mattola »

Simply put yes or no? will Bert be on Canada.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I say yes because Doan has been just as dissappointing if not more so as Bertuzzi has been. I think only one was going to make it and I think it'll be Bertuzzi.

I'm sure whoever is picked will be worthy of the team. I also think in the case of Bertuzzi no one can be truly surprised if he's on the team and no one can be surprised if he isn't.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I think he makes it. Gretzky and Quinn both seem to like him and Tambellini is probably a supporter. Bob Mckenzie said they were getting pressure from beuraucrats not to include him because of "the incident", but that the team needed some natural wingers considering most of the forwards are centers.
Tretiak
AHL Prospect

Post by Tretiak »

there's no reason why you wouldn't put bert on canada. his size is nearly unmatched in right wingers, and man when he's playing teams without size...he can just outmuscle anybody out there.

i'm not a fan of canada's national team, nor will i ever be...but if i'm picking my roster, i'd put bert on it.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Tretiak wrote:there's no reason why you wouldn't put bert on canada. his size is nearly unmatched in right wingers, and man when he's playing teams without size...he can just outmuscle anybody out there.

i'm not a fan of canada's national team, nor will i ever be...but if i'm picking my roster, i'd put bert on it.
what do you think of no JR on US?
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

After the comments he made leading up to the selection, I am glad they did not pick him. It's too bad we (the Canucks) had to play him when he had all the added motivation, but--generally--he has been an average player this season.

Regardless, with the players that the US is sending this year, it will all be moot. Our lineup can't contend with Team Canada. In fact, we will be overmatched by several of the European teams as well.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

If they leave off Bertuzzi, it would be Team Canada's loss. I think he'd play well for them because he wants to impress. Moreover, I don't see what an entirely NHL-related incident really has to do with international competition. No other Olympic players have ever done something stupid in their NHL career? And it's not like they're worried about him repeating it against, like, Team Finland or something.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Apparently the Cdn Olympic committee have made it know that they do not want Bertuzzi, Heatley or Doan on the team for their "character flaws"

Man I wonder if any of these guys (Cdn Olympic committee) can walk on water. Let he that knows no sin cast the first stone, or some thing like that :)
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Anything less than hammering the weak American team by at least 5 goals should be considered a failure. That is probably their lousiest team in 20 years.
Tretiak
AHL Prospect

Post by Tretiak »

mattola wrote:
Tretiak wrote:there's no reason why you wouldn't put bert on canada. his size is nearly unmatched in right wingers, and man when he's playing teams without size...he can just outmuscle anybody out there.

what do you think of no JR on US?
after watching him in nearly every game he's played for the kings this year, i think it's time for him to move on...he provides nice leadership that you can only get from vets, but we got modano, chelios, and hatcher back to fill those gaps..

JR was great for promoting hockey in america...but there's a time when everybody has to move on.

he was great in his time, but now the game's becoming young and fast...canada and russia are going to be skating young, fast fowards...and america's going to have to do the same to keep up

man..why does everybody count out the american team come every olympics. they call us weak, undermanned, yadda yadda yadda...but we took silver last olympics.

though america doesn't have the team that it did back in 96 when we won the world cup of hockey, i think our roster now looks pretty good..

jason blake, eric cole, craig conroy, chris drury, brian gionta, scott gomez, bill guerin, mike knuble, mike modano, mark parrish, brian rolston, keith tkachuk, doug weight.

our fowards look good...but obviously not as impressive looking as canada's.

all in all, i think the winter olympics are going to be the best we've seen yet in hockey coming in 06.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Jyrki21 wrote:If they leave off Bertuzzi, it would be Team Canada's loss. I think he'd play well for them because he wants to impress.
If he hasn't 'wanted to impress' so far, why should the Olympics be any different?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

though america doesn't have the team that it did back in 96 when we won the world cup of hockey, i think our roster now looks pretty good..

jason blake, eric cole, craig conroy, chris drury, brian gionta, scott gomez, bill guerin, mike knuble, mike modano, mark parrish, brian rolston, keith tkachuk, doug weight.

our fowards look good...but obviously not as impressive looking as canada's.
I wish I could agree, but I bet you can't name more than two of those guys who would make Team Canada. What's worse is that we included Derian Hatcher and Chris Chelios on defense. Those two are old and broke down. They will be dramatically overmatched by the overall speed of several of the other teams in the games.
Tretiak
AHL Prospect

Post by Tretiak »

i think hatcher can still play...chelios is on and off. the last game he played against the kings he looked great.

i kinda wished they would have put joe corvo on the american squad...he's a great offensive minded defenseman...and come to think of it, why not put brian leetch back on the team instead of chelios? leetch may be old, but i think he's more fit for international competition than chelios is right now.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

I agree...Leetch should have been on the team before both Chelios and Hatcher.
Tretiak
AHL Prospect

Post by Tretiak »

well, regardless of what aged defensemen we have, i'm glad schnieder is on our team.

america has never really had overly impressive olympic rosters...minus or 1994 team, maybe..

a team that i can see being a serious contender for the gold next year are the swedes..nobody has talked about them, since everybody's focusing on who makes canada's roster...but they have an impressive bunch of guys..

sundin, foresberg, norstrom, alfredsson, naslund, the sedin bros., sami salo, and others..

don't know who's going to be playing in the net for them, but i see them really lighting the lamp in torino.