2014 UFA Offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014 UFA Offseason

Post by SKYO »

Hank wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ya let's get Ericksson to play with the twins. Sign Iginla to play with Bonino and Kassian. That leaves everyone else to compete for the bottom 6. Add Miller and BAM...instant contender :mrgreen:
Somehow I doubt we can get Eriksson for cheap even it is a cap dump, I think they let Iggy go and let Eriksson take his spot.
And if they want to save on the cap they'll trade one of Kelly, McQuaid or Marchand first.
I would trade them Sestito for Marchand. :thumbs:
Marchand can show these guys the proper technique for hoisting the cup... provided they kiss the ring first.
If Marchand comes here he will have to get initiated first...by Kassian, Sestito, Bieksa

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Surprised folks haven't been wishing for a return of MayRay.

RD, weren't you all over GMMG for letting him go?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Can't remember the last time free agent season rolled around and I hoped the Canucks did basically nothing.

Weird. :?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

ditto
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

TEAM Radio @TEAM1040
Per @TSNBobMcKenzie He believes Ryan Miller WILL be a Canuck today.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:TEAM Radio @TEAM1040
Hrrrrmmmm....not sure how I feel about this....he's not in his prime anymore and failed in Buttfuckalo AND St. Lobotomy...will make a good mentor for Lack & Markstrom I guess...plus I hear his wifey is smoke'n L.A. hot!

Wuuuuulf!

:thumbs:

Just don't ruin the TiT (Trevor's Tank It™) old Ryan :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:TEAM Radio @TEAM1040
Hrrrrmmmm....not sure how I feel about this....he's not in his prime anymore and failed in Buttfuckalo AND St. Lobotomy...will make a good mentor for Lack & Markstrom I guess...plus I hear his wifey is smoke'n L.A. hot!

Wuuuuulf!

:thumbs:
Apparently he was far from a good mentor for the backup in Buffalo (Enroth).

I dunno, I get why we'd go after him but I'd rather stick with the McDavid duo we're rocking right now. We'll have to dump one of Markstrom or Lack to sign Miller, he's going to demand a shitload of games, and by the time we're any good, he won't be.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

This signing makes as much sense as trading Kesler for now players instead of prospects. Starting to reek of a Flames delusional half-ass reset.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ClamRussel wrote:This signing makes as much sense as trading Kesler for now players instead of prospects. Starting to reek of a Flames delusional half-ass reset.
Well I think it's pretty obvious we weren't going to get a "don't worry folks, there'll be plenty of room for new season ticket holders when we're done" style rebuild.

At this point I think Canucks fans should be thankful that we're also not getting a "so you're saying there's a chance!!!" style load up either. What if we'd turned around and dealt the Kesler return for Spezza, outbid someone to get Iginla or Bolland and tried to give Ehrhoff what he wanted ($5m x 5)?

We'll see what happens in the rest of the offseason - still some big names out there - but it seems pretty clear that this team is going to try to get younger without putting themselves in a position to freefall. I think that's sensible given a. the real world constraints on the franchise and b. the trouble most franchises have escaping a culture of losing once they do things like trade a top 3 forward for no roster players, or go into a season with zero proven NHL starting goaltending.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Isn't that a chance worth taking when there are potentially two franchise players available in the draft? Not a bad year to stock up on youth rather than beat around the bush.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

It's just a non-starter. If we end up at the bottom of the league it will be by accident, because that is simply not an acceptable outcome to ownership (maybe if they felt they could hoodwink the ticket buying public with a team destined for 30th overall that was somehow still marketable)..
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote:It's just a non-starter. If we end up at the bottom of the league it will be by accident, because that is simply not an acceptable outcome to ownership (maybe if they felt they could hoodwink the ticket buying public with a team destined for 30th overall that was somehow still marketable)..
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jensen-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Matthias-Horvat
Hansen-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito-Vey

Not a playoff roster, but look at the YOUTH MOVEMENT!

I'd wager this team could try and pull a Calgary Flames from last year. "We might've lost the game but look how hard our boys tried!"
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
dbr wrote:It's just a non-starter. If we end up at the bottom of the league it will be by accident, because that is simply not an acceptable outcome to ownership (maybe if they felt they could hoodwink the ticket buying public with a team destined for 30th overall that was somehow still marketable)..
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jensen-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Matthias-Horvat
Sestito-Vey

I'd wager this team could try and pull a Calgary Flames from last year. "We might've lost the game but look how hard our boys tried!"
All the more reason we should have gone w/ Lack & Markstrom. Perhaps added Mitchell to the back end to help them. We're not in "blow it up" mode as long as we have so many old guys there but it's time to pass the torch. Perhaps Horvat or Jensen don't make it off the bat but Vey is still young & promising. The sad part in not landing Theodore is we don't really have any serious D prospects. We're trending scarily into Hurricanes territory only our core is way older. I'm not a fan of the half-ass rebuild.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jensen-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Matthias-Horvat
Sestito-Vey
"
All the more reason we should have gone w/ Lack & Markstrom.

Perhaps added Mitchell to the back end to help them.

We're not in "blow it up" mode as long as we have so many old guys there but it's time to pass the torch.

Perhaps Horvat or Jensen don't make it off the bat but Vey is still young & promising.

The sad part in not landing Theodore is we don't really have any serious D prospects.

We're trending scarily into Hurricanes territory only our core is way older. I'm not a fan of the half-ass rebuild.
I'd wager that's not our starting lineup next season, lets wait and see what else they do first eh?

No thanks to Lack/Marky clamrussel.
Acquiring Miller who has proven he can handle #1 duties, has numerous wins even on the crappy Sabres team will be beneficial for a young team...you see the failured look in the young Oilers team eyes with their shitty goaltending and losses piling up every year...that's what I don't want...a Miller/Lack combo will be a calming factor for this retooling/rebuilding team.

I'd guess Jensen makes it full time, Horvat will get a long look, but with Vey here BoHo would have to play outstanding to stay, not just mediocre, which is a given.

As for Theodore it would have been nice, but all we need is QB dman to round out top 6 D nicely.

I can't see a Hurricane territory like scenario here mr clam.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: I can't see a Hurricane territory like scenario here mr clam.
Nope. We have better goaltending.