Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Post by Cornuck »

New thread for this years random signings.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15

Post by SKYO »

Not much left for the Canucks to sign for top 6 scorers, just some scraps at the clearance table...except Vrbata.

He'll be hard to get at this point.

I think it's time to look at the trade route, see if teams need to clear a bit of cap and a RFA in return for a pick/depth player.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Okay, I'm just spit ballin' here, but the subject of E.Kane has really quieted down.

Clearly, the Linden regime has opted to commit to the Sedins and NOT go the "rebuild" route. Signing Miller and Vrbata to expedite the current core's chances to contend, while surrounding said core with younger talent appears to be plan to win today, and tomorrow.

So here goes.

Zack Kassian, Jannik Hansen, Nick Jensen and Jacob Markstrom
for
Evander Kane and Brenden Kichton

Gives the Jets a top six to ease the loss of Kane, a potential fan fav top 9 in Hansen, an offensive prospect in Jensen and potential #1 goalie. This also allows small-market Winnipeg more financial flexibility while improving overall depth.

As for Van, this deal instantly solidifies the top six by adding a proven sniper and second wave attack after the top line. Dealing 4 for 2 opens up roster spots for other young up and comers, without depleting the vet depth. It also boosts a hole on the blue line depth chart, arguably the biggest weakness in the system.

Its an instant win-win for both clubs.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BladesofSteel wrote:Okay, I'm just spit ballin' here, but the subject of E.Kane has really quieted down.

Clearly, the Linden regime has opted to commit to the Sedins and NOT go the "rebuild" route. Signing Miller and Vrbata to expedite the current core's chances to contend, while surrounding said core with younger talent appears to be plan to win today, and tomorrow.

So here goes.

for

Gives the Jets a top six to ease the loss of Kane, a potential fan fav top 9 in Hansen, an offensive prospect in Jensen and potential #1 goalie. This also allows small-market Winnipeg more financial flexibility while improving overall depth.

As for Van, this deal instantly solidifies the top six by adding a proven sniper and second wave attack after the top line. Dealing 4 for 2 opens up roster spots for other young up and comers, without depleting the vet depth. It also boosts a hole on the blue line depth chart, arguably the biggest weakness in the system.

Way too soon to give up on Kassian.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Kassian, and McCann, should be our list of keepers.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BladesofSteel wrote: So here goes.

for
Would you do the trade if Winnipeg wanted Lack instead of Markstrom? Because I don't see this collection of players being near enough for Evander Kane, especially if the rumours about Philly making a big push for him are true.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

ESQ wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote: So here goes.

for
Would you do the trade if Winnipeg wanted Lack instead of Markstrom? Because I don't see this collection of players being near enough for Evander Kane, especially if the rumours about Philly making a big push for him are true.
If management is as confident in Markstrom's upside as they have alluded to be, than yes.

But then Kichton would have to be swapped out for Morrissey.

Kane may be the best player in the deal today, but Winnipeg could significantly improve with the package going back.

Its a win-win deal for both clubs.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ESQ wrote: Would you do the trade if Winnipeg wanted Lack instead of Markstrom? Because I don't see this collection of players being near enough for Evander Kane, especially if the rumours about Philly making a big push for him are true.
Who would Philly offer? They need to shed salary, taking E. Kane's $5.25 per would make that even more difficult.

What Peg would want from Philly won't help their cap situation.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd actually prefer to keep all our young guns, let em mature and develop so we can have a plethora of young talent with depth!

Trading for Kane would deplete our cupboards of prospects, and for a retooling/semi rebuilding team that would set us back a bit as I don't think we are Stanley Cup contenders at this point...when Horvat/Jensen come around that would really help for our mediocre secondary scoring after the sedins/vrbata.

Couple years we should have Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Cassels coming in, with Horvat/Jensen/Kassian all that much more experienced (young vets)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Aaronp18 wrote: Who would Philly offer? They need to shed salary, taking E. Kane's $5.25 per would make that even more difficult.

What Peg would want from Philly won't help their cap situation.
The rumour I saw on Prohockeytalk a few days ago didn't say what the offer was, just that they were "aggressively pursuing". Which I take to mean they put together a valuable package, I don't know if that would be picks, prospects, or roster players.

And to be fair, the Canucks would have to shed salary as well to take on Kane and another replacement roster player.

I just don't think its going to be extremely difficult to trade Hansen, who is the kind of player that can be picked up in FA for a one-year, $1 million contract. I doubt anyone will take a player like that with a 4-year, $2.5mil/year contract.

And I totally get why Canuck fans are so high on Kassian right now, but he's got a long way to go to become the player Kane is today. In Kassian's 3rd season, he scored as many goals as Kane did as a rookie in only 66 games.

As for Markstrom - well, his value has to be at an all-time low, notwithstanding management being happy to keep him in the organization.

Basically the value of Kassian, Hansen and Markstrom is extremely low at the moment and will likely improve as the season goes on. But if I'm Cheveldayoff, I wouldn't trade Kane for a 3rd liner, a salary dump, a prospect an an AHL goalie. I'm not saying that's my opinion of those players, but that's what I'd expect the perception to be of those players.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:I'd actually prefer to keep all our young guns, let em mature and develop so we can have a plethora of young talent with depth!

Trading for Kane would deplete our cupboards of prospects, and for a retooling/semi rebuilding team that would set us back a bit as I don't think we are Stanley Cup contenders at this point...when Horvat/Jensen come around that would really help for our mediocre secondary scoring after the sedins/vrbata.

Couple years we should have Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Cassels coming in, with Horvat/Jensen/Kassian all that much more experienced (young vets)
The flip side is, the Sedins will be a couple years older and I can't see any of the above players being ready in a couple years for prime time 1st line duty.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:I'd actually prefer to keep all our young guns, let em mature and develop so we can have a plethora of young talent with depth!

Bang on Skyo.

If you look at our roster and fast-forward 3 years, to when the Sedins are entering the last year of their current contracts, our group of under 30 year old forwards could include...

Bonino
Cassels
Fox
Gaunce
Horvat
Kassian
Jensen
Matthias
McCann
Shinkaruk
Vey
Virtanen

That's actually a very nice group of nearly ready now forwards.

Depending on what moves are made and where we finish this year, we could still add a very good player from the 2015 crop of draft picks.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'd remove Fox from that list, the chances of him making the grade are slim to none

But ya you'd be decimating our depth to acquire an enigmatic player in Kane, pure stupidity. After years of lacking depth which had put this organization to where it is now but finally on the up swing with decent depth we now want to thin it out again by putting all our eggs in one basket for a high maintenance personality in the dressing room in Kane? No fucking thank you
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

BladesofSteel wrote:Okay, I'm just spit ballin' here, but the subject of E.Kane has really quieted down.

So here goes.

for

No way would I give up that package for Kane. Jensen and Kassian have some real upside. No thanks. Kane is a malcontent and who knows what his attitude will be like if he comes here.

The trade isn't that bad when you look at skill and is close. It's a tough call but I'd pass.

I'd rather trade lesser pieces for the likes of Kreider or Reilly Smith, Tomas Jurco, M. Janmark etc. I would be open to dealing Hansen, Higgins, Gaunce, later picks etc.

Ideally I'd like to make a move that gets us our #1 centre of the future. I'd be open to dealing the likes of Tanev, Hamhuis and so on (if we can talk him into it).
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Trading Tanev is stupid. Man do a lot of Canuck fans underestimate this kid. As Bieksa says about Tanev "The most underrated defenseman in the NHL". He's 24, we already lack depth on D. We have a plethora of forwards to trade from and some depth in goal.

I see Benning being a seller at the Deadline if we are clearly out of a playoff spot then. Burrows, Bieksa, Miller, the Sedins, Vrbata are all over 33. Higgins is 31. I could see Benning selling age at the deadline for youth and picks as he loves the draft to make room for some of these kids knocking at the door.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »