Sabers Buy Out Ehrhoff

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Sabers Buy Out Ehrhoff

Post by SKYO »

haha OK then sign Ehrhoff and trade Stanton+Burrows for Josh Georges who apparently wants out, or sign Willie Mitchell.

EDLER - EHRHOFF
HAMHUIS - BIEKSA
GEORGES/MITCHELL - TANEV/CORRADO
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:haha OK then sign Ehrhoff and trade Stanton+Burrows for Josh Georges who apparently wants out, or sign Willie Mitchell.

EDLER - EHRHOFF
HAMHUIS - BIEKSA
Georges won't waive for any Canadian teams. Toronto would love to get their hands on him.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:haha OK then sign Ehrhoff and trade Stanton+Burrows for Josh Georges who apparently wants out, or sign Willie Mitchell.

EDLER - EHRHOFF
HAMHUIS - BIEKSA
Our biggest problem last year was scoring, and we're going to solve that by spending $8M on our bottom pairing defensemen? Riiiiiiiiight.

Tanev should be in the top four. Like I said earlier, Edler-Tanev can be the new Edler-Salo. Edler needs a reliable partner to cover up his blemishes.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I'd much rather Stanton than Gorges.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Georges won't waive for any Canadian teams. Toronto would love to get their hands on him.
Apparently Georges expanded it to include some Canadian teams except Toronto.
Per @Dave_Stubbs Josh Gorges is now expanding his list of 15 teams & some Canadian teams have been added, likely Vancouver IMO.
He's a diehard habs wont' play for Tdot lol
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
Our biggest problem last year was scoring, and we're going to solve that by spending $8M on our bottom pairing defensemen? Riiiiiiiiight.

Tanev should be in the top four. Like I said earlier, Edler-Tanev can be the new Edler-Salo. Edler needs a reliable partner to cover up his blemishes.
My main point is we need a guy like Ehrhoff, was just trying to appease sage with his meat and potato's dmen he wants to acquire more of, but I agree we need a dman with size on in our top 6 somewhere and to me that' type of dman will have to take Stantons' spot.

Tanev imo might be hard to re-sign...
The Tanev negotiations dragged through the summer. The 23-year-old was first represented by his father before turning to agent Ross Gurney. There were recently rumours of interest from Russia and Europe – stoked to generate leverage where Tanev had little-to-none as a first-time restricted free agent – and talks intensified in the past day or so before the deal was announced Thursday morning.

The one-year deals is a raise over Tanev’s 3-year, $900,000 per season entry level deal and gives Tanev more weight in contract talks next summer, when he will have arbitration rights, if he delivers a strong 2013-14 campaign for the Canucks.

The Toronto-raised defenceman, who went undrafted and was signed as a free agent out of college, established himself in 2013 as one of the Canucks’s top six defenders and was known as a steady hand in the Canucks end, with an agile poke check and a strong first pass to clear the zone. Offensively, he is a mostly a non-entity, with two goals and seven points in 38 games.

Tanev’s value will rise if he produces additional offence, said Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman in an interview Thursday morning. Talks, he said, went back and forth through the summer, with ideas of longer-term deals at various levels of salary.

“Chris is an evolving player who came virtually from nowhere to earn an every-day spot on our roster,” said Gilman. “This contract rewards him for the level of contribution he has provided so far, which is really as an adept, steady, and stable shutdown defenceman but recognizes there is more he can accomplish.”

Tanev, 6-foot-2, 185 pounds, appeared in the last three games of the 2011 Stanley Cup final just a year after he was signed out of one year of college.

Tanev was smaller than his peers as a teenager, which developed his style of game.

“I couldn't push people off the puck. It’s something I grew up doing. I had to,” said Tanev in an interview with The Globe in early March. The size-disadvantage remains true: the NHL features many opponents bigger than Tanev is - even though he can well handle bigger players in front of the net. “I’m still not as strong as a lot of these guys, so it's something I have to focus on, always having my stick in a good place.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e13914076/
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:
Tanev imo might be hard to re-sign...
Tanev's slight frame combined with his propensity to take massive hits by the opposing forecheck concerns me. Last year was Tanev's first time getting injured and if it he doesn't put on some weight, it won't be the last.

With Garrison gone, I feel our defense is now VERY susceptible to injury. We need a guy that is at least over 210 lbs and younger than 30 and Ehrhoff is not that guy.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

You're correct about needing more meat & potatoes guys, not some cream puff.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ehrhoff apparently only willing to sign with a contender. His opening demands....5x5
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Stick to your guns Ehrhoff. You don't need no pretenders.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Tciso wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Ehrhoff instantly becomes the most coveted d-man on the market tomorrow.

At 32, he won't sign for less than 6 years.

noidontthinksono
No one will sign him for 6 years. He just got bought out for 7 years. He was such a trade-able asset. Dumbest buy-out I have seen yet.
He got bought out by a joke that is Buffalo. He will draw plenty of interest from teams now that he isn't a cap recapture threat.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ehrhoff apparently only willing to sign with a contender. His opening demands....5x5
Getr done JB!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

The Hoff is all about the money. No heart
Fugged about it.
move along nothing to see here folks

(Edit)
Bahaha he wants to go to a contender,

...he was on a contender, racking up points and wins on the best power play unit in the league and was one game away from a Stanley cup and walked out for the cash. Don't bullshit me now.

Let him go play for the Rangers he's a perfect fit...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

sagebrush wrote:Actually, ... Edler's game went for a shit after Salo left. Check the stats.

Salo was the rock, the support structure for Edler.
Yeah, I did. His ppg dropped and his defensive play suffered badly. His plus/minus took a hit too.

Edler went from having Ehrhoff as a PPQB to being the defacto QB himself.....something that he just isn't, he doesn't have the poise to quickly receive a pass, settle a puck, and move the puck.

Salo only played 27 games in 2010-11. He played more in 2011-12.

Edler made more mistakes with the puck, and more mistakes away from the puck, after Ehrhoff left. Or maybe not, maybe they just weren't as noticeable because Ehrhoff is a very smart player and recovers quickly due to his skating. I don't know.

I've looked at all of Edler's stats, and despite what the Fenwick and Corsi are saying, the other stats, and what we saw on the ice, represent a case where Fenwick/Corsi aren't reflective of the actual player. He made countless mistakes with and without the puck, let go of his coverage, out of position, turnovers at the blueline, bad drop passes, couldn't hit the net, wasn't engaging physically.....
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ehrhoff apparently only willing to sign with a contender. His opening demands....5x5
Somehow his demands went way down, if reports are correct, 1yr contract with the Pens. :?