Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow »

So the Gagner story is weird. Tampa traded for him then was going to buy him out in a non compliance buy out. But Arizona came calling and he and Crombeen get sent there for a second. Plus word is Tampa retained 1/3 of Gagner's salary.

Wonder why they didn't just buy out Purcell? (Edit: Seems Younger than age 26 at the time of buyout, 1/3 the remaining value Age 26 or older at the time of the buyout, 2/3 the remaining value. Which also explains why they were prepared to retain 1/3 of his salary)

They then trade Nate Thompson for a couple of picks.

Stevie says he knows what FAs he wants and who is interested and what it will take. So it looks like he is clearing the deck to make some moves.

Also, Garrison's NTC does not follow him and word is he is being shopped. Now that would suck if they sent him to a team that offered a lot more than a second but would prove once again that NTC are an evil thing :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Columbus and Ryan Johansen far apart on his contract demands, the next ROR.

Highly unlikely he becomes available, so spitballin' could offer up (roster player) + Horvat + pick?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Going after Iginla makes sense from a Canucks perspective - he can still score, veteran leader, character guy, big body - but I don't see him signing with us. He's after a cup, don't see him plying his trade for the next two years in Van helping the team get back on the upswing and almost surely not contend for a title. If Boston doesn't keep him, some other contender will probably get him I expect.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:So the Gagner story is weird. Tampa traded for him then was going to buy him out in a non compliance buy out. But Arizona came calling and he and Crombeen get sent there for a second. Plus word is Tampa retained 1/3 of Gagner's salary.
I guess the 1/3 number is what a buy out would have cost them (per year) at half the term. Not too shabby for the Bolts I guess, if they were prepared to buy him out anyway.
Hockey Widow wrote:Also, Garrison's NTC does not follow him and word is he is being shopped.
None of that makes sense to me. Garrison is UFA age so his NTC should have been in effect (ie. no Carter/Richards style trade before it took effect which is what invalidates them).

Furthermore the Lightning actually gave up something of (moderate) value for Garrison, unless Yzerman is literally just picking up guys he thinks he can flip (ie. he's going to get something better than the 50th pick) it doesn't make much sense to acquire someone they don't plan to keep.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Canucks need to make a plan, either go with you and have them learn or go after FA and try to compete nowing thinking the prospects they have now will be the future of this team.

I disagree getting Ehrhoff or Iginla or any other other 30 UFA, it makes no sense what so ever. Great we make the playoffs and get bounced in the first roung again, draft mid pick rinse repeat recyle. Do this all over again.

Seriously is that what they are tying to do?

Miller is different, he provides some vet presence in net, we don't need that in the forward group, there is enough leadership to use on the rookies.

If there are deals to be made for 25 - 28 year olds, then fine go for that but anything else just puts this team in the middle of the pack once again.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Reefer2 wrote:Canucks need to make a plan, either go with you and have them learn or go after FA and try to compete nowing thinking the prospects they have now will be the future of this team.

I disagree getting Ehrhoff or Iginla or any other other 30 UFA, it makes no sense what so ever. Great we make the playoffs and get bounced in the first roung again, draft mid pick rinse repeat recyle. Do this all over again.

Miller is different, he provides some vet presence in net, we don't need that in the forward group, there is enough leadership to use on the rookies.

If there are deals to be made for 25 - 28 year olds, then fine go for that but anything else just puts this team in the middle of the pack once again.
I disagree you gotta have more than the twins, tweeners and inexperience or your youth won't develop. young players gotta have someone to follow into battle.
You also have to be able to have a chance to win 40 home games or the paying customer will vote with their feet.

A couple quality UFA vets is what this team needs now. Just so long as they are 2 year contracts... Maybe three for the right situation.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Reefer2 wrote:Canucks need to make a plan, either go with you and have them learn or go after FA and try to compete nowing thinking the prospects they have now will be the future of this team.

I don't mind the Iginla idea (not that I think they will actually get him) because it would be 2 yrs max, if it happened. I don't see a full on tanking in the works here - especially if they grab Miller - as Benning's theory is young guys win in teams that are trying to win, getting playoff experience, even if just in first round. McDavid is likely not in our future (Buffalo is cornering the market there) Getting Iginla or other proven vets short term gives some coverage for the young guys to grow as the team rebuilds. If they throw mad money/term at any vets, yes, that's whacko, but Horvat etc are at least 2-3 years out of being real contributors. Iginla is actually ideal in many respects, still can contribute and seems like a good leader/model, but it makes zero sense why he'd sign with the Canucks.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I can understand going after Iginla, but I don't know why he'd sign here either other than he loves Benning and Boston can't afford him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Signing Iggy would be worth it just to see the massive meltdown at the mongoloid farm .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Signing Iggy would be worth it just to see the massive meltdown at the mongoloid farm .
Here, here.

Plus Iggy would be a good mentor to young Kassian.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Signing Iggy would be worth it just to see the massive meltdown at the mongoloid farm .
Attachments
Iginla.jpg
Iginla.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

herb wrote:I can understand going after Iginla, but I don't know why he'd sign here either other than he loves Benning and Boston can't afford him.
OK the Dude has gone soft and mushy.. so someones gotta stir the pot :)

Iginla isn't coming here unless he is money motivated and the Canucks overpay him bigtime..
We are not a "middle of the pack team", let alone a contender. Gillis guaranteed that with his NT and NM deals.
We are stuck with the twins for 4 years at 7 mill each plus we kept our worst top 4 dman ( Edler ) . The Sedins have been in decline since 2011 .. Edlers stats speak for themself.. Kesler left a sinking ship to go to a contender . He had a so so year last year but was still the only Canuck to score over 20 goals.. So now we got an AHL coach and a team that might win a few games but surely is not going to make the playoffs.. If they really wanted to build a 'contender" they would have kept Booth used the compliance buyout to buy out Danny and kissed Keslers butt to keep him and built around him ( yeah, not much difference between a prick and an Asshole except when he is leaving )..
So in the last 2 years we have consistently made the wrong decisions.. Gillis should of been gone 2 years ago . The Sedin's should never been signed for 4 more years.. and Edler should have been traded for a tweener like we got for Kesler. We got 19 Mill in salary against the cap with 3 swedes that are vastly overpaid and we are no longer a contender and will not make the playoffs with the team as is even if we do sign Iginla ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Here, here.

Plus Iggy would be a good mentor to young Kassian.
Also, he would have more chances to pounce on Kesler. :mrgreen:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tiger wrote:
herb wrote:I can understand going after Iginla, but I don't know why he'd sign here either other than he loves Benning and Boston can't afford him.
OK the Dude has gone soft and mushy.. so someones gotta stir the pot :)

Iginla isn't coming here unless he is money motivated and the Canucks overpay him bigtime..
We are not a "middle of the pack team", let alone a contender. Gillis guaranteed that with his NT and NM deals.
We are stuck with the twins for 4 years at 7 mill each plus we kept our worst top 4 dman ( Edler ) . The Sedins have been in decline since 2011 .. Edlers stats speak for themself.. Kesler left a sinking ship to go to a contender . He had a so so year last year but was still the only Canuck to score over 20 goals.. So now we got an AHL coach and a team that might win a few games but surely is not going to make the playoffs.. If they really wanted to build a 'contender" they would have kept Booth used the compliance buyout to buy out Danny and kissed Keslers butt to keep him and built around him ( yeah, not much difference between a prick and an Asshole except when he is leaving )..
So in the last 2 years we have consistently made the wrong decisions.. Gillis should of been gone 2 years ago . The Sedin's should never been signed for 4 more years.. and Edler should have been traded for a tweener like we got for Kesler. We got 19 Mill in salary against the cap with 3 swedes that are vastly overpaid and we are no longer a contender and will not make the playoffs with the team as is even if we do sign Iginla ..
What a ridiculous post
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Tiger wrote: Iginla isn't coming here unless he is money motivated and the Canucks overpay him bigtime..
thx 4 ur thoughts