Canucks acquire Linden Vey

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Canucks acquire Linden Vey

Post by Rumsfeld »

mathonwy wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Not very strong either.

I think you're forgetting Matthias & Richardson. Vey will be on the wing & Horvat...maybe wing or jr again.
Rumsfeld wrote:
LOL, really?

If you're gunning for the 1st overall pick next year it's not too shabby. :lol:
I have zero expectations for the next couple seasons. I'm ok with being a sub .500 team full of youngsters trying to figure stuff out.
OK fine. It's still shabby as a motherfucker.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Rumsfeld wrote:

Shabby is the new chic.

#Racing4McDavid.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

mathonwy wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Shabby is the new chic.

#Racing4McDavid.
Is she hot?
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:Me too, I'm good with a proper rebuild.

The team sorta of screwed up the 94 rebuild and it took 10 years to get competitive again...they were lucky after the Naslund/Bertuzzi era to have an even better core read to rock and have been decent for the better part of 13 seasons.

This time they are getting straight to it, without brining in the likes of Messier and Moginly to add to a core that wasn't quite good enough.

If they are for some reason competitive this year, which they won't be, that's great. If not, they are fixing to be able to compete with LA, Chicago and Colorado in the upcoming years.

That said, they Canucks have nothing compared to Duchesne/MacKinnon coming down the pike.

Remember how easy it was to get tickets in 1999?!
How could they have been lucky to have had even a better core? Didn't someone have to have built that core?
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mondi wrote:
That said, they Canucks have nothing compared to Duchesne/MacKinnon coming down the pike.
Or Kane and Toews...

Or Seguin and Benn...

Or Getzlaf and Perry...

Or....

--

The Canucks are severely underpowered when compared to 75% of the western conference. With apologies to the Sedins but if there is a time for a down season, next season is that time.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

mathonwy wrote: I have zero expectations for the next couple seasons. I'm ok with being a sub .500 team full of youngsters trying to figure stuff out.
And that's the key, Horvat can play another year in junior imo, no need to rush him at this point,
Vey is 22, right handed, has paid his dues in the AHL for a couple seasons and has gotten a taste of the NHL this past season, he's ready for a full time role.

Kings fans alluded to their ultra stacked center depth which is why Vey was made available for a pick, may or may not be a steal, but I'd prefer his upside over Santorelli whom many have a hard on for, but he's no spring chicken, has a shoulder injury, only plays well on a contract year etc.

This team isn't expected to compete/contend for another couple seasons, unless we spend huge wads of ca$h on $tastny, so unless that happens bringing along the youngin's next season is a sound plan.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mondi wrote: This time they are getting straight to it, without brining in the likes of Messier and Moginly to add to a core that wasn't quite good enough.
We should really wait until Free Agency to make that assumption. They have a good chunk of money to spend ($17.7M) no big-ticket RFA's to sign (should be able to get both Kassian and Tanev for $5M, Vey will come cheap) and most roster spots filled.

Given that Vey is NOT exempt from waivers, you'd have to think the Canucks are going to slot him into the lineup in the fall as a regular player. Losing him on waivers isn't an option after giving up a 2nd rounder for him.

I don't think Benning is done with the roster, it seems that with Higgins, Hansen, Dorsett, Vey, Sestito, Matthias, Richardson and Horvat there is a glut of forwards that should be in the bottom-6 next yeaer. I'd expect Higgins or Hansen to be moved out. Personally, I'm hoping it's Hansen, as Higgins has proved to be more versatile.

The other option is to send Horvat back for his overage year. I imagine there are things on his offensive game he can work on, and we don't burn a year of his ELC. I don't see a need to rush him at this stage. This team will likely suck, and it would be better to let the veterans take the hit this season before a real youth movement can begin next season with a couple of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Gaunce (McDavid/Eichel ?? ;) ) etc. ready to make the jump to the bigs. They probably won't go that route, preferring to sell the "youth movement" to the retarded majority of Canuck fans.

All that aside, I expect Lindenning to go out and throw money at a couple UFA's, just to make us look more competitive than we really are, maybe get us into the 10th spot in the West.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Maybe a potential guy to replace Hansen on the 3rd line RW. I wonder how are his wheels and checking ability?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Hank
Bonino
Vey
Horvat

Thats not too shabby.
LOL, really?

Yeah that is as shabby as it gets actually.

*smacks Mathonwy upside head with a rolled-up newspaper*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Thats not too shabby.
LOL, really?

Isn't that what the past 2 days have been all about?
No it's not a rebuild, it's a retool.

Clearing cap-space is just Phase One.

I think I like this trade.

This kid has put up great numbers at the lower levels and you can't go wrong with a player named Linden.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Thats not too shabby.
LOL, really?

Isn't that what the past 2 days have been all about?
No it's not a rebuild, it's a retool.

Clearing cap-space is just Phase One.

I think I like this trade.

This kid has put up great numbers at the lower levels and you can't go wrong with a player named Linden.
It's a retool ......interesting ....
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”