Draft Day 2014

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Draft Day 2014

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I love how we now have the old Canuck GM hater - Tony Gallagher back to his old self now that his good friend Mike Gillis is no longer the GM of the Canucks. Bones Gallagher is back! Just ripping the Canuck brass a new one. LOL
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blaster86 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Why do you say that? Is there a story about him hating Vancouver?
He looked like he was in a funeral procession as he walked to the podium, then then interview with Duthie. Yikes. Obviously all first glance, and maybe he was just in sensory over load but Christ on a tricycle that's a bad first impression.

LOL

Ok, I thought maybe there was more to it. But ya he didn't like too happy. But he is a kid.
He just looked overwhelmed.....and judging by some of the ratings I think he dropped a bit lower than projected so maybe he felt a bit stung. Who knows. He followed up the "it is what it is" with an "I'm excited and honored to be part of the Canucks..."

The media will certainly spin this out of control.

Our prospect depth down the middle is probably deeper than it has ever been before.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

RoyalDude wrote:Great day today for the Canucks future, Virtanen and McCann with Horvat and Shinkaruk from last year, the future is looking a little brighter now. Nice to see so many decent prospects around the same age that will grow together with this team. Awesome

Yes the prospect pool just got a lot bigger. Only thing wrong is it's full of C+, B's at best and sorely lacking A's…but that's coming next year, mark my words.

We don't know what we have in Virtanen but at least we don't have to worry about Stojanov or Filatov. Ok hard to know if Ritchie or Nylander will prove to be better picks than Virtanen but we got the guy we thought was the safest (now please prove us right, Jake).

I look at it this way. The biggest thing that drove us nuts about Kesler was his inability to use linemates and we felt he would've been much better suited for wing if not for his draws and checking ability. Well we just might've replaced Kesler at wing today with an 18 year old version. JV sounds like the same kind of player.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You need depth on the farm, in the system, in the prospect pool to stay strong in the NHL today, you can't be constantly weakening that depth that Gillis and Nonis did. It is still proven that the best way to build winners is through the draft. Gillis finally got it in his last couple years, but too little too late. Benning seems to get it. Like someone said earlier today on 1040, might have been Eddie Olczyk, depth, depth, depth, just draft lots of kids, the bigger your prospect pool the better chance you have of kids coming up through the system boosting the team from within. Love it. Both Virtanen and McCann played good hockey at the U-18s. Hopefully those two make the WJC's next WJC.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Great day today for the Canucks future, Virtanen and McCann with Horvat and Shinkaruk from last year, the future is looking a little brighter now. Nice to see so many decent prospects around the same age that will grow together with this team. Awesome

Yes the prospect pool just got a lot bigger. Only thing wrong is it's full of C+, B's at best and sorely lacking A's…but that's coming next year, mark my words.
The first round is just icing on the cake.

Its the subsequent rounds that are really going to determine whether or not having a GM with the background like Benning does will pay dividends.

How many 2nd+ round players picked this year will be in the Canuck line up 4 years down the road? Presumably more than if Gillis was still charge.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Agreed. Every Cup team is built through the draft. It's proven there's absolutely no better way to build a team and we're at that stage where w have to build, maybe not yet from ground up but getting there soon.

It's a good head start accumulating the half dozen solid prospects we have now in the system. The more we have the better chances of having a few of them come up and surprise us. If one or two fail, and that will happen, at least you have a few others to rest your hopes on. I'm so sick of looking at our prospect pool and seeing no more than 1 or 2 guys with realistic hope and agonizing over every little thing they do.

I only wish there was a real blue chipper or two in there. Bo's our best hope and not to slight him but he's going to be at best an excellent 3rd liner, average 2nd liner. There are no front line players on the horizon, whereas the teams we're rebuilding with already have a few. The quantities there, not quite the quality. Like I said though, it'll come next year.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

mathonwy wrote:How many 2nd+ round players picked this year will be in the Canuck line up 4 years down the road? Presumably more than if Gillis was still charge.

Absolutely. Aside from the 1st round misses, it's those late round finds or lack there of that has really killed this franchise. Until Corrado becomes a regular Mason Raymond was really the last draft find of any significance we had beyond the 1st round. Since he's gone, that honour goes to Edler who was chosen a freakin' decade ago! :mad:

This will anger you all and I don't mean to on what should be a good day for the team, but have a look at the column on the right:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/team ... 08756.html

What a joke. Anybody says they draft no worse than most teams, just click and compare pretty much any other team and you'll see what an absolute joke we are. With that kind of drafting it's a miracle we haven't finished last yet..but that's coming.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
mathonwy wrote:How many 2nd+ round players picked this year will be in the Canuck line up 4 years down the road? Presumably more than if Gillis was still charge.

Absolutely. Aside from the 1st round misses, it's those late round finds or lack there of that has really killed this franchise. Until Corrado becomes a regular Mason Raymond was really the last draft find of any significance we had beyond the 1st round. Since he's gone, that honour goes to Edler who was chosen a freakin' decade ago! :mad:

This will anger you all and I don't mean to on what should be a good day for the team, but have a look at the column on the right:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/team ... 08756.html

What a joke. Anybody says they draft no worse than most teams, just click and compare pretty much any other team and you'll see what an absolute joke we are. With that kind of drafting it's a miracle we haven't finished last yet..but that's coming.
It was Nonis and Burke who traded second round pics like they were hockey cards.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis gave up a 2nd/3rd for Bernier, a 1st for Ballard, two 4ths for Pahlsson, whom those two 4ths turned out to be two pretty good prospects, a 2nd for Roy, 3rd round pick for Lapierre, 3rd round pick for Alberts, 3rd round pick for Higgins
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Canucks trade their 50th but I cannot seem to find the deal???
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Canucks trade 50th overall pick to LA for Linden Vey.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Canucks selected Nikita Tryamkin 66th overall. 6'7 229lb 19 year old from Russia. I know nothing about him but like the size!
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Gillis gave up a 2nd/3rd for Bernier, a 1st for Ballard, two 4ths for Pahlsson, whom those two 4ths turned out to be two pretty good prospects, a 2nd for Roy, 3rd round pick for Lapierre, 3rd round pick for Alberts, 3rd round pick for Higgins

So far Benning has given up a third and a second, both within 24 hours. OK, they were picks he previously acquired but still, he gave em up. He also gave up a 7th. If he can accomplish that n 24 hours just imagine how many picks he will gave given up in 5 years.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Gillis gave up a 2nd/3rd for Bernier, a 1st for Ballard, two 4ths for Pahlsson, whom those two 4ths turned out to be two pretty good prospects, a 2nd for Roy, 3rd round pick for Lapierre, 3rd round pick for Alberts, 3rd round pick for Higgins

So far Benning has given up a third and a second, both within 24 hours. OK, they were picks he previously acquired but still, he gave em up. He also gave up a 7th. If he can accomplish that n 24 hours just imagine how many picks he will gave given up in 5 years.
The 3rd was a swap in the Kesler trade which was then moved to acquire Dorsett.

The 7th was a cast-off to dump Garrison and his salary.

The 2nd was to acquire Linden Fey, a young player with promise. It was also the return on Garrison and not our own pick.

Gillis gave up picks and prospects and didn't really acquire any youth in return.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

The 3rd was a swap in the Kesler trade which was then moved to acquire Dorsett.

The 7th was a cast-off to dump Garrison and his salary.

The 2nd was to acquire Linden Fey, a young player with promise. It was also the return on Garrison and not our own pick.

Gillis gave up picks and prospects and didn't really acquire any youth in return.
Gillis was running a contender and trying to win a cup. Benning is rebuilding/retooling/restocking. Boston gave up a lot of picks and prospects trying to build depth for playoff runs.
The only HW the Canucks need