Garrison traded to Tampa Bay

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Garrison traded to Tampa Bay

Post by UWSaint »

Jason Garrison didn't do a thing for the team in the playoffs last year....
Hono_rary Canadian
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I didn't mind J-Garr as a player, but not a big deal if he moves or stays. I luved his big shot, but he was kind of average in all other areas of his game. Always kind of sucks to get rid of a hometown boy who luvs playing here, but it's nice to clear out his salary I guess.

I wonder if Pamela Anderson is going to move to Tampa. :lol:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Cornuck wrote:2nd unhappy player gone. Once again, we were expecting more of a return though.
From what I've heard, Garrison was happy to remain a Canuck. The only unhappiness was when the Canucks' multiple times asked him to waive his NTC before he finally relented. :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Betamax wrote:
Cornuck wrote:2nd unhappy player gone. Once again, we were expecting more of a return though.
From what I've heard, Garrison was happy to remain a Canuck. The only unhappiness was when the Canucks' multiple times asked him to waive his NTC before he finally relented. :mex:

Exactly. He was stunned, and hurt, then angry the way it was done. Benning basically called him and told him they don't see him in the top 4 and had a deal in place with St. Louis. He vetoed that deal and got shipped to Tampa. He was a very happy Canuck and thought he would retire here. It was a salary dump for a player they didn't see in the top 4 as that is now Tanev's spot.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:

Exactly. He was stunned, and hurt, then angry the way it was done. Benning basically called him and told him they don't see him in the top 4 and had a deal in place with St. Louis. He vetoed that deal and got shipped to Tampa. He was a very happy Canuck and thought he would retire here. It was a salary dump for a player they didn't see in the top 4 as that is now Tanev's spot.
It seems like everything you've reported yesterday ... is playing itself out. :mex:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Betamax wrote:It seems like everything TSN reported yesterday ... is playing itself out. :mex:
Totally.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Betamax wrote:It seems like everything TSN reported yesterday ... is playing itself out. :mex:
Totally.
Don't play those silly games and use my posts as a way to troll HW. :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Totally.

Ya Rummy. Why ya got it in for me? No way to treat a fat old lady who does nothing but make up internet rumours :mrgreen:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Totally.

Ya Rummy. Why ya got it in for me? No way to treat a fat old lady who does nothing but make up internet rumours :mrgreen:
Rummy hates everyone - just a bitter old man like his namesake. :lol:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Totally.
Troll?

Silly games?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Totally.

Just keeping a gal honest, H-Dubs. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I finally get the H-Dubs thing. Never understood it until today. I googled why the Dub was called the Dub. Now I get it.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I'm a bit surprised how little value Garrison had. A top 4 defenceman for us last season worth less than a mid round 2nd round pick. If Garrison is worth less than a mid round 2nd round pick, then I shudder to guess at what Edler is worth right now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:I'm a bit surprised how little value Garrison had. A top 4 defenceman for us last season worth less than a mid round 2nd round pick. If Garrison is worth less than a mid round 2nd round pick, then I shudder to guess at what Edler is worth right now.

Garrison had more value than that but only wanted to go to one of the Florida teams. Panthers weren't interested. Tampa actually did us a solid. Like I said we had a deal with St. Louis for Berglund straight up but Garrison refused to waive for the Blues.

All in all it was a cap dump for Benning and Tampa at least stepped up. The main part, it was a cap dump. Tanev steps into the number 4 spot so someone had to go.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:
mathonwy wrote:I'm a bit surprised how little value Garrison had. A top 4 defenceman for us last season worth less than a mid round 2nd round pick. If Garrison is worth less than a mid round 2nd round pick, then I shudder to guess at what Edler is worth right now.

Garrison had more value than that but only wanted to go to one of the Florida teams. Panthers weren't interested. Tampa actually did us a solid. Like I said we had a deal with St. Louis for Berglund straight up but Garrison refused to waive for the Blues.

All in all it was a cap dump for Benning and Tampa at least stepped up. The main part, it was a cap dump. Tanev steps into the number 4 spot so someone had to go.
Thanks for the recap HDub... I haven't had the time to keep up.

If, as you say, Garrison has more value than what we got for him and Garrison was just a cap dump, what do we need all the cap space for? The FA market is slim pickings.

Maybe its not a cap dump, and more of a "we don't need such a good defenseman on the Canucks at this point of time" so lets save some money?