Canucks Acquire Derek Dorsett for 85th Overall

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Dorsett for 85th Overall

Post by KeyserSoze »

Aaronp18 wrote: Seriously WTF is a Costello
:lol:

What are your thoughts on the Kesler deal?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

KeyserSoze wrote: What are your thoughts on the Kesler deal?
Not entirely thrilled with what we got back, however it had to be done.

The NTC lowers the salary we pay but it obviously lowers any return we can expect if a trade has to be done.

We get a younger centre, younger depth dman, and a 1st rounder. These can be used or packaged for something greater. And we have a shit ton of cap space now, can take salary back in a trade or perhaps sign an UFA.

Everyone who is concerned about replacing Kesler should check out our record without him in the lineup the past couple years.

Here's a blog about moving Kes from February:
http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/02/27 ... ut-kesler/

Like Luo he needed to be moved, he was one of the problems in the dressing room. It was too much about him and not the team.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:I'm just not a happy-no-matter-what-the-trade-or-signing is kind of type Sky.

I'd be thrilled if we'd landed the 10th and Bonino for Kesler. And I think a 3rd for Dorsett is shitty value when draft picks are so important for this franchise right now. The more swings you can take in the draft, the better the chances you belt a homer.

The Garrison trade doesn't bother me much, but I think his contract made him worth a 2nd-rounder.

So there you go.
I'm just happy there is change instead of the years of tinkering with fringe players Gillis.

I prefer this Keenan blow this fucker up and start fresh type.
Last edited by SKYO on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote: What are your thoughts on the Kesler deal?
Not entirely thrilled with what we got back, however it had to be done.

The NTC lowers the salary we pay but it obviously lowers any return we can expect if a trade has to be done.

We get a younger centre, younger depth dman, and a 1st rounder. These can be used or packaged for something greater. And we have a shit ton of cap space now, can take salary back in a trade or perhaps sign an UFA.

Everyone who is concerned about replacing Kesler should check out our record without him in the lineup the past couple years.

Here's a blog about moving Kes from February:
http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/02/27 ... ut-kesler/

Like Luo he needed to be moved, he was one of the problems in the dressing room. It was too much about him and not the team.
That's an interesting blog. The stats about winning without Kesler surprised me quite a bit.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I luv getting gritty guys on the team, but not sure about Dorsett. He racks up alot of PIMs, but is a bit on the small side to take on the heavy weights. I dunno, he looks like a Tanner Glass, but with more grit and belligerence. A 3rd rounder seems like a bit much for him. Would luved to have just kept Weiser. :(
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

This goes under the same WTF category as the Sestito two-year contract extension last year.
dondo
AHL Prospect

Post by dondo »

Sad about this for two reasons... Dorsett is not worth 85th overall and he's a cheap piece of crap -- and a biter (bit Kenndal McArdle in the WHL playoffs) - he's kind of a loose cannon kind of pest as well and takes cheap-ass extra shots whenever he gets a chance. I for one don't like having those kinds of players on the team, but maybe Willie can smarten him up and settle him down.
Nucks fan for years a huge fan of that other vancouver hockey squad http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He's a head butter too!
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:He's a head butter too!
This is the "Boston Model" remember?

You mad? :mex:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:
This is the "Boston Model" remember?

You mad? :mex:

No, not mad at all. I think I'm just feeling the effects of that damn window when it closed on my hands. It just seems so real now with Luongo and Kesler gone and the rebuild is on.
dondo
AHL Prospect

Post by dondo »

Indeed I was shocked he didn't get suspended for that move... let's break it down shall we? A hit to the head, first point of contact the head, gratuitous after the whistle attack and yet the league didn't even blink .. he should have got a couple of games at least in my mind

Yeah I had the misfortune watching him cheat and cheapshot his way through the 2006 WHL playoffs ... I truly hate the player and one of the reasons I loved seeing the Rangers lose the cup was Dorsett. We nicknamed him "snappy the turtle" after he bit McArdle -- next game we brought wind-up chattering teeth and put them up to the glass every time he skated by -- might have to ressurect that
Nucks fan for years a huge fan of that other vancouver hockey squad http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Love the Dorset trade. Finally the Canucks have someone who will dish it out instead of taking it. With Sestito on the other wing, we now have some push back when the other team starts the usual BS that the refs always let go. I love in your face hockey. I know that some of you love figure skating but not me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canuck-One wrote:Love the Dorset trade. Finally the Canucks have someone who will dish it out instead of taking it. With Sestito on the other wing, we now have some push back when the other team starts the usual BS that the refs always let go. I love in your face hockey. I know that some of you love figure skating but not me.
LOL nice. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

dondo wrote:We nicknamed him "snappy the turtle" after he bit McArdle -- next game we brought wind-up chattering teeth and put them up to the glass every time he skated by -- might have to ressurect that
So what you're saying is Burrows is expendable now?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I honestly don't get the Dorset trade.